What Sports Do We All Play?

I realize we all come from very different backgrounds, but I've always been enchanted with sports and hoped that other queer people would be athletes along with me. Having said that, what sports do we all play, and does anyone play in a competitive sense?

Right now I'm just curling (ask if you're not sure :P) and getting into some personal training, but I used to play baseball, hockey, volleyball, tennis and basketball. I also swim and run in my spare time to keep myself fit.

Trying to get back into the competitive curling scene, and used to be a competitive baseball pitcher.

It would be interesting to see which sports people are most active in around here.

• Like 2

Growing up, I was always playing all kinds of different sports. At one point or another in my life I played football, baseball, basketball, hockey, skiing, snowboarding, Tae-Kwan-Do, and soccer. 

Now I play flag football (both in a recreational league and a competitive team), play on a rec dodgeball team, and still ski in the winters (although not as much as I used to now that I live in the city). I also go to the gym 4-5x a week and have taken up running to help stay in shape. 

Skiing was always my #1 passion growing up though. I was put on skis at three years and have been skiing ever since. It was the one sport where I was better then almost everybody else, and I was even a ski instructor/supervisor for 9 years in high school and college. 

• Like 1

I was never a competitive athlete, but always kept active. As a kid in school, it was running. In my twenties, MMA and fencing (rapier). In my thirties, bicycling and fencing (broadsword). In my forties, paddling canoes and kayaks. Now, although I still pull out my bike or kayak once in a while, I do more hiking and backpacking than anything else.

• Like 1

Growing up, I was always playing all kinds of different sports. At one point or another in my life I played football, baseball, basketball, hockey, skiing, snowboarding, Tae-Kwan-Do, and soccer. 

Now I play flag football (both in a recreational league and a competitive team), play on a rec dodgeball team, and still ski in the winters (although not as much as I used to now that I live in the city). I also go to the gym 4-5x a week and have taken up running to help stay in shape. 

Skiing was always my #1 passion growing up though. I was put on skis at three years and have been skiing ever since. It was the one sport where I was better then almost everybody else, and I was even a ski instructor/supervisor for 9 years in high school and college. 

Oh, gosh, I know what you mean about skiing. I came to it later in life, but I love it. I'm definitely not as good as you though, it's just a hobby for me, but I love being on the mountain. The mountain, however, is eager to harm me. So many injuries, so little time to share them all :P

I was never a competitive athlete, but always kept active. As a kid in school, it was running. In my twenties, MMA and fencing (rapier). In my thirties, bicycling and fencing (broadsword). In my forties, paddling canoes and kayaks. Now, although I still pull out my bike or kayak once in a while, I do more hiking and backpacking than anything else.

Oooohh, you fenced? I always wanted to, that's really interesting, and especially with rapiers since that would have been my weapon of choice. What made you give up fencing?

Does being a mathlete count? :P

Seriously, I've never been into any sports, the only thing I ever really like doing was reading :)

I used to be a mathlete. Then it started getting into theoretical math and I failed miserably. I do think there's something to be said about academics; there's a lot of the same discipline needed to become really studious and understanding academic principles.

• Site Administrator

I don't play any sports at the moment, but when I was very young I did athletics. The only event I was ever any good at was race walking (made the district finals one year). The main sport I did was a youngster was basketball -- both playing and refereeing. Other than that...nothing :)

• Like 1

I'm into water sports...

Lmao :lol:

I was involved in my company Kickball league as an outfielder and 3rd basemen (It's like baseball and soccer had an illegitimate child, it's not an official sport sadly; though millions play it.)

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I played softball at age 14 for my school for one season. I broke a finger, got 8 stitches in my face after I took a softball to the glasses/eye, and split my top lip and broke a tooth when I got nailed a 2nd time in the face. Sports... not for me. You wouldn't believe how many injuries I took in PE classes too. It didn't matter what it was, soccer, football, hockey, volleyball... bruises, blood blisters, twisted ankles, jammed fingers abounded. Weight training took up my last 2 years of PE in school--the only safe place in the gym for me, lol. Most people don't consider it a sport, but I do archery now (practice for hunting) and I'm very competitive about my groupings when I'm at the range. I even have a set of arrows I robin hooded.

• Like 1

Being raised a military BRAT (Born Raised and Transferred) is a recipe for jock-dom.

I played everything and one point or another except soccer. It just wasn't around in my part of the South at the time. 

I was never good at baseball as I could never hit decently. Wasn't till later that I figured out that I needed glasses. 

Same problem with basketbrawl but set a mean pick. 

• Like 1

Being raised a military BRAT (Born Raised and Transferred) is a recipe for jock-dom.

I played everything and one point or another except soccer. It just wasn't around in my part of the South at the time. 

I was never good at baseball as I could never hit decently. Wasn't till later that I figured out that I needed glasses. 

You probably made a good Footbrawler then :D

Was it revered in the South back in the 70's or was it still basketball country.

• Like 1

You probably made a good Footbrawler then :D

Was it revered in the South back in the 70's or was it still basketball country.

South Eastern Conference football was royalty and, Bear Bryant was king.

Bear_Bryant.jpg

Kentucky basketball was so good that we played the regular season games to see who else was in the NCAA tourney besides for da Cats, Louisville and Duke.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

As any good kid from the suburbs of Utah I played football and baseball and used to enjoy shooting hoops in my driveway. Various reasons stopped me from playing, though I still love throwing a football around.

Now I'm a sucker for personal endurance like hiking, rock climbing, swimming, yoga (is it a sport?), running and biking. The only thing I do remotely competitive is running in a few long distance races. Exercise is the best.

• Like 2

I've never gotten into soccer either. Maybe someone who plays can explain it, but I've never seen what's so exciting or interesting about soccer.

As any good kid from the suburbs of Utah I played football and baseball and used to enjoy shooting hoops in my driveway. Various reasons stopped me from playing, though I still love throwing a football around.

Now I'm a sucker for personal endurance like hiking, rock climbing, swimming, yoga (is it a sport?), running and biking. The only thing I do remotely competitive is running in a few long distance races. Exercise is the best.

Exercise is good, but it's so hard to stay motivated to do it... I'm supposed to go on 7 kilometer runs (4.36 miles or so) twice a week and I just don't have it in me. Is football really that popular in the states?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I played softball for a little bit as a kid, but totally sucked at it. lol  I was on the track team in high school.  I was always happy if I wasn't last. :gikkle:  My biggest sport was equestrian.  I rode horses and used to compete in jumping shows.  I was much better at that than at traditional sports.

• Like 1

I'm a life long Gooner! (I wonder how many members of GA know what I mean by that). In the UK, I spent much of my youth watching and playing football (still can't call it soccer). In Canada, like everybody else I love watching hockey (Maple Leafs) and Baseball (Blue Jays). I've tried playing both, but was always hindered with poor eyesight. Swimming and cycling are two sports that I loved as a teenager but sadly not really competitive at either.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed sports - soccer and baseball, especially - but never been much good at them. Lousy eyesight never helped. Now in my dotage, I'm a coach - Lacrosse. I have always enjoyed the strategy involved in coaching.

• Like 1

I must admit that I preferred watching sports more than playing them growing up though being born and raised in the Philippines meant that basketball was pretty much a requirement. Sucked at it but played it anyway. Also played badminton competitively during high school and university but haven't participated in a tournament in a few years.

Only other thing I really played was 10 pin bowling. Was part of a league growing up since my grandparents were very into it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Exercise is good, but it's so hard to stay motivated to do it... I'm supposed to go on 7 kilometer runs (4.36 miles or so) twice a week and I just don't have it in me. Is football really that popular in the states?

Dude... I feel like football is everything here...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I do photography for sport....  I carry tripod and stuff and do hiking.

I was never good at sport in school....  Being gay, my wrists were too limp to dribble, and my legs were too dainty to run....  Oh my good, what if the boys were watching me in locker room!!! #faint.

• Like 1

I do photography for sport....  I carry tripod and stuff and do hiking.

I was never good at sport in school....  Being gay, my wrists were too limp to dribble, and my legs were too dainty to run....  Oh my good, what if the boys were watching me in locker room!!! #faint.

Not sure if you're serious or not... either way, the stereotype is sort of unfortunate considering how many of us are/were athletically inclined.