GA sign in

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

The past two days I've had to sign in on both Chrome (Version 59.0.3071.115 Official Build 64 bit) on my PC (Windows 10 Home version - 1703 build - 15063.447) and Safari (using Google search engine) on my iPad Pro (iOS 10.3.2) despite clicking the 'remember me' box. In a recent status update Daddydavek and Puppilull replied that they were having similar issues. Is this a glitch? Or is it something on our end causing the issue?

Edit to add: After having been away from GA for around an hour or so I've been bumped off again on the iPad Pro... and my PC.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

I've been experiencing this as well - I thought it had something to do with me using a different network than usual as I'm on holiday. Chrome on Windows, and Chrome on Android.

I usually have several tabs open for different sites and when the focus is on other sites for more than about 30 minutes I find I have to log back in.  This happens on both the desktop running Windows 10 using Chrome and on my Kindle tablet using Silk which is Amazon's version of Chrome.

Hmm, Timothy M said he's having this issue, too. I thought it might be a Google Chrome issue but because I'm having a difficulty of a different nature (read my recent status update) I've uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome on my PC, and I'm still being bumped off.

• Site Administrator

I echo Renee's concern. That would be the simple answer, and those are the best to try first. Check your browser cache settings, make sure you haven't set them to clear cookies periodically or when you close the browser.

This happens to me just about every day on my iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.2, Safari but not in a consistent pattern that I've identified. But in general, I think it's better not to stay logged in to sites continuously, so having to sign on again doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

@Renee Stevens @Cia I did not have my cache and cookies set to clear automatically before uninstalling Chrome on my PC and I just checked the new install and that setting remains the same, apparently off is the default setting. Safari also allows cookies without clearing. I'm not having this problem with any other websites, it seems to be GA specific.

1 hour ago, Renee Stevens said:

Have any of you somehow set your browser to clear the cache/cookies when you close the browser? 

I use a private browser setting, so (hopefully) no cookies, but I don't think it clears during a session.

42 minutes ago, George Richard said:

But in general, I think it's better not to stay logged in to sites continuously, so having to sign on again doesn't bother me. 

Yes, I agree, which is why I haven't mentioned it, even though getting logged off happens much faster after the update. I just wanted to add to Ron's info, in case it helped.

• Like 1
Just now, Timothy M. said:

I use a private browser setting, ...even though getting logged off happens much faster after the update...

I should have mentioned it,

but I'm on a private browser settimg

also. And I agree-- getting logged off happens faster now. 

• Like 1

I haven't had this problem until a few days ago and I haven't updated any settings re cache or similar. It happens on my laptop (Chrome) and Samsung phone (5s mini). 

It's not a major problem, but a little annoying since I have to log on. 

I have this problem with my iPhone, iPad and my laptop the past few days. I have trouble remembering my password for GA so now I don't have THAT problem anymore

(trying to stay positive on my birthday ;) )

Edited by Slytherin
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

It looks like the code added in the last Stories update to remember custom sorting details and drop them after a set time (an hour?) is catching the signed in status as well.  If you have been logged in and not created a new cookie... it should stay... if you logout, then it corrupts the cookie.  I think.  I've alerted the programmer and hopefully it'll be fixed in the next few hours.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

I have this issue off and on with Chrome. Sometimes it happens even while I'm trying to post a reply. I thought it might have been the change over to the new software or a security feature so I never said anything about it. I don't clear cookies The only thing I might speculate about is that I typically have several windows open with multiple tabs and this could be an issue in the chrome browser itself when you exceed X number of tabs. It hasn't happened the last several days, but I haven't had a ton of tabs open either.

Edit...  Seeing Myr's posts, it could be I had a story open at the times this happened. It seemed to have no regularity about it, but my story reading hasn't been as steady as it once was lately.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution
  1. Please log out of the site.
  2. Clear your browser cache
    1. For Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=en&visit_id=1-636343767460371778-920911596&rd=1
    2. For FireFox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache
    3. For Edge: https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-clear-cache-and-cookies-in-microsoft-edge-browser/
    4. For Internet Explorer:  Please download Chrome or Firefox
    5. For Safari: http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-clear-the-Safari-cache-on-your-iPhone-or-iPad_id69633
  3. Close the browser
  4. Open a new browser and log in.

Let us know if this does not fix the issue.

15 hours ago, Myr said:

Let us know if this does not fix the issue.

I dislike being the bearer of bad news but after going through the motions, nothing has changed on either of side of the vehicle, Myr.

To add: I did not get bumped off overnight this time.👍🏻

Edited by Ron
20 minutes ago, Renee Stevens said:

Sorry to say that mine is still kicking me off constantly.

Yeah, I spoke too soon. I wasn't kicked off overnight but I've been kicked off throughout the day on both PC and IPad.