Topic Tuesday #1: On Writing by Stephen King

I actually have never read this book from Stephen King! And I'm a HUGE King fan too! But I've watched a lot of his assemblies on YouTube about writing, and found them really interesting. I need to pick it up some time. I've always been a loyal fanatic. :)

Still haven't read his sequel to "The Shining" yet, but it's been getting mixed reviews. Not that it matters. I've GOTTA see it!

• Like 3

I’ve not read this, but now I’m thinking that maybe I should, so thanks :)  And I like this concept too.

On a (almost) related note, I’d point people towards The View From The Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman.  It’s not specifically ‘a book about writing’ or ‘how to write’, but in it he talks a lot about writing, the process, and the experience, which as a novice I’ve found very useful, reassuring, and occasionally inspiring too.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Comicality said:

I actually have never read this book from Stephen King! And I'm a HUGE King fan too! But I've watched a lot of his assemblies on YouTube about writing, and found them really interesting. I need to pick it up some time. I've always been a loyal fanatic. :)

Still haven't read his sequel to "The Shining" yet, but it's been getting mixed reviews. Not that it matters. I've GOTTA see it!

Are you referring to Doctor Sleep?  It's okay.  Not bad by any means, but it's hard to write a follow up to something as cool as The Shining

That being said, On Writing is great.  Whenever people ask about a good book on writing, this is always the first one that comes to my head.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I haven't read King's book, but it's referenced all over in books I have. 

I do have one that, come to think if it, I'm going to reread. Plot and Structure by Scott Bell. It's part of a series where in different authors tackle different parts of story and craft. But the author Bell clicked with my thinking more than the others. 

Even if I can't claim to following his advice, it always gets me thinking and motivated. 

For the King book, I've put myself on the wait list for the local library ebook copy. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I enjoyed On Writing a lot. It's half biography and half writing tips. I think most of his advice is good, but might not work for everyone. Like, I think he recommends writing everyday, but that might not be practical for everyone. As with all advice, take it with a grain of salt and figure out what works for you. 

• Like 2