You're Not Alone!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Yours?

• No one will read it
    • No one will like it
    • I'll get mean comments from readers
    • I don't remember any of the writing rules so my editing will suck
    • My story is going to be boring, and I won't be able to finish it
    • What if people think I'm weird because I write something "different"?
    • Readers won't like my story because I'm a woman writing MM fiction
    • Share your choice, or write your own anxiety in a post and how you overcame it

• Site Administrator

You did it! 🎉 You clicked on the first of Cia's Weekend Writing Challenges. But what is it? Well, if you're totally unsure, you missed the intro topic here. Make sure you check that out. For those in the know, let's get going on today's lesson and challenge. Before we start diving into writing... let's write about writing for the first time. You know, the actual act of sitting down with a notebook and a pen or pencil. Or a empty word document and a keyboard. Or a whole batch of sticky notes you plan to slap all over the wall in some sort of order. 

Because before you can share your story, you have to write it. And as you're doing that, your mind tends to go a lot of places. And think back to that first time. You might have had a different process back then. I'm sure you've grown as an author in the meantime, both in skills and in confidence. But there's a moment all authors all remember because it's etched indelibly into your mind... when you hit publish, or save, or share, for the first time. Then the anxiety hits, the acid in your stomach churns, and you watch compulsively to see what happens.

Is the poll starting to make sense now?  

No matter how great we think we are, or people tell us we are, or our stories are, insecurity plagues all authors from time to time. We just don't know how our work will be received. Is the story in our head what came out on paper? Do our characters make people laugh or cry or want to strangle them? Is the story believable or is it just so entertaining reader won't care if we play a little fast and loose with reality? 

Can we write at all? Do we dare write and share something else?

What were your fears as you began your journey as an author? When you first allowed your work out into the public in all its first-time glory? I think you might find you're not so alone, and if you're a would-be author on the site... you might just find the courage to face that same fear and conquer it too! 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Well, I'll go first. I really did think my first story was going to be boring, that I wouldn't be able to figure out all the twists and turns in the scifi universe I wanted to create, and that I'd give up, or lose the interest of readers, and wouldn't be able to finish it. After all, I never had before except for silly little high school assignments that meant nothing. I literally remember sitting at the computer, chewing on my lip and watching to see if someone posted any comments. I can't tell you how many times I hit refresh. It's embarrassing. We didn't have read counts back then either, so it was especially nerve-racking. I thought no one would like it, and I'd be told... yeah, no, that's just not something you should pursue/write more of. 

That didn't happen. 

Okay, so the editing is atrocious, and I cringe when I read The Price of Honor now, but the bones of the story and the characters are there. Readers liked it. They encouraged me to keep going. They thought my ideas were original (until Avatar came out--hey, somewhat pastoral/foresty/hunting/violent blue aliens were in my story first, but there were also lots of blue alien stories before that my story and that movie came out too!) and creative. I was nearly hunted down when I killed a main character--just temporarily, he came back to life--and the story went on to epic lengths. It's still on GA is basically the same form it was first posted in, mostly so I can point it out and say, "Yikes! See, we all grow as authors from somewhere." lol

A good author tells a good story and entertains people. A great author takes a good story or stories, and learns how to write them to the best of their ability because this isn't just about entertaining people. It's a craft. A skill. An art. Something to be proud of. And sure, rules are meant to be broken, so sometimes it makes sense to mix first and third person point-of-view or have a character who constantly uses passive voice structured thoughts when your inner editor (or your beta readers/outer editors) might be screaming about active phrasing being "better"... but you have to know the rules to break them. 

So, once I overcame my anxiety of posting that first chapter. My fears didn't come to pass. Then I had to keep overcoming them with each new story and each new thing I decided to try. But as I explored all the different aspects of writing, and strove to learn editing (English grammar is the most nonsensical mash of language rules there is on the planet, I swear!) I improved. I keep improving, which is necessary because rules keep changing. Did you know, the possessive 's rule changed from words that end in s only have the apostrophe and no s after them, as in ex: Keeping up the Jones' that we learned when most of us were kids is now written with the 's added IF you verbalize the s when you say a possessive that ends in s? So it's now, ex: Keeping up with the Jones's. 

Seriously. That changed like 2 years ago in the Chicago Manual of Style. It went from not being the style, to both being accepted, to the 's being the accepted style. Of course, then you have to consider books that are series, especially ones that are close in timelines. Do you change it in ongoing and future books? Do you keep the editing standard the same to avoid new readers thinking it's a typo in older to newer books if they read the series in order back-to-back? 

Fortunately, we're not going to get into that nitty gritty of the grammar rules in these lessons. We're going to look at the basics of some things, like punctuation, word choices, dialogue and tone, characterization, setting, plot flow, arcs, all the general stuff that's great to learn but that new authors might not know they should know if they don't already know it. 

So... authors, what were your anxieties when you first started posting? Was it here on GA? Elsewhere? Feel free to set the stage, share the story of the sharing of the first story or just lay it out for us all regular-like too. 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

I was more excited than nervous when I posted my first story here. (and I hit the refresh button a gazillion times too :gikkle: )   I wasn't anticipating negative reactions because I had been a lurker on GA for a while before then, and it was the supportive atmosphere here that prompted me to start writing again.  I'd also had some experience with putting my writing "out there".  I've always done well with writing assignments, whether they were creative or technical, and received compliments on both style and mechanics.  Shortly after I graduated with my first degree, I was part of a small group of writers who met monthly and shared/discussed our poetry and short stories.  I've also read my poetry several times at open mic nights.  So I was pretty confident my prompts would be liked, and when I decided to expand one of them into a longer work, I found a beta reader to give me input on story structure and content.  Having the reassurance that a well-respected and known member on the site liked the story gave me the confidence to post a longer work.  I will admit that I still get butterflies at times when I send a story or chapter off to my team, but I know if it passes their scrutiny, then it's likely to be well-received by my readers.  

• Like 5

I checked off several of the boxes up top. The key three being:

1. No one will read it.

2. No one will like it.

3. My story is going to be boring, and I won't be able to finish it.

And then add-on one that was not on the list:

4. My disabilities will keep me from finishing it.

I really don't care about writing rules, I see them as more as tools to be used or discarded as needed to tell your story. To be quite honest, I wish more people would "break the rules" more often. I even tried to get people to do it as part of some "Site Member Writing Prompts" I did on the Forums.

I'm a notorious serial poster. This is due to my disabilities, as I "cycle" a lot because I lose focus/interest in things, but pick them back up soon after. I have a few now, that I have posted but "On Hold" as I write other things. I have a current project, that I've been focused on for a while now. So far, it's going well.

• Like 4

I chose the sharing of my own anxiety so here we go.

My first time publishing on GA was when I began to put my poetry out for others to read. I was not scared of publishing it or if others enjoyed the poems, however my fear lays in rejection.  If someone doesn’t enjoy what I wrote from my heart and soul, how are they going to enjoy anything else I write? 

I found the courage to publish more by reading a few stories here and there.  Reading the comments from those stories made me realize that even if others don’t understand or appreciate my work doesn’t mean that my work is less important to put out for others to read. If I can help one person to find creativity, inspiration, or hope from my works then I have done my job as an author. 

• Like 5

Mine was definitely ‘no one will like it’ - but back then, I genuinely didn’t care that much.  The anxiety set in later, when I posted the second chapter, and it started to feel like a real ‘thing’.  I was posting blind, sending it out with little structure and no built in feedback, so my only option was to hope that maybe someone would bother to email me (presumably hate it so much).

As it turned out, people did email me, and were generally very nice, so I wrote some more, and finished the story.  And now I continue to write, inflicting it upon unsuspecting browsers and careless clickers.  I think I’ve passed peak anxiety now, although there is always a degree of trepidation once something is out there.

Edited by Sam Wyer
Spelly, typing, all of it
  • Like 5