The Drop in Centre

45 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Almost every European visitor to the US I've met comments on the sweetness in bread here. It's a very American thing, to have sugar in breads that are not meant for dessert. We just grow used to the sweet taste. It took a long time for me to accept bread without sugar as "normal". Now we eat a lot of Dave's Killer Bread. The only sugars in it are from various organic fruit juices.

I can't eat mass-produced white bread at all anymore. It tastes completely off to me, and I have VIOLENT reactions to it (gluten sensitivity). Funny enough, Dave's Killer Bread doesn't set me off, even though it's still made with wheat. For whatever reason, the higher the quality the bread the less it sets me off.

I'll tell you what I liked about the regular bread the hotel had in the breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. It had a nice really dark chewy type crust on the top. I hate bread that looks half baked, I want it to look practically burned.

When I had a cook/housekeeper here she could make the bread come out just like the Amsterdam bread. Then she retired and I wasn't home all that much so I never got another cook. Just the maid service weekly.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

deconstructed cabbage rolls.. yummy

Totally yummy, yes. 

It’s still tasty with a good texture reheated after being frozen, which is great - I freeze it in single serving sizes. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Reading these posts I’ve learned a lot about bread making. I had no clue there were some important facts pertinent to making good bread. So yay to learning many new things tonight. :D 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Totally yummy, yes. 

It’s still tasty with a good texture reheated after being frozen, which is great - I freeze it in single serving sizes. 

Cabbage is one of those veggies that I'm slowly learning to like. I'm not yet ready to commit to making cabbage rolls..whole or deconstructed...yet.  I'm still in the phase where cabbage is the supporting actor on my recipes, not the star of the show. I'll make the leap one of these days!

That does look good though!

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
21 minutes ago, kbois said:

Cabbage is one of those veggies that I'm slowly learning to like. I'm not yet ready to commit to making cabbage rolls..whole or deconstructed...yet.  I'm still in the phase where cabbage is the supporting actor on my recipes, not the star of the show. I'll make the leap one of these days!

That does look good though!

I’ve been eating cabbage - in the form of cabbage rolls - from a very young age thanks to my grandma, so it’s something I never think about. As an adult I did start using shredded cabbage in place of lettuce in wraps and sandwiches. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I’ve been eating cabbage - in the form of cabbage rolls - from a very young age thanks to my grandma, so it’s something I never think about. As an adult I did start using shredded cabbage in place of lettuce in wraps and sandwiches. 

The town I grew up in you were either French, Irish, Polish or some combination. My best friend is French/Polish. I still can remember how her house smelled when her grandmother was over making golabki. Kinda stunk!

I am Irish/French and the only time we had cabbage was St. Patrick's Day. I ate the corned beef and potatoes...skipped the cabbage. I was a really picky eater as a kid. Drove my mom nuts. 

Edited by kbois
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, kbois said:

The town I grew up in you were either French, Irish, Polish or some combination. My best friend is French/Polish. I still can remember how her house smelled when her grandmother was over making golabki. Kinda stunk!

The smell cooked kippers give off is the one thing I truly can’t stand. Thinking back to my childhood, I remember my mom having some for her dinner her being Scottish this is something she actually liked. I recall I nearly passed out from the smell alone, it was that horrendous. :puke:

• Haha 2

the forecast is for more rain for the next week.... i heard one forecaster call it a "drought busting weather system"

anyway... have a good day

don't let everyone else saying how Monday's are awful get to you. take a deep breath & do your best. 

see all y'all later

Edited by mollyhousemouse
  • Love 5

Just what I wanted on a Monday with vacation so close I can almost taste it.. .

My shotgun weilding resident is out of jail and back at his house. Nothing I can do legally as the eviction is in the hands of the lawyer and the county Court system 

Of course my residents are freaking out. Maybe now they won't hesitate to call 911 if this guy acts up again. 

• Wow 2
  • Sad 3
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

the forecast is for more rain for the next week.... i heard on forecaster call it a "drought busting weather system"

anyway... have a good day

don't let everyone else saying how Monday's are awful get to you. take a deep breath & do your best. 

see all y'all later

Thanks Molly! I needed to hear this today!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
15 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

deconstructed cabbage rolls.. yummy

Deconstructed cabbage rolls. I like this. :thumbup:

Spoiler

I can be a little slow, sometimes... :P 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

you're most welcome

it's not always easy, and i often fail at it. the thing is to never give up :hug:

Nope...rarely is it ever easy when you're having one of 'those' days. 

Especially when an ink cartridge in the stupid printer keeps popping out of place and now your hand looks like it massacred an entire Smurf village. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

All I can do is laugh at this point....

Hope everyone else has a good Monday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Deconstructed cabbage rolls. I like this. :thumbup:

Hide contents

I can be a little slow, sometimes... :P 

Michael makes a similar thing and that's what He calls it  ... we both love cabbage and eat it often. We love it in stir fry... for convenience we buy the prechopped coleslaw version and add chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, water chestnuts and bamboo. Whip up some sauce and dinner!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Michael makes a similar thing and that's what He calls it  ... we both love cabbage and eat it often. We love it in stir fry... for convenience we buy the prechopped coleslaw version and add chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, water chestnuts and bamboo. Whip up some sauce and dinner!

Oh....I haven't had stir fry in a while. Looks like I'll be stopping for some veggies on my way home one day this week. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Sounds wonderfully delicious. :) 

Is there a usual sauce you use or do you vary it re flavour change? 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Sounds wonderfully delicious. :) 

Is there a usual sauce you use or do you vary it re flavour change? 

i just make a little stir fry sauce.. i dont measure. I slosh come soy sauce in a pot, rice wine vinegar, a bit of some korean bbq sauce we have in the fridge, some sesame oil, some splenda brown, chopped garlic, fresh or powered ginger (whichever i have), some sesame seeds and some chicken stock (or 1/2 a chicken cube and a bit of water) .. all this will be less than a cup total.  I cook it a bit and then make a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up.. very thick cuz it will thin when you pour it on the stir fry.

I rarely use it all, cuz it's a strong flavour

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kbois said:

Oh....I haven't had stir fry in a while. Looks like I'll be stopping for some veggies on my way home one day this week. 

Stir fry is a great way to add veggies. Michael loves them.. the more bits the better.. I marinate the chicken which i cut into small pieces in just a touch of soy sauce and garlic and ginger... then i coat it in cornstarch .. it looks nasty.. but then i cook it in the wok on its own.. and it is moist and beautiful.  I cook the broc and mushroom separately first.. because the cabbage doesnt take long. It's a quick dinner really.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Burgers tonight... likely cheese burgers with fresh tomato and sweet potato fries oh and coleslaw.  Pumpkin loaf with raisins and pecans for later.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Burgers tonight... likely cheese burgers with fresh tomato and sweet potato fries oh and coleslaw.  Pumpkin loaf with raisins and pecans for later.

Please tell me you're going to start your own food prep business. I would gladly pay going rate plus shipping to the US. Instead of Hello, Fresh...you could be Hello tim!🤣🤣

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Phil did burgers last night, with regular fries. We had fresh mangoes later

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, kbois said:

Please tell me you're going to start your own food prep business. I would gladly pay going rate plus shipping to the US. Instead of Hello, Fresh...you could be Hello tim!🤣🤣

oh heck no..  i'm not going there.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Phil did burgers last night, with regular fries. We had fresh mangoes later

mmmm  yummy.. ours have to cooked in here, but that's okay.. and i lurve mangos..

• Like 2
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, kbois said:

Tim's Bits!

• Haha 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..