The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator

Okay, so I made “ @Mikiesboy’s” strawberry oatmeal bars today. 

Let me start out by saying there were some missteps along the way.

The first baking pan I tried was a bit too large (8x11) for the dough that I produced - seemed a mite too sticky in my opinion, because I might or might not have used a wee bit too much honey :whistle: - so I switched to an 8x8 pan. 

I chopped the strawberries rather than just slicing them, which turned out to be a good thing because a good masher I do not possess.

The crumble for the top was troublesome because of it being sticky, but I compensated for that with large flake oatmeal - that worked.

Bottom line: I just tried a piece after letting it cool, and boy is it delicious! 

Making this again, I am. :D 

Spoiler

I will wait until after this batch is no longer, of course. :P 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Me too!

Also... I swapped out honey with Agave nectar. It has a lighter flavor. Avocado oil replaced the butter....less saturated fat. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, kbois said:

Also... I swapped out honey with Agave nectar. It has a lighter flavor. Avocado oil replaced the butter....less saturated fat

I hadn’t thought swapping out ingredients. I like agave , but avocado not so much. I wonder if there’s another oil that would work? :unsure: 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

I hadn’t thought swapping out ingredients. I like agave , but avocado not so much. I wonder if there’s another oil that would work? :unsure: 

I can't taste the avocado. It's probably one of the mildest oils I've tried. Sesame oil has a strong flavor like olive oil does. The Amish market I go to has several odd varieties of oil. 

Here's  a link that has some good info:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/15-best-healthy-cooking-oils-in-india/articleshow/20678146.cms

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Hubby took my truck yesterday (full size bed as opposed to his short bed). Guess what the HVAC was set to when I got in this morning?

The phrase “igloo chic” popped into my brain when I read your question. Am I close? 

• Haha 4
53 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Hubby took my truck yesterday (full size bed as opposed to his short bed). Guess what the HVAC was set to when I got in this morning?

So is retaliation in the future? Wide open heat on the feet perhaps? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Okay, so I made “ @Mikiesboy’s” strawberry oatmeal bars today. 

Let me start out by saying there were some missteps along the way.

The first baking pan I tried was a bit too large (8x11) for the dough that I produced - seemed a mite too sticky in my opinion, because I might or might not have used a wee bit too much honey :whistle: - so I switched to an 8x8 pan. 

I chopped the strawberries rather than just slicing them, which turned out to be a good thing because a good masher I do not possess.

The crumble for the top was troublesome because of it being sticky, but I compensated for that with large flake oatmeal - that worked.

Bottom line: I just tried a piece after letting it cool, and boy is it delicious! 

Hide contents

Hint.. when working with oatmeal... let it sit for a few minutes after mixing it. Let the oats soak up some moisture.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Be careful agave.. it is worse than high glucose corn syrup.  It can reduce insulin sensitivity, may negatively affect your liver and is higher in calories than sugar.  I looked at it when Michael was diagnosed and rejected it outright.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Hint.. when working with oatmeal... let it sit for a few minutes after mixing it. Let the oats soak up some moisture.

you used to be an evangelist for the IP, but now you have become a disciple of Mr. Oats. 🙂

I believe the reverence is justified. 😄

• Haha 4
Just now, Wayne Gray said:

you used to be an evangelist for the IP, but now you have become a disciple of Mr. Oats. 🙂

Everything i do, i do for love  ... of my Husband and his health.  :)

• Love 4
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Everything i do, i do for love  ... of my Husband and his health.  :)

I don't doubt it. Though, it didn't hurt that those strawberry bars were delicious. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Wayne Gray said:

I don't doubt it. Though, it didn't hurt that those strawberry bars were delicious. 😛

i like to make healthy stuff ...bonus is it tastes nice.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
9 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that next time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Be careful agave.. it is worse than high glucose corn syrup.  It can reduce insulin sensitivity, may negatively affect your liver and is higher in calories than sugar.  I looked at it when Michael was diagnosed and rejected it outright.

I like it, but the stuff we have in the cupboard is old - bought by my mom because my SiL likes it - so it’s not going to get used, and I doubt I’d actually buy it myself. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

High praise @Mikiesboy given that it comes from the inventor of oat hash. 😉

• Haha 5
19 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Aw hell....

Why is it that I automatically gravitate toward everything that's not good for you? I didn't know about the insulin sensitivity. Guess I'm not using that anymore. Dammit. 

Thanks for the info....even though it burst my bubble. 

Shit. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

WOW! I can't believe you remembered that!

When you posted the recipe, it was one of those "Hmmmm" moments while rubbing your chin whiskers in thought. It honestly sounded very appealing and I've kicked myself for not trying it. Since I can't work this weekend (east coast, no gas), it might be the perfect time to try it for breakfast.  

• Like 5
Just now, kbois said:

Aw hell....

Why is it that I automatically gravitate toward everything that's not good for you? I didn't know about the insulin sensitivity. Guess I'm not using that anymore. Dammit. 

Thanks for the info....even though it burst my bubble. 

Shit. 

I felt the same when i was looking for sugar substitutes. It sounded perfect, till i started reading. Really bad for those who need to watch sugar.  Honey is the better choice, but you still have to be careful with it.  That's why i like Sasha's recipes. He uses honey or maple syrup but very little. So, it's okay for Michael.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, spyke said:

When you posted the recipe, it was one of those "Hmmmm" moments while rubbing your chin whiskers in thought. It honestly sounded very appealing and I've kicked myself for not trying it. Since I can't work this weekend (east coast, no gas), it might be the perfect time to try it for breakfast.  

Well, I love toasted oats. If you like a crunchy/chewy texture, then you will enjoy them. 🙂

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I felt the same when i was looking for sugar substitutes. It sounded perfect, till i started reading. Really bad for those who need to watch sugar.  Honey is the better choice, but you still have to be careful with it.  That's why i like Sasha's recipes. He uses honey or maple syrup but very little. So, it's okay for Michael.  

He also uses lots of unsweetened applesauce, which actually, adds both moisture and some sugar. His recipes are great @kbois.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

He also uses lots of unsweetened applesauce, which actually, adds both moisture and some sugar. His recipes are great @kbois.

Applesauce is used to reduce fat too. It's great stuff. 

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..