The Drop in Centre

13 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Bread News...

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup white bread flour

2 tsp instant yeast (use 1 tsp if you have time to let it rise longer)

1 1/4 to 1 1/3 c water

1 beaten egg

4 tbsp hemp hearts

4 tbsp large flake oats

2 tbsp chia seeds

2 tsp salt

Mix together, knead 10 minutes (by hand or in mixer), try to NOT add more flour.  Allow to rise until double in bulk in a warm place (about an hour).  Punch down and knead again for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the dough softens. Shape into a rough loaf and put  into a well greased large loaf pan.  Oil lightly and allow to rise 15 to 20 minutes or until the loaf is just starting to rise over the lip of the loaf pan. 

Heat oven to 400f .. bake at 400f for 5 minutes and then reduce to 350f.  Bake another 20 to 25 minutes. The top should be brown. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes and then remove from the pan. Allow to cool. 

Fresh bread is amazing, but it does not like to be sliced.

Made this one today and it's sooooo good.

image.jpeg.3b4652711de35f68be77cdc1d960d280.jpeg

so.....

what are hemp hearts? i've seen hemp fiber, hemp lotions etc. but not hemp hearts

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Fresh bread is amazing, but it does not like to be sliced.

Use that old electric knife we old fogies all have stashed in the back of some cabinet. Bread is about the only thing they slice well!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

so.....

what are hemp hearts? i've seen hemp fiber, hemp lotions etc. but not hemp hearts

They're shelled hemp seeds. I've seen them occasionally, but never bought them before.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, kbois said:

They're shelled hemp seeds. I've seen them occasionally, but never bought them before.

Thanks, I didn’t know what they were, either.

If one was to buy this in a grocery store, I’m thinking they would be found in the organic food section, yes? 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Thanks, I didn’t know what they were, either.

If one was to buy this in a grocery store, I’m thinking they would be found in the organic food section, yes? 

Probably. Maybe? 🤔

My Amish market has a whole section of spices, seeds and different flours. They're similar to sunflower seeds so that's where'd I look. 

• Like 3

I'm still amazed at some people's ineptitude. 

The previous manager sent specs in for one of the empty lots and she placed the driveway on the wrong side of the lot! Of course it didn't get caught until the construction supervisor came to measure and stake out where the house will be dropped. (in 3 weeks)

Previous manager was supposed to have the floor plan reversed so the existing driveway could be used. Now it's adding $3500 PLUS the cost of pouring a new driveway. SMH...

Seriously....how could you not notice a freaking driveway is on the wrong side???

Other than than it's been a quiet day so far. One more week. Just one. I need to get through the next 7 days. 168-ish hours. ✈

• Wow 4
34 minutes ago, kbois said:

I'm still amazed at some people's ineptitude. 

The previous manager sent specs in for one of the empty lots and she placed the driveway on the wrong side of the lot! Of course it didn't get caught until the construction supervisor came to measure and stake out where the house will be dropped. (in 3 weeks)

Previous manager was supposed to have the floor plan reversed so the existing driveway could be used. Now it's adding $3500 PLUS the cost of pouring a new driveway. SMH...

Seriously....how could you not notice a freaking driveway is on the wrong side???

Other than than it's been a quiet day so far. One more week. Just one. I need to get through the next 7 days. 168-ish hours. ✈

Of course now I can't find the picture in a search but on FB there's often posted a picture where the front door is on the left hand side of the house and the front door concrete steps have been installed on the opposite side, to a bare wall.

That reminds me of what you're describing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I buy these from Amazon. They are really tasty. Michael eats them on His cereal. You can add them to lots of things.

image.thumb.png.72f0e74605ca4c7e387c9ce57273b033.png

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
58 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I buy these from Amazon. They are really tasty. Michael eats them on His cereal. You can add them to lots of things.

image.thumb.png.72f0e74605ca4c7e387c9ce57273b033.png

Found and ordered. Someday, I may try making the bread, but for now  I’ll try it on my granola cereal and/or refrigerator oatmeal.

Thanks, tim. Reading the label, it looks to be a good source for a lot of good things. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Found and ordered. Someday, I may try making the bread, but for now  I’ll try it on my granola cereal and/or refrigerator oatmeal.

Thanks, tim. Reading the label, it looks to be a good source for a lot of good things. 

They really are nice. I add them to bread, salads ... lots of things. They are very nice on their own or on peanut butter.  Full of lots of good things, you're right.  :)   I now buy the biggest bag they offer but they get used.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

I like mine on Greek yogurt with a bit of granola too. We've also used them in homemade cracker recipes. The nice oils in them do wonderful things when baked.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

One of the things I like as part of my lunch which I learned from a health conscious doctor I worked with years ago is this:

Mix equal parts any flavour yogurt and puréed cottage together. I usually used a single serve yogurt with the same amount of cottage cheese. 

Why puréed cottage cheese you ask? Well, that’s how he did it, and besides I can’t abide cottage cheese in its normal lumpy state.

I puréed the cottage cheese in my mini food processor and then put it all back in its original container. It kept well like that in the fridge for the days - probably used within a week - I needed it to. 

Not only is it nutritious, it’s delicious, refreshing, and filling. 

That’s my two cents for today. :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

One of the things I like as part of my lunch which I learned from a health conscious doctor I worked with years ago is this:

Mix equal parts any flavour yogurt and puréed cottage together. I usually used a single serve yogurt with the same amount of cottage cheese. 

Why puréed cottage cheese you ask? Well, that’s how he did it, and besides I can’t abide cottage cheese in its normal lumpy state.

I puréed the cottage cheese in my mini food processor and then put it all back in its original container. It kept well like that in the fridge for the days - probably used within a week - I needed it to. 

Not only is it nutritious, it’s delicious, refreshing, and filling. 

That’s my two cents for today. :) 

Hemp hearts would be perfect on that.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
28 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Hemp hearts would be perfect on that.

That’s what got me thinking about this again. I’m going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I’m putting cottage cheese on my list. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

That’s what got me thinking about this again. I’m going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I’m putting cottage cheese on my list. 

I'm not a fan of cottage cheese either. I  checked my Noom app and cottage cheese is a yellow food (moderate portions) while Greek yogurt is a green food.(best choice)

Finally something that I like is the better choice for me!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, kbois said:

I'm not a fan of cottage cheese either. I  checked my Noom app and cottage cheese is a yellow food (moderate portions) while Greek yogurt is a green food.(best choice)

Finally something that I like is the better choice for me!

Cottage cheese has a very different taste when it’s puréed vs. when it’s lumpy. It’s been a while, but I was curious, so I tried it to see what it tastes like. 

This is me when it’s in its lumpy state: :puke:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cottage cheese is okay. I use it to make eggy muffins. They are great for Michael's breakfast.. lil quichey things but the cottage cheese makes them really creamy ... they also have oats, green onion, ham..

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Cottage cheese is okay. I use it to make eggy muffins. They are great for Michael's breakfast.. lil quichey things but the cottage cheese makes them really creamy ... they also have oats, green onion, ham..

Never thought of using cottage cheese in eggs, it’s always been cheddar cheese for me. May need to experiment...

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Never thought of using cottage cheese in eggs, it’s always been cheddar cheese for me. May need to experiment...

you dont notice it in there.  i add it to ricotta for lasagna too just to save a little money.. but we never notice it

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

you dont notice it in there.  i add it to ricotta for lasagna too just to save a little money.. but we never notice it

If it works, there’s no reason not to use it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

My mother-in-law does that too and her lasagna is really good. 

I made quinoa tonight and threw in some seasoning and diced tomatoes to go along with some stuffed flounder. That stuff is just as bad as chia and flax seeds. If someone could explain how it ended up in my hair.. . I'd love to know. I do know how to use utensils....lol

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, kbois said:

That stuff is just as bad as chia and flax seeds. If someone could explain how it ended up in my hair.. . I'd love to know. I do know how to use utensils....lol

How?  haha

• Haha 4
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, kbois said:

That stuff is just as bad as chia and flax seeds. If someone could explain how it ended up in my hair.. . I'd love to know. I do know how to use utensils....lol

Gee, K, I didn’t have a problem dealing with chia seeds. I think it may be just you.... :P 

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Gee, K, I didn’t have a problem dealing with chia seeds. I think it may be just you.... :P 

19 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

How?  haha

It's the tendonitis... makes my hand unsteady. 

Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 😊

(But seriously.. do these things fly??)

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, kbois said:

It's the tendonitis... makes my hand unsteady. 

Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 😊

(But seriously.. do these things fly??)

yes on lil tiny wings  Tiny Wings. Tiny Wings by Andreas Illiger is a game… | by Eric L. Barnes |  Medium

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..