The Drop in Centre

7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I felt the same when i was looking for sugar substitutes. It sounded perfect, till i started reading. Really bad for those who need to watch sugar.  Honey is the better choice, but you still have to be careful with it.  That's why i like Sasha's recipes. He uses honey or maple syrup but very little. So, it's okay for Michael.  

I've managed to almost do away with refined sugar. (Flavored coffee Creamer is the one thing I won't budge on...I did switch to almond milk based) I may switch to maple syrup for certain things. The only problem with that is my husband loves it so it disappears quickly. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

He also uses lots of unsweetened applesauce, which actually, adds both moisture and some sugar. His recipes are great @kbois.

I use that too. Guess I'm browsing recipes this weekend!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, kbois said:

I've managed to almost do away with refined sugar. (Flavored coffee Creamer is the one thing I won't budge on...I did switch to almond milk based) I may switch to maple syrup for certain things. The only problem with that is my husband loves it so it disappears quickly. 

i understand. Michael used to live on soda, fast food, candy...when he was a cop.  Once he was diagnosed, all that stopped. Like the same day.

I love maple syrup too. I use mostly honey, it has greater sweetening power.  But we don't have it in tea or coffee. For coffee we use Walmart's version of splenda.  It's nicer than splenda.. not as weirdly sweet.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i understand. Michael used to live on soda, fast food, candy...when he was a cop.  Once he was diagnosed, all that stopped. Like the same day.

I love maple syrup too. I use mostly honey, it has greater sweetening power.  But we don't have it in tea or coffee. For coffee we use Walmart's version of splenda.  It's nicer than splenda.. not as weirdly sweet.

I'd imagine that as a cop you just grab what you can. I used to do the same thing as a sailor. We were busy - cooking stuff was LAST on the list.

Medical issues make us slow down and prioritize ourselves. And ... maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

I'd imagine that as a cop you just grab what you can. I used to do the same thing as a sailor. We were busy - cooking stuff was LAST on the list.

Medical issues make us slow down and prioritize ourselves. And ... maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

Yeah.. sometimes they had to be there ... if they were close to arrests shift could be 12, 20 hours.. whatever, they just did it. Like you probably.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, kbois said:

I use that too. Guess I'm browsing recipes this weekend!

You should. There are many good ones. He does a lot of desserts and baked goods, because that's often what is so damn unhealthy in our lives. He offers great alternatives.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I have cut the cord to Walmart. They pissed me off once too many times..lol. I haven't stepped foot in one since the beginning of April. I get the generic version at the grocery store occasionally. I don't add any sweetener to coffee other than the flavored creamer. I also get flavored coffee beans and when I have that I just put in a little half & half. 

10 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Medical issues are a huge wake up call, especially the older you get. Fear is a good motivator when your mortality is staring you in the face. 

I'm getting there.  Slowly but surely (I started typing, Shirley, lol)

I'm happy to say that I've lost 20lbs since March 1st. Still going to be a battle...but one I'm determined to win. Hardest part is working on the mental side of it. 

Food addiction...unfortunately you can't give it up completely. I have to learn to get past my inner obstacles and do what's right. 

• Like 1
Just now, kbois said:

I have cut the cord to Walmart. They pissed me off once too many times..lol. I haven't stepped foot in one since the beginning of April. I get the generic version at the grocery store occasionally. I don't add any sweetener to coffee other than the flavored creamer. I also get flavored coffee beans and when I have that I just put in a little half & half. 

Medical issues are a huge wake up call, especially the older you get. Fear is a good motivator when your mortality is staring you in the face. 

I'm getting there.  Slowly but surely (I started typing, Shirley, lol)

I'm happy to say that I've lost 20lbs since March 1st. Still going to be a battle...but one I'm determined to win. Hardest part is working on the mental side of it. 

Food addiction...unfortunately you can't give it up completely. I have to learn to get past my inner obstacles and do what's right. 

When i started making other kinds of dessert for us.. because of Michael, I said to him you know this will not be the same as usual brownies or whatever.  He said I know. I'm willing to try anything. I know it wont be the same as things made with sugar and flour, but it's going to be better than the alternative, which is nothing.

Sasha's, lemon squares are wonderful, so are his macaroons (use honey), the zucchini brownies are very nice. Sometimes for dessert Michael and i have a fruit plate, or we buy good dark chocolate and have a square or two with an orange we share, along with a few pecans.    We like the sugar free jello with fruit, Michael has a bit of cream on His.  I make apple crisp and a pie now and again.

Sasha's crackers are amazing and good for you. We have them as an afternoon snack with some cheese. His cream cheese muffins are good. I want to try his lentil burgers, but i'll make them smaller to have for lunch with some carrot slaw or something.

We have Walmart or ... nothing. There are very few department stores here we can afford. They have all closed down... Zellers, Sears.. and others that were affordable all closed now.  I order groceries from Walmart, we dont go there.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mollyhousemouse said:

evening all

woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, with a low grade headache. never quite found my groove. i want to thank y'all for giving me some smiles tonight

this has been wonderful to read

Hi molly! 

Sorry your day sucked, but I'm glad you're doing better. I hate when I have those days. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

evening all

woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, with a low grade headache. never quite found my groove. i want to thank y'all for giving me some smiles tonight

awwww hugs, honey.  make a nice warm drink and snuggle up.. maybe take a pain killer?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Someone.. who shall likely not remain nameless said to me, the DiC is a good little place, tim.  It's safe, supportive and funny.

it is and you're all part of the reason it is❤️

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We have Walmart or ... nothing. There are very few department stores here we can afford. They have all closed down... Zellers, Sears.. and others that were affordable all closed now.  I order groceries from Walmart, we dont go there.

That's sad. We're really lucky down here. We have Aldi's which is really reasonable for staples like milk/almond milk, eggs, bread etc. 

Detweiler's is the Amish market I love. Great produce, meats and fish. Pricy for everything else. BUT...they carry things like almond flour, chia seeds, flax seeds...so, there's that. 

Two grocery stores, Publix and Winn Dixie are good when you shop the sales. It's  more effort, but now that things are getting sort of back to normal it's worth it. More exercise when you have to go up and down aisles vs ordering online from the recliner!

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
55 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Well, I love toasted oats. If you like a crunchy/chewy texture, then you will enjoy them. 🙂

I do, I do, but I don’t recall where you talked about this. Did you post a recipe for oat hash? 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, kbois said:

That's sad. We're really lucky down here. We have Aldi's which is really reasonable for staples like milk/almond milk, eggs, bread etc. 

Detweiler's is the Amish market I love. Great produce, meats and fish. Pricy for everything else. BUT...they carry things like almond flour, chia seeds, flax seeds...so, there's that. 

Two grocery stores, Publix and Winn Dixie are good when you shop the sales. It's  more effort, but now that things are getting sort of back to normal it's worth it. More exercise when you have to go up and down aisles vs ordering online from the recliner!

oh that sounds nice.  our fav grocery store closed at christmas, leaving us with an expensive place. With Michael not driving for the last ..well nearly a year now, we dont go far.

You do not want me driving you anywhere but crazy. Least that wont kill you.

So we do go and shop every week, but walmart delivers cans, heavy stuff.. um very inexpensive oats and really good frozen veg. I mean really good.  So we stock up from there every few months.  But we walk to the grocery store and stuff.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, kbois said:

Hi molly! 

Sorry your day sucked, but I'm glad you're doing better. I hate when I have those days. 

thanks k .... it didn't suck so much as i was "off" all day & it seemed as if it would never end 

7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

awwww hugs, honey.  make a nice warm drink and snuggle up.. maybe take a pain killer?

Phil had me lay down for a nap after work & He & Number Two Son made dinner i'll likely go to bed early

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

You do not want me driving you anywhere but crazy. Least that wont kill you.

My friend...I will gladly hop aboard the crazy train right beside you. You can drive and I'll be hanging out the window hollering "whooooooohoooooo!!!"

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

evening all

Hey molly, glad you’re doing better. :hug: 

• Love 2

Michael says this is a crime of opportunity...

A resident near Porcupine Plain, Saskatchewan recently called the RCMP after wooden posts on their property went missing, The Humboldt Journal reports.

The caper was quickly solved when officers spotted the missing posts in a nearby waterway.

It turns out a beaver (or beavers) had lifted them to add to a dam.

RCMP says the "extremely Canadain" case is now closed. Police tried to locate the suspects but they were "gone on arrival." If they are located, the beavers will not face any charges, officers say.

“Who could really blame these little bucktooth bandits, considering the price of wood these days?” Cst. Conrad Rickards of the Porcupine Plain RCMP Detachment told the journal.

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

thanks k .... it didn't suck so much as i was "off" all day & it seemed as if it would never end 

Phil had me lay down for a nap after work & He & Number Two Son made dinner i'll likely go to bed early

This has definitely been a long week.

I get to see my older boy tomorrow. He and his girlfriend are stopping to have lunch with me on their way to Miami for his old roommate's wedding.

I. Can't. Wait!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Michael says this is a crime of opportunity...

A resident near Porcupine Plain, Saskatchewan recently called the RCMP after wooden posts on their property went missing, The Humboldt Journal reports.

The caper was quickly solved when officers spotted the missing posts in a nearby waterway.

It turns out a beaver (or beavers) had lifted them to add to a dam.

RCMP says the "extremely Canadain" case is now closed. Police tried to locate the suspects but they were "gone on arrival." If they are located, the beavers will not face any charges, officers say.

“Who could really blame these little bucktooth bandits, considering the price of wood these days?” Cst. Conrad Rickards of the Porcupine Plain RCMP Detachment told the journal.

:heart: this! :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

@Wayne Gray I searched the forum for oat hash and and a post with this recipe for baked oatmeal was in the search list. Is this “oat hash”? 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/

that's baked oatmeal ... i think Wayne has other things in his oat hash.  Let's see what the hash master has to say ... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..