The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator

So, tonight my upstairs neighbour had a flood (some kind of backflow in the pipes from a blockage somewhere on the line) in her unit. Doesn’t matter how many times management tells us to not put anything (like oil that will dry and harden( down the kitchen sink, there’s always someone who does. :pissed:

I’ve had visits from security, the building Super, amd a plumber. All were checking to see if I had leaks through my celiling. The plumber had a gadget he held up to the ceiling that could detect water, and he (thank you very much) came up empty, so it looks like I’m in the clear. 

I’m so relieved it’s highly unlikely I’ll have any issues at this point as I heard the unit above me was flooded quite a bit. 

That was my night, hope you all had a good one...

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

So, tonight my upstairs neighbour had a flood (some kind of backflow in the pipes from a blockage somewhere on the line) in her unit. Doesn’t matter how many times management tells us to not put anything (like oil that will dry and harden( down the kitchen sink, there’s always someone who does. :pissed:

I’ve had visits from security, the building Super, amd a plumber. All were checking to see if I had leaks through my celiling. The plumber had a gadget he held up to the ceiling that could detect water, and he (thank you very much) came up empty, so it looks like I’m in the clear. 

I’m so relieved it’s highly unlikely I’ll have any issues at this point as I heard the unit above me was flooded quite a bit. 

sorry to hear that Reader ... hope it stays that way.. clear and dry

• Like 1
  • Love 2

prestigious Audio pronunciation

adjective | preh-STIH-juss  

Definition

1 archaic : of, relating to, or marked by illusion, conjuring, or trickery

:
having an illustrious name or reputation : esteemed in general opinion

You may be surprised to learn that prestigious had more to do with trickery than with respect when it was first used in the mid-16th century. The earliest (now archaic) meaning of the word was "of, relating to, or marked by illusion, conjuring, or trickery." Prestigious comes to us from the Latin word praestigiosis, meaning "full of tricks" or "deceitful." The words prestige and prestigious are related, of course, though not as directly as you might think; they share a Latin ancestor, but they entered English by different routes. Prestige, which was borrowed from French in the mid-17th century, initially meant "a conjurer's trick," but in the 19th century it developed an extended sense of "blinding or dazzling influence." That change, in turn, influenced prestigious, which now means simply "illustrious or esteemed."

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

prestigious Audio pronunciation

adjective | preh-STIH-juss  

Definition

1 archaic : of, relating to, or marked by illusion, conjuring, or trickery

:
having an illustrious name or reputation : esteemed in general opinion

You may be surprised to learn that prestigious had more to do with trickery than with respect when it was first used in the mid-16th century. The earliest (now archaic) meaning of the word was "of, relating to, or marked by illusion, conjuring, or trickery." Prestigious comes to us from the Latin word praestigiosis, meaning "full of tricks" or "deceitful." The words prestige and prestigious are related, of course, though not as directly as you might think; they share a Latin ancestor, but they entered English by different routes. Prestige, which was borrowed from French in the mid-17th century, initially meant "a conjurer's trick," but in the 19th century it developed an extended sense of "blinding or dazzling influence." That change, in turn, influenced prestigious, which now means simply "illustrious or esteemed."

Great word for today. 

Maybe you saw the movie The Prestige? It involved professional magicians and conjurers. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Great word for today. 

Maybe you saw the movie The Prestige? It involved professional magicians and conjurers. 

i may have seen that ... hugh jackman??

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Parker Owens said:

Wish me luck. First day back at work today. 

All the best ... take it easy, yeah?  no running or basketball yet.. and get off your feet now and again .. xoxox

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Parker Owens said:

Definitely no sports for me yet. Hugs! I’m off into the snow...

yesss  we have another 5cm or so out there and still falling .. it's fluffy and pretty though

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Starrynight22 said:

Well that's a true statement.  Isn't it typically our shortcomings, real or imagined, that make us say we can't. 

Good morning 

Yes. And good morning.   Mine stop me all the time.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Not the best way to spend the night. I hope all is still okay, Reader. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Defiance19 said:

Uhhh, nope. Not when I’m back from the sea of books I was buried in and so ready to reintegrate. 🙃😘

well you write then ... cuz i don't seem to be able to

• Sad 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

Not the best way to spend the night. I hope all is still okay, Reader. 

Nope, it’s not. I checked this morning and the ceiling is completely dry, so I’d say I’m in the clear - very happy about that, I am. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

yesss  we have another 5cm or so out there and still falling .. it's fluffy and pretty though

Yes, the pristine snow looks so pretty. When I went to Canadian Tire on Saturday I did see a lot of snow by the road that was all black, so hopefully, the new snow covers that for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
55 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

well you write then ... cuz i don't seem to be able to

Then put your writing aside, tim, and do something else. You will find inspiration again, just not today, or maybe not even tomorrow, but it will come. 

Cause, you know, I seem to recall you saying this before, and then you wrote something quite brilliant. :yes: 

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..