The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

maybe so ...

I’ve been enjoying the view from inside, but it keeps calling me to enjoy it from the outside. I’m heading out now, so I’ll see you later...

Edit: Plus, I’m out of coffee, so, I need to go out. lol

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Just got back from a walk on another glorious winter day. It was a bit nippy in the beginning, but the shining sun made short work of the nip. As it is the Family Day holiday, kids and parents - and pooches - were also out and about enjoying the nice weather. The giggles coming from the tobogganers as they flew down the hill and the joyful sounds of kids skating on an outdoor rink made this sunny day even better. 

Met a lovely Saint Bernard and got my coffee at the corner store, so all in all, it was a nice "adventure" 

Oh, and here's another odd tree (one of a row) I passed along the way. I've walked by it a few times and have marvelled each time I pass them that they have not shed their leaves. Do they not know where they live? Are they in denial? Are they delusional? I  mean, why do they still have leaves on their branches?????? :blink:

1654763624_ScreenShot2019-02-18at2_43_11PM.png.49d3880cdf4fe16f54d42794147e5cc2.png

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Just got back from a walk on another glorious winter day. It was a bit nippy in the beginning, but the shining sun made short work of the nip. As it is the Family Day holiday, kids and parents - and pooches - were also out and about enjoying the nice weather. The giggles coming from the tobogganers as they flew down the hill and the joyful sounds of kids skating on an outdoor rink made this sunny day even better. 

Met a lovely Saint Bernard and got my coffee at the corner store, so all in all, it was a nice "adventure" 

Oh, and here's another odd tree (one of a row) I passed along the way. I've walked by it a few times and have marvelled each time I pass them that they have not shed their leaves. Do they not know where they live? Are they in denial? Are they delusional? I  mean, why do they still have leaves on their branches?????? :blink:

1654763624_ScreenShot2019-02-18at2_43_11PM.png.49d3880cdf4fe16f54d42794147e5cc2.png

Sounds like a nice walk!!   RE the tree ... i said in a recent poem that the ornamental olive trees we have here shed their leaves. AC took exception to that saying, they are evergreens. Really?  I had to look that up of course (Reader and i may be related) and yes they are. Hmmm,   so i looked at the ornamental olives which were indeed naked. Seems stress can cause them to shed their leaves... and i guess winter is enough to cause that.  

i wonder what kind of tree that is... odd it has sooo many leaves on it.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i wonder what kind of tree that is... odd it has sooo many leaves on it.

They're all like that. They seem to be missing some leaves near the top of each  tree, but otherwise, they're all still covered in them. The leaves have curled up, so I can't see what shape they are. I think I need to be having a chat with Mr. Google...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

ornamental olive trees we have here shed their leaves. AC took exception to that saying, they are evergreens. Really?  I had to look that up of course (Reader and i may be related) and yes they are. Hmmm,   so i looked at the ornamental olives which were indeed naked. Seems stress can cause them to shed their leaves... and i guess winter is enough to cause that.  

Wait. All olives or just ornamental olives? 

Either way. My mind is blown. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Wait. All olives or just ornamental olives? 

Either way. My mind is blown. 

not sure to honest  .. ours around here are ornamental.. the fruit is like the size of a caper.  i never knew they were evergreen...

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

mmmm happy boy ... i get to cook for Michael.  things are all right in my world ...

I thought of y'all last night when I made lasagna.  Because I was thinking of maybe trying it with sliced veggies instead of noodles.  Any time I think of lower carb things I think of your meal making for your husband.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Hey. According to Google they are evergreens 

Olives (Olea europaea) are evergreen trees that will add a Mediterranean touch to the garden. They are suited to garden or container cultivation, and may produce fruit in mild regions and warm summers in the UK.
Aspect:
South- or west-facing, sheltered
Botanical name:
Olea europaea
Olive / RHS GardeningRHS › advice › profile?pid=138
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I thought of y'all last night when I made lasagna.  Because I was thinking of maybe trying it with sliced veggies instead of noodles.  Any time I think of lower carb things I think of your meal making for your husband.  

Thank you, that's very sweet!   i'd make it with eggplant (we both love it.. personally i'd marry it) or zucchini along with some hi fibre pasta, neither of us like whole wheat pasta.  We like whole wheat other things but not pasta.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I can't be absolutely certain, but it looks like a pin oak to me. That would make sense, as pin oaks often hate to drop their leaves, often carrying them through the winter. When the spring comes and the sap runs, that pushes the tree to detach old leaves and grow new ones. The younger the tree, the more likely it is to hold onto its leaves.

I came across an article that talked about exactly what you’ve mentioned, Parker along with the name Pin Oak.

Trees that don’t shed their leaves are called marcescent (from a Latin root meaning ‘to shrivel) deciduous species.

While not in the same geographical area as me (and tim and Mike), this article explains the nature of these trees quite well. 

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2017/11/marcescence-ecological-mystery.html

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
51 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

not sure to honest  .. ours around here are ornamental.. the fruit is like the size of a caper.  i never knew they were evergreen...

Me neither. In fact, I probably would have argued with anyone who tried to tell me they were. The things we don’t know...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Starrynight22 said:

Oh DiC

Did I tell y'all?

Big kiddo got into a college!!!!!!  Bowling green state university up by toledo.  Next week we will go up there.  Be almost spitting distance from the Canada crew :)

oh congrats!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Oh DiC

Did I tell y'all?

Big kiddo got into a college!!!!!!  Bowling green state university up by toledo.  Next week we will go up there.  Be almost spitting distance from the Canada crew :)

Congrats to big kiddo! :wizard:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..