Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

16 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I started cooking ground chicken breast in the crockpot to make a fresh summer veggie soup. I browned the meat along with a shallot and a clove of garlic. Deglazed the pan with a splash of dry marsala. It's all simmering in low sodium chicken stock. This evening I'll chopped up and sautee a yellow zucchini, some red bell pepper, fresh corn, and snap beans to add and let simmer overnight. Tomorrow morning I'll chop up a ripe tomato and add that to the soup. I plan on freezing the soup in portions to serve later.

Sounds delicious! Hey, bro! :hug: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I started cooking ground chicken breast in the crockpot to make a fresh summer veggie soup. I browned the meat along with a shallot and a clove of garlic. Deglazed the pan with a splash of dry marsala. It's all simmering in low sodium chicken stock. This evening I'll chopped up and sautee a yellow zucchini, some red bell pepper, fresh corn, and snap beans to add and let simmer overnight. Tomorrow morning I'll chop up a ripe tomato and add that to the soup. I plan on freezing the soup in portions to serve later.

My daughter brought me some beet greens a few days ago and I cooked them up yesterday. She gets a box of organic vegetables every week and never knows what it will be--the farmers are great friends of hers. They were delicious, and reminded me of my childhood... one of the good parts when my mum and I would dig the beets from my uncles garden and we'd have the greens that night. A little butter and salt and pepper is all they need. :) 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Tink! :hug:  They're beautiful, and I love the espelier along the wall!

Thanks. It's 2 pear and 1 apple trees. The apple tree almost never give any fruits unfortunately. The pear trees usually do very well but the last hard frost we had early April killed all the flowers so we won't have any pears or apple this year.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
1 minute ago, clochette said:

Thanks. It's 2 pear and 1 apple trees. The apple tree almost never give any fruits unfortunately. The pear trees usually do very well but the last hard frost we had early April killed all the flowers so we won't have any pears or apple this year.

Still, they look great. I've always wanted to do espelier, but the most I've accomplished is training branches into arches. :) 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Still, they look great. I've always wanted to do espelier, but the most I've accomplished is training branches into arches. :) 

It's dad's work. I don't touch them. I did once. Trimed all the new branches that were sticking everywhere with the electric edge trimmer... I was warned never to do it again ooops :gikkle:

The green and yellow beans are doing very well. I'm picking a good handful very days. I'm freezing them and already have started the 3rd three liters freezing bag.

The cucumber plant was slow to grow up but suddenly I have over 5 fruits growing! 

Unfortunately it's not warm enough for the watermelon and melon. The plants are still small with only a couple of flowers. 

• Like 5
On 8/3/2021 at 3:41 PM, Marty said:

Greetings, young Albert! :hug:

Pleasant, mainly sunny day, with temperature around 20°C/68°F here in the north of England today. :yes:

How was your travel Marty? 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, clochette said:

It's dad's work. I don't touch them. I did once. Trimed all the new branches that were sticking everywhere with the electric edge trimmer... I was warned never to do it again ooops :gikkle:

My parents have four apple trees on their property. Two are so stunted that they never produce flowers, let alone fruit. The other two are so massively overgrown that the fruit, tasty though it appears, is always dry, hard, and flavorless.  :thumbdown:

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, clochette said:

The green and yellow beans are doing very well. I'm picking a good handful very days. I'm freezing them and already have started the 3rd three liters freezing bag.

The cucumber plant was slow to grow up but suddenly I have over 5 fruits growing! 

Unfortunately it's not warm enough for the watermelon and melon. The plants are still small with only a couple of flowers. 

I have a ton of tomatoes ready to ripen in the next two weeks or so, and my green peppers are doing well. They are about a third the size I need them to be. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

My parents have four apple trees on their property. Two are so stunted that they never produce flowers, let alone fruit. The other two are so massively overgrown that the fruit, tasty though it appears, is always dry, hard, and flavorless.  :thumbdown:

I have two apple trees that are supposed to be 'ornamental', but both produce really tasty, medium-sized apples. :) 

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..