[dkstories] What could be better for my centenial post!

CJ asserts that Graeme is a postaholic based on the number of posts over the length of time Graeme has been a registered member of GA. Lets do the math:

Graeme joined on August 9, 2006 and has 425 posts as of the time of this post so the math looks like this:

===> number of posts divided by the number of days as a member

===> 425 / ( November 12, 2006

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator
Oh, I don't know about that! I see that you are at the top of the daily top-posters list, yet again!

What we have here, folks, is a new POSTAHOLIC! :devil:

I predict that you will make your 2000th post before this Christmas! :great:

Sorry, but I've got my annual holiday coming up in December, and I'll be leaving the computer at home. This year it will be one entire week without internet access. That means your prediction is going to be way out....

Why do you say such things about me? Emoe? Well, folk, now you can see why I say things like this

Was this what you were referring too?

BTW, everyone, as I mention in the credits, Emoe not only edited and advised, but thoguht up the title! (I'd been stumped).

Thank you Emoe!!! :worship:

Sorry, but I've got my annual holiday coming up in December, and I'll be leaving the computer at home. This year it will be one entire week without internet access. That means your prediction is going to be way out....

OK, so my prediction will be off by a week, then? 0:)

Was this what you were referring too?

Nah, I was referring to where I said this

I can't comment on some of the issues you raised, because Emoe, my editor, is mean and will hurt me if I give hints. :2hands:

:P:P:P:P:P

A WEEK??? I would completely lose my mind.

• Site Administrator
A WEEK??? I would completely lose my mind.

We used to go on holidays for two weeks, but we've been economising because we're extending our house at the moment. Unless I want to see the laptop at the bottom of the swimming pool, it's a requirement that it be left behind. There IS an internet cafe near where we're staying, but I'm sure I can be strong enough to resist the temptation....

I can't comment on some of the issues you raised, because Emoe, my editor, is mean and will hurt me if I give hints.

Now why would you want to say soemthing mean like that about sweet little ol' innocent me?!? Why I'd never even hurt the mosquito referred to in Graeme's signature line. Besides, how am I going to hurt you when you live clear across the continent from me?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....

So who writes your stories for you?

There IS an internet cafe near where we're staying, but I'm sure I can be strong enough to resist the temptation....

You can do it, Graeme. Be strong! Go off-grid. Somebody's got to make it out of this addiction we call the Internet :wacko:

We used to go on holidays for two weeks, but we've been economising because we're extending our house at the moment. Unless I want to see the laptop at the bottom of the swimming pool, it's a requirement that it be left behind. There IS an internet cafe near where we're staying, but I'm sure I can be strong enough to resist the temptation....

A week isn't bad. A month, though, can be bad, as I've discovered when traveling in areas that don't have Internet access.

I do take a laptop even if Internet access is unlikely, as I'm happy so long as I can type if something (such as a plot) pops into my head.

I can't comment on some of the issues you raised, because Emoe, my editor, is mean and will hurt me if I give hints.

Now why would you want to say something mean like that about sweet little ol' innocent me?!? Why I'd never even hurt the mosquito referred to in Graeme's signature line. Besides, how am I going to hurt you when you live clear across the continent from me?

You could always get me via editing... You could mark every single word in a chapter in red! Or worse, you could leave some of my more embarrassing errors in place, such as in "The Muse" (Fall Anthology) where I originally had my protagonist hearing noses instead of noises. :o

As for sweet little inncocent you, that's very hard for a shy, quiet, retiring forum lurker like me to believe!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....

So who writes your stories for you?

Since when do writers have to be sane? :wacko:

• Site Administrator
A week isn't bad. A month, though, can be bad, as I've discovered when traveling in areas that don't have Internet access.

I do take a laptop even if Internet access is unlikely, as I'm happy so long as I can type if something (such as a plot) pops into my head.

Tsk. Tsk.

I'm surprised, but I suppose you're still young enough to have forgotten about those ancient, archaic things called pen-and-paper.

Most of Falls Creek Lessons was jotted down in a notebook while sitting next to the pool on a two-week holiday in Queensland. When I returned, I just reviewed my notes and started typing. The notes didn't give the complete story, but it had enough of the detail that the rest just flowed out.

Graeme :D

Tsk. Tsk.

I'm surprised, but I suppose you're still young enough to have forgotten about those ancient, archaic things called pen-and-paper.

Most of Falls Creek Lessons was jotted down in a notebook while sitting next to the pool on a two-week holiday in Queensland. When I returned, I just reviewed my notes and started typing. The notes didn't give the complete story, but it had enough of the detail that the rest just flowed out.

Graeme :D

Graeme, have you any idea how hard it is to use a pencil with hooves? :blink:

Actually, my main reason for not doing it that way is that I'm an awful typist, and hate transcribing notes, so for me it's easier to just use a laptop. I have, however, jotted down quite a few plot ideas the old-fashioned way.

You? Innocent? HA! I
Oh I wasn't talking about your story content, you silly goat! BTW, I'm looking forward to more chapters of "For the Love" to show up in my mailbox any time now... *hint, hint*

You shall be receiving it in a few days. It has been difficult as I had to change a few things. :ranger:

BTW, my post # and user# now match! But, you managed that feat long before I did... :sheep: :wacko:

250 posts!

DAMN! This sucks...

50 posts in 44 days

Congratulations Emoe!! You do realize, don't you, that I'll be calling you a postaholic from now on? :devil:

My last two milestone posts in this thread were Aug 15th and Nov 6th, about 81 days apart. You made it between milestones in 44 days, so you are definitly a postaholic!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

I blame it all on CJ for enticing me to post in response to his posts...

But Emoe, that can't be! I'm a lurker, and lurkers are defined by the fact that we never post! :ph34r:

Edited by C James
  • Site Administrator

Congratulations Emoe!

I was getting worried that your milestone thread was being hijacked, but I'm glad to see it back on track.

In the interest of making sure it doesn't get hijacked again I will refrain from pointing out that C James's two milestones involved a lot more posts that your last two....

But Emoe, that can't be! I'm a lurker, and lurkers are defined by the fact that we never post! :ph34r:

I've worked out the logic. He's a postaholic when he's posting, and a lurker when he's not, and since he spends more of the day not posting than he does posting, that makes him a lurker. Of course, it makes everyone else even bigger lurkers, but we won't mention that :P

You want to know what's really sad? CJ gets more posts about his posting than posts about a new chapter of Dreams. :)

That's okay, I've learned from a rough week at work what a total fricking loser I am so don't worry...I'm just wallowing in self-pity.

• Site Administrator
You want to know what's really sad? CJ gets more posts about his posting than posts about a new chapter of Dreams. :)

That's okay, I've learned from a rough week at work what a total fricking loser I am so don't worry...I'm just wallowing in self-pity.

In case anyone mistakes the above...it's a joke...

Posts about stories and the interest in the story aren't necessarily the same. There are a LOT of readers that don't say anything. When I joined here, I was very surprised by the number of people who commented to me here that they've enjoyed my stories, because I didn't think I'd heard from them (though their email name may be different to the one used here). My current story thread at another site hasn't had an update for several chapters. However, I know it's being read from a handful of readers who email almost every chapter, and that's enough for me :)

I will admit that I'm shocking for reading stories, though. There are too many to read... and I'm reluctant to start new stories because it takes me away from my writing time.

... and I'm reluctant to start new stories because it takes me away from my writing time.

Well that, and you are headed offline for a stretch. Good luck with that! Better you than me - I'd be in desparate need of someone to break me out of my Internet-withdrawal-induced coma :pickaxe:

DK, the whole thing about me posting a lot is just a vicious rumor. 0:)

As for the lack of posts in the "Dreams" threads, I heartily agree!! Come on guys, DK is giving us a fantastic story, so please join in! Besides it's fun!!

Posts about stories and the interest in the story aren't necessarily the same. There are a LOT of readers that don't say anything. When I joined here, I was very surprised by the number of people who commented to me here that they've enjoyed my stories, because I didn't think I'd heard from them (though their email name may be different to the one used here). My current story thread at another site hasn't had an update for several chapters. However, I know it's being read from a handful of readers who email almost every chapter, and that's enough for me :)

I will admit that I'm shocking for reading stories, though. There are too many to read... and I'm reluctant to start new stories because it takes me away from my writing time.

Graeme, if you ever have the inclination to start a new story, I most highly recommend Dan's "Dreams of Humanity". It's sci-fi, but hard sci-fi and absolutely excelent. But, if Sci-fi just isn't your thing, "The Bully" is absolutely excelent too and it isn't sci-fi at all (at least, not so far).

Well that, and you are headed offline for a stretch. Good luck with that! Better you than me - I'd be in desparate need of someone to break me out of my Internet-withdrawal-induced coma :pickaxe:

Hmmmm. One sure sign of a postaholic: two sequential posts in the same thread. 0:)

• Site Administrator
Graeme, if you ever have the inclination to start a new story, I most highly recommend Dan's "Dreams of Humanity". It's sci-fi, but hard sci-fi and absolutely excelent. But, if Sci-fi just isn't your thing, "The Bully" is absolutely excelent too and it isn't sci-fi at all (at least, not so far).

My print library at home is roughly 40% science-fiction, 55% fantasy and a smattering of other genres. However, online I tend to read more contemporary stories.

I'll add it to my (long) list of stories to read :) Any ideas of roughly how many A4 pages the story would be so far? One option (if Dan didn't object) would be for me to print it off and take it with me when I go on vacation, but that would depend on how big the printout would be.

My print library at home is roughly 40% science-fiction, 55% fantasy and a smattering of other genres. However, online I tend to read more contemporary stories.

I'll add it to my (long) list of stories to read :) Any ideas of roughly how many A4 pages the story would be so far? One option (if Dan didn't object) would be for me to print it off and take it with me when I go on vacation, but that would depend on how big the printout would be.

DoH chapters seem to average around 5500 words, and I just checked on page numbers: A text re-size to a 10 font makes chapter 25 7 pages, and 7*25 is 175.

I have no idea what Dan's policy is on printing out his chapters, so hopefully he will weigh in.

I'm a big fan of hard sci-fi, and DoH is one of the very best I've ever seen.