3 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Had the woggle and toggle stuff back in Cub Scout days.

I only ever attended one single session at the Cub Scouts, and told my mother I wasn't going to go again.

Even at such a young age I found the "oath" we were expected to make at the start of every meeting grated with me. The idea of helping others, and trying to do a good deed each day, was okay; even doing my duty to god didn't seem too off-putting, as I was too young to have started questioning whether god really existed at that age (I think I probably still believed in Father Christmas); but, strangely, it was the promise to do my duty to the queen that I really had difficulty with (I was born in England). To my young mind, I believed the queen had a duty to her people, not the other way round.

I also found the semi-military nature of the meeting off-putting. To use a more modern term, I looked at it as a sort of paramilitary organisation.

I suppose I was just a strange child... :yes: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Marty said:

I only ever attended one single session at the Cub Scouts, and told my mother I wasn't going to go again.

Even at such a young age I found the "oath" we were expected to make at the start of every meeting grated with me. The idea of helping others, and trying to do a good deed each day, was okay; even doing my duty to god didn't seem too off-putting, as I was too young to have started questioning whether god really existed at that age (I think I probably still believed in Father Christmas); but, strangely, it was the promise to do my duty to the queen that I really had difficulty with (I was born in England). To my young mind, I believed the queen had a duty to her people, not the other way round.

I also found the semi-military nature of the meeting off-putting. To use a more modern term, I looked at it as a sort of paramilitary organisation.

I love the analysis! I appreciated the concept of helping others and the sense of leadership. Didn't care for the whole devotion to god (our troop was funded by the church, so we got an extra dosage of that). Looking back, I'm glad I went through with the program, but the paramilitary theme now bothers me. The scholarship offers were very nice as well. :gikkle:

I also agree with the promise to do my duty to my country. "Hi, I'm thirteen. What... am I supposed to do?" At least I didn't become brainwashed and kept with it for the Venture Scouts. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I also agree with the promise to do my duty to my country. "Hi, I'm thirteen. What... am I supposed to do?" At least I didn't become brainwashed and kept with it for the Venture Scouts. 

The main reason I decided (in 1982) to embrace my Irish heritage and actually apply for an Irish passport (I was already considered an Irish citizen, as my father had been born in Ireland) was because of the fact that Ireland considers itself a neutral country. It was largely due to the fact that Maggie Thatcher had claimed to have ordered the sinking of the General Belgrano during the Falklands War in the name of the British people (and showed absolutely no concern or regret over the fact that several hundred human beings had been killed as a result). I decided that she hadn't ordered it in my name.

Also, apart from a claim on the six counties of Northern Ireland in the original Irish Constitution (a claim since removed in a referendum linked to The Good Friday Agreement), Ireland's military has only ever been involved in other countries in various UN peacekeeping missions. I don't consider myself a patriot. I don't believe in petty nationalism. I just consider myself to be a fellow member of the human race.

Edited by Marty
Tidying up
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Marty said:

...or as Robert Owen put it “All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer” :gikkle:

“duty to the Queen” is as Patron (and previously every Monarch since the Scouts were incorporated by Royal Charter in 1912) when it started in the UK, but “country” elsewhere (not sure about Australia / Canada / NZ))

the military aspect reflects Baden-Powell’s army background and his intent to create a structure of similar values for boys - but, yeah, it didn’t appeal to me either when I tried it (once I think... :lol:) Then I found a boys club with a tuck shop (crisps, sweets and pop :yes:) and a rough ground cycle track where you could take-off and crash and minimal (= none :funny:) supervision... :P

:joe:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

Ah... well, I didn't learn about all of this through the Indiana Educational System, so this is news to me! We stopped at pre-algebra and World War II. 

I am not a very political or patriotic person, and tend to stray away from (I'm going to use the word) "fueled" conversations. A lot of people (particularly in my neck of the woods) get very uppity in their feelings regarding their opinions, and while I understand the importance, I don't agree with their decision to purposefully increase their blood pressure. I'll just continue to stay just informed enough to be able to skirt by in conversation. 

In other news... back to LPWLand. 

declaration of independence help GIF

Edited by astone2292
Editing my reason: I'm sleepy and an idiot!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Zombie said:

...or as Robert Owen put it “All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer” :gikkle:

Or, as my maternal grandfather used to say to me:

"There's nowt so queer as folk. Sometimes I think there's only two sane people in the world: me and thee."

He would normally then furrow his brow, studiously look at me, and finish with:

"And sometimes I'm not even sure about thee."

:yes:

Edited by Marty
Tidying up
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Marty said:

My apologies if that's my doing.

I just edited my post, my edit reason is very descriptive. 

No, think my brain made it's final fart noise for the evening. Cue the Windows XP shut-off noise! 

Edited by astone2292
Gah! Can't get my Windows versions correct!
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, astone2292 said:

Also, I really need to step away from the keyboard. I mixed XP with 98. I edited my error, so in response...

I was thinking of this noise.

A much better sound! :yes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, clochette said:

All boring talks about noises from an eternity -_-

Me I'm gonna grab the :joe: like

Be ready Marty :lol:

yes it’s a tricksy ploy by the devious leprechaun :angry: to put us all into a stultified stupor so we loose interest in the only thing that matters here...

SNATCH! :joe: :funny:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

they look well past their use-by date :gikkle:

1 hour ago, Marty said:

So people say about me, at times...

:rofl: you took the words from me Marty :gikkle:

Now it's time for Queen Clo :joe:! :D

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

yes it’s a tricksy ploy by the devious leprechaun :angry: to put us all into a stultified stupor so we loose interest in the only thing that matters here...

SNATCH! :joe: :funny:

Dang you sound clever Z. You've hidden your game well all this time :gikkle:

I'm offering you the honorably title of Royal Zombie in my court :yes:

Yours, truly

Queen Clo :joe:

Edited by clochette
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, clochette said:

I'm offering you the honorably title of Royal Zombie in my court

I can imagine it now...

They'll likely make a movie of it.

I doubt if will end as happily as Shrek The Third, though. (Or be as big a box office hit.) :no: 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

I can imagine it now...

They'll likely make a movie of it.

I doubt if will end as happily as Shrek The Third, though. (Or be as big a box office hit.) :no: 

We already have a deal with Netflix 💰💰💰 -_-

Edited by clochette
  • Love 1