How do authors get good at writing, do they think anyone can do it?

Didnt know where write this. I love reading but english not my first language. Lot time I have stop and read what write. I only been in UK two years and at school alot of what they teach confuse me. Like different verbs and things like that. So I not good at it. I like reading and got lot stories in my head. I not got lot of friends as lots here think I sound Russian even I say I from Moldova. So love read fiction as it like escaping from here. If do writing at school I get low grade and not think I get much of grade in GCSE. I do try at home write stuff but it not good and much I write in Romanian which my first language. Love read stuff here as it relates lot to me as being gay. Love ask writers here how they get started and how they get good but think they laugh at me and also they must have hundreds of fans to. I wonder if any give advice and if they think over time anyone can fo it? 

• Love 3
  • Wow 1

Welcome to GayAuthors! 

And as others have pointed out, we all believe anyone can write with varying degrees of skill. And the more you write the better you will become as in anything you do. I can only imagine how difficult it is for you in the UK right now due to the language barrier. We are social beings that need to communicate with others so I can understand the frustration and the challenge of meeting friends. 

From what you said, you have two different goals in mind. So I think you should approach the two in different ways. 

1. You want to get better and reading and writing in English.

There is only one way to get better at English and that is to practice. See if there are tutors that can help you, maybe ask your teacher if they know of anyone that can help you. And practice, practice, practice. Read as much as you can, and when you don't understand the meaning of a word, look it up right then, write it on a card with the definition so you can go back and memorize it. 

I also think GayAuthor's is a great resource for your to practice reading and writing in English, with other people that will not make fun of you. And other people that can relate to you being gay. Start reading the forums, jump in when you think you have something to say. And don't be scared if you don't get all the words right. In your above post we could understand all the points you wanted to make. So you are understood. 

And don't get discouraged, English is not an easy language to learn. Keep working to get better. 

2. You want to start writing down the stories inside your head. 

IF you are more comfortable writing in Romanian, then begin writing in that language. Learning how to write a story is difficult enough without the added pressure of writing in a language you aren't comfortable in yet. So write the story in your native language, later on you can find translation programs, or after you are more comfortable writing in English, you can translate it yourself. 

If you need help coming up with ideas on what to write about, look up an entry in the Blog section called Prompts. That is a great place to find inspiration for story ideas that you might be able to tie back to an idea you have in your head. 

And never be scared to ask for help or guidance, that is why the online community is here, to help others in their journey. 

Good luck and welcome to GA!

J

• Like 1
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, dannyportwersburghuk said:

Thank to all. Think need try what all say and read more. I only want write for myself at first. So I will try what you all say. Thank again.

You are more than welcome @dannyportwersburghuk. It is a pleasure to be of help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dannyportwersburghuk said:

I only want write for myself at first.

This is something that a lot of writers do in the beginning before they decide to branch out. Before you know it, you'll be sharing with others, even though that time may seem like a long throw in time from now. I get that the language barrier is exactly that: a barrier. But we live and learn, yes? Of course it helps to have an underlying desire, a personal goal if you like, but with an objective at the end to look toward.

As others have said reading is essential but you will find that you have a real friend in English television and movies, too, and don't dismiss the local news broadcast. The point is, I think, to immerse yourself in the language that you want to write in and pay attention to how words are used and why they're used in the manner they are. The gist of a language is easier to understand than the subtleties but oftentimes watching a person speak and paying attention to body language, or facial expressions, will lead to a better understanding of word usage as well. All the trivial things that seem unimportant now will help you improve your understanding of the language and its usage.

Good luck.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I do try watch news things but get upset watching things about Ukraine as my country has had Russian troops in it for like ever. So dont listen 2 it. Books have read at school and then write about are sometimes boring. I love reading but lot them ones make me fall sleep. I like only one I think it called loneliness of long distance runner. It not like long book but like it as I think alot when running or on my bike and even it an old book it cool as can relate 2 it. Before find here i buy lot books in 2nd hand bookshop so read lot english 1s. I like some english films but watch loads anime on netflix so maybe not as good 2 learn from. Here i love as lot 1s can relate 2. Think just wish could write better but only been doing for 2 years so as lot say think get better. If listen music lot that make me wanna write dont know why.

• Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2

• Site Administrator

As this is more of a philosophic question about writing, and not a "how to" or technical help question for GA staff/members, I am moving this topic to the Lounge instead of the Help forum. Just an FYI. 

• Like 3

The only thing I might add to the great advice you've gotten is to write a couple of paragraphs in your native Romanian and then translate into English using Google translate. That way you can see side by side how the grammar is structured. Hope that helps. Keep on reading and practicing speaking as often as possible. It will really help. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It good 1 can write lot in Romanian then work it out in english bit with help on google translate. Just when teach verbs and nouns school get confused. Thank for answer it bit scary getting answers from authors like authors know so much and just feel idiot sometime so thank

• Love 3

7 hours ago, dannyportwersburghuk said:

It good 1 can write lot in Romanian then work it out in english bit with help on google translate. Just when teach verbs and nouns school get confused. Thank for answer it bit scary getting answers from authors like authors know so much and just feel idiot sometime so thank

There is no reason for you to feel like an idiot and nothing for you to be scared about. Let me tell you something about all of the authors on GA, we had to learn too. We all had to learn about adjectives, verbs, adverbs and nouns, some have learned more than others and some are still learning so you are not on your own. We also had to learn about sentence structure, grammar and how to use punctuation, some have learned more than others and some are still learning. Some authors use computer programs to help with these things, while others don't. I use a program called Grammarly which is a great help, there are other computer programs and apps that do the same as Grammarly does. A lot of authors have people to help them, they are called beta readers and editors, they do not write the story but they do help an author to get it right. A beta reader will read a story and point out parts of the story that do not make sense or tell the author about other errors in the story. An editor will check for mistakes in spelling, and the wrong use of adjectives, verbs, adverbs and nouns and tell the author about them so the author can correct them. The editor will also help the author with sentence structure, grammar and punctuation. Sometimes it is a bit like having a teacher checking your work and authors do learn a lot from beta readers and editors. Authors are human, we make mistakes and sometimes we need help too.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 5

On 8/30/2024 at 5:59 PM, dannyportwersburghuk said:

I do try watch news things but get upset watching things about Ukraine as my country has had Russian troops in it for like ever. So dont listen 2 it. Books have read at school and then write about are sometimes boring. I love reading but lot them ones make me fall sleep. I like only one I think it called loneliness of long distance runner. It not like long book but like it as I think alot when running or on my bike and even it an old book it cool as can relate 2 it. Before find here i buy lot books in 2nd hand bookshop so read lot english 1s. I like some english films but watch loads anime on netflix so maybe not as good 2 learn from. Here i love as lot 1s can relate 2. Think just wish could write better but only been doing for 2 years so as lot say think get better. If listen music lot that make me wanna write dont know why.

Honestly, it's not about reading. It's all about comprehending what you're reading. And as you're reading, you ALWAYS have to have three mindsets.

The mindset of a reader. The mindset of a writer. And the mindset of an editor.

Each flow of thinking requires years of honing and training.

• It's like reading with the reader's mindest: reading to understand who the characters are and why the characters did this, did that, have so much personality, have zero personality, the plot is plotting, the plot is a dumpster fire, and what the story is all about, if the science isn't logical, if the facts aren't factual, if the nonsense written is a shortcut to dumbassery, if the author thinks you're too dumb as a reader to notice such a glaring flaw, if this excellent piece of prose was missed or wasn't too impactful in the context it's displayed, which reflects mostly the task of beta readers. 
  • The writer's mindset: how each of the characters was written in a way that reflects their personality. How the plot answers to the theme of the story. How is the phrase or sentence written in a way that encompasses the character's emotions? Or how the single short line reflects everything this character has gone through. These are mostly the questions you'd ask when you're in the writer's mindset, critiquing other people's work.
  • The editor's mindset: how the sentence is structured? If the facts stated in the book are correct, or even sensible? Grammar issues: more or less. Too many descriptions. No descriptions. Needs an ounce of description. The sentence doesn't make sense. Very flowery. Too much purple prose. Characters are walking heads.

Basically, what your reader's mind notices, your writer's mind should be able to answer. What the writer's mind sees, your editor's mind should be able to explain logically. And what the editor's mind points out should reflect what your reader's mind is seeing.

If Jane Austen is in front of you, asking you to critique her work, her novel, which you've just finished reading, and you say to yourself, it's perfect...I can't see any problem with it.

Then you need to look in the looking glass and ask yourself, really? There's no improvement. You didn't think Mr. Darcy's being a simp to Elizabeth? You didn't think her description of where they were traipsing around the hall was too laboriously done, as though it was sent through the rigamarole of descriptions that it was too frigging long? You didn't think to praise her novel as satire and not an elaborate love story, but the mockeries of classism relegated in its time?

And if you can think like that while reading other people's works, I'm sure you have the propensity to write one yourself.

Edited by LJCC
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

You also cannot 'ever' get yourself down, be afraid of failure, or feel ashamed for the words you put to paper. Nothing will come out perfect, most of us are lucky if it comes out halfway comprehensible. :P So, stop negative thinking, put your mind and fingers to work, and keep trying to hone your writing.

Writing is like everything else, the more you do it - if you're open to learning and not just 'doing,' you will get better. A lot of the advice others have offered has been well given though. :D Just don't allow the negativity to creep in and you give up before you get started. It can seem overwhelming. 

• Love 3