Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,537 Words
  • 2,384 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 8. Chapter 8

The carpenters finished Floors 2B and 2C. The amenities rooms at the end were finished. I did make one change. I had a stairway installed from the amenity room in 2A to 2B and from 2B to 2C. I intended to make one of the amenity rooms a library where the kids could study or just read a novel. One would be a play area, with games, video, and board games; I’d install a popcorn machine and a DVD player to show movies. The last amenity room would be used as a gym.

I ran this idea past our first Board meeting. They unanimously approved it. Mom introduced Grace Ellsworth as the Child Services representative to the Board. She was an older person and exuded warmth not found at the city level. She introduced herself as head of Child Services for the state. She said she was impressed with Sanctuary and that street children were a difficult problem to solve. Many times they were placed in foster homes only to run away again. “Perhaps we need more Sanctuaries.”

I explained my plans for the third floor, my idea of a clinic, school rooms, and a counseling office. I also included my vision of the quads and how that was going to work, in which I indicated that the top floor would be all bedrooms, of which I’ll lay claim to one. “As soon as the drawings are completed, I’ll give each of you a copy for your comments and your approval.”

As the Board meeting broke up, I cornered Grace. “Grace, I think it’s important to get someone on board who has experience with child behavior and particularly destructive behavior. Sometimes I get the feeling I’m sitting on a time bomb. In your experience, have you come into contact with someone in this field?”

“I might have someone in mind. Let me talk to him, and I’ll get back to you.”

“Thanks, Grace. That’ll be one worry off my list if he agrees.”

“Just out of curiosity, what’s next on your list?”

“Getting a doctor to give these kids a physical exam from head to toe; then getting him to sign on as the official Sanctuary doctor.”

 

The next day, Abe arrived on schedule. I showed him the basement door leading to the steps to the loading dock. “I thought for the office wing, we could place a small 2 or 3 person elevator here. We would put enclosed steps on the left side leading to each floor.”

“Yes, that’ll work. What did you have in mind for the office building?”

“I was hoping we could get two offices on each floor. I would need one, an office with an examination room for a doctor, one for a counselor, and one with a conference room for Board meetings. Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.”

“Alright, I’ll send out my contractor and get measurements. Then I’ll run a preliminary plan across your desk.”

After lunch, Tony called with a range of salaries for a cook. I asked a few questions and thought about the salary. I asked Tony if I should pay by the hour or as a monthly salary. “If she has people working for her, then she’d be exempt as a supervisor, and you should pay a monthly salary.”

So the next morning, when Bubba was sneaking snacks, “Bubba,” he jumped as he was being caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “I need to see your mother. What did your mother do before she lost her job?”

“She worked for a family as a maid, but she also cooked for them. You aren’t going to tell my mother that I was taking snacks from the machine?”

“That will depend on your mother agreeing to work for me for what I’m willing to pay her.”

“Don’t tell her I told you, but they were paying her only 150 dollars a week. If it wasn’t for food stamps and that we owned our home, I could’ve been a street kid.”

Ruffling his hair, “Go tell your mom I’d like to see her.”

I went and sat down with Beth and reviewed the cards. According to her cards, we had 73 permanent guests. “Beth, are there kids who won’t sign up but are here for the food only?”

She nodded her head, yes. “Some are afraid because they’re threatened if they come here, and some think that you’ll not let them stay here because of what they did to stay alive.”

“If you see any of those kids, let me know. I’ll talk to them.”

Now I knew I need a counselor, and I need a private office. I converted the room I used to sleep in when I stayed at Sanctuary into an office. I just added two chairs, folded up the bed, and laid it against the wall.

As it was my habit, I walked around the various floors, checking on the cleanliness, making sure that there were plenty of towels and that the clothes lockers were full. I also watched some of the kids work; they were smiling and were doing a great job. At the next board meeting, I decided to bring up the idea of giving allowances and putting the older kids on the payroll.

When I got back to the dining room, I noticed a boy sitting alone at one of the tables drinking a glass of milk. I looked at Beth, and she nodded her head. I poured myself a cup of coffee and headed to the boy. He didn’t see me until I sat down. When he looked at me, I saw tears in his eyes, and he looked like he was ready to run. I put my arm around his shoulder, “It’s ok. You’re safe here. I won’t hurt you.” He just cried harder. I pulled him into my arms, “Let’s go into my office.”

I put my arm around his shoulder and led him to my office. “My name is Brad, what’s your name?”

At a very low voice racked with sobs, “Billy.”

“Well, Billy, Beth said you didn’t want to stay here. Will you please tell me why?

Crying harder, “I’m not a very nice person. They tell me I’m an abomination. The men on the street used me. I don’t think you want my kind here.”

“Oh, you’re so wrong, Billy. You’re just the boy that Sanctuary was created. I’ll see that you have food and that you have a place to stay. I’ll also make sure you’re safe. I have an idea, how about I give you a tour and then we can talk some more, ok?”

Sniffling, he nodded his head. I showed him the showers and particularly pointed out the cabanas where he would be safe while taking a shower. I showed him the cocoons and how they would lock from the inside so no one could get to him, and then I showed him the amenities area. When we went back to my office, “Billy, will you change your mind and come live with us?”

“Do you mean that? I’m dirty, and I did nasty things with men.”

“That’s what the showers are for, to wash your old life away and start anew here. What do you say, give us a chance?”

With eyes looking down, he nodded his head yes. “Come on, let’s get Beth to check you in. She’ll assign you a cocoon that’ll be yours as long as you stay here.”

When we went back into the dining hall, Mrs. Jenkins was waiting for me. I indicated for Beth to come over, “Beth, this is Billy, and he’ll be joining us. You need to review the rules, assign him a cocoon, and then have Jeff show him the shower room explaining the lockers.”

I gave Billy a squeeze and a hug, “You’ll be ok.”

“Mrs. Jenkins, if you have a moment, I would like to show you our cook shack. We walked out the back door to the cook shack. I noticed the boys had made a sign, ‘cook shack,’ and placed it over the door.

“I want to confirm my offer as our cook. This area is empty. If you accept, I’d like you to select the appliances you’ll need, the utensils, and additional storage areas. Just remember you’ll be cooking for as many as 150 boys that’s equivalent to 400 lumberjacks. The salary to start will be 1500 a month, and once we get the kitchen up and running, it’ll be increased to 2000 a month. What do you say; will you be Sanctuary’s head cook?”

There is something about seeing a woman cry. “I guess that means yes.” She nodded her head.

Bubba came out and saw his mother crying, “What did you do to make my momma cry!”

“Hush, baby, these are tears of happiness.”

Bubba looked down at his feet and mumbled, “Sorry.”

“Bubba, your mother, is going to need your help, so why don’t you take this tablet and pencil and begin to make a list as your momma instructs you.”

With a questionable look at me, Bubba took the tablet and pencil.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great progress on the kitchen first a cook then doctor I think then councilling

Yep, I think that is the right order

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

How  is the security there? I can picture a wrong kind of person doing say lurking in the shower area or something like that.Somebody is going to try .

Brad will make arrangements for the police to be in the area. I won't be surprised if he does fence in the area, like Carleton

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well the story is beautiful it becomes better with every chapter. 
Thanks👍👍👍👍

Bye👋👋👋

Max P🇳🇱

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..