Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,496 Words
  • 2,705 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 3. Chapter 3

I was anxious to get to the warehouse and start ordering material for the dining area. The tables should arrive today, and once they are in place, I’ll know where to place the vending machines. I marked off the space for the counter and refrigerator across from the tables. The painters arrived and started to spray paint the walls. I received a call from the supplier of the vending machines, and they acknowledged my order. Shipping would be within the next seven days.

Calling my mom, “Mom, could you purchase some kitchen equipment for me and see if they’ll deliver it to the warehouse.”

“Text me a list, and I’ll see what I can find. I assume you want to have this as soon as possible.”

“At least within the next few days, I’m going to buy some cabinets. Then I’ll have a place to put the equipment. Thanks, Mom.”

I ordered the overhead kitchen cabinets and one under the counter cabinet. I needed space under the counter for dishwashers and refrigerators. The question now was how much space I’d need. Taking a ruler, I visited an appliance store and noted the width and depth of several pieces of appliances.

That evening at dinner, Mom told me what she had looked at and her suggestions. “I need to get countertops, but I also need to design the kitchen area. Do you think you could come and help me?”

“OK, I’ll go with you in the morning. I’m quite anxious to see this project of yours.”

The next morning, Dad drove mom to the warehouse. When we arrived, I saw a lot of people hanging around. I guess the workers coming and going last week stirred up some curiosity. I wonder what they’ll think when it’s complete.

I showed my mom around, explaining my ideas and how the building would be utilized. We started in the basement and worked our way up to the second floor. I showed her a picture of the Japanese capsule hotels. “This is what I’ll install on this floor.”

Going back to the ground floor, the back door opened, and a man entered, “We have some picnic tables for a Mr. Williams.” My dad and I both answered simultaneously, “I’m Mr. Williams.”

Laughing, “This is the Mr. Williams you want to talk to; he’s my son and the owner of this building.”

I showed him where I wanted the benches placed, which he did within 30 minutes. “What do you think, Mom?”

“I like the idea. Good place for kids to eat, maxim utilization of the space. Yes, I think that’ll work perfectly.”

“Mom, here is where I want to put the dishwashers, refrigerators, microwave units, and the sinks. I plan on putting a cupboard above to hold dishes, glasses, and cups. Silverware will be in a drawer under the counter. There’ll probably be several drawers. I can’t wait to open this place. There are so many needy kids.”

“I know you have a passion for helping these kids; I saw several on our way here. We’ll help you to expedite the finishing of at least the first two floors and the basement.”

I’m not sure what transpired when my parents left. Late that afternoon, a man showed up asking if I was Brad Williams. I acknowledge that I was. He asked if I could show him around and tell him what my ideas were concerning the rooms. I wasn’t sure if I should do that, but I didn’t see any harm, so I showed him around. When we were finished, he asked what time do I usually arrive in the morning. I told him I’m usually here at eight in the morning. He thanked me for the tour and left.

That evening at dinner, I told my dad about this man coming to the warehouse and asking to be shown around.

“Was he about 6 feet tall, white hair and a black mustache?”

“Yes, I thought it was odd, white hair and a back mustache.”

“That’s Abe Carver. He’s an architect and a friend of mine. I asked him to look over the place, get your ideas, and get back to me as soon as possible. I thought with all the changes you’ll be making, and it wouldn’t hurt to have plans that would guide your thinking and any workmen that you employ to help.”

“Thanks, Dad, he should’ve introduced himself. There was a moment I thought he was from some agency that could’ve stopped me.”

“I should’ve told you he was coming. Don’t be surprised who shows up. Ask them who sent them, and they’ll tell you if it was me or if it was an agency.”

The next morning, I checked to see who made the cubicles that I’d need for the bedroom area and the showers for the first floor. There was a knock at the door, followed by, “Is anyone here?”

I opened the door, and there was a man dressed in coveralls. “Your dad sent us; we have a load of bricks and lumber. Is there a back way into the building?”

I nodded and asked that he followed me, taking him out the back door; I showed him the unloading dock. He thanked me and went back out the front door. I hung around the loading dock, waiting for the truck. In about fifteen minutes, the truck arrived and began unloading the bricks and lumber. I signed the delivery paper and called dad. “Dad, they made a delivery of bricks and lumber today.”

“Yes, and tomorrow masons will show up to start closing up the windows. Abe has a draft of the renovations, and I’ll show them to you at dinner tonight.”

True to his word, masons showed up with an architectural plan and began working on the windows. While they were doing that; Abe showed up with a plan for the basement; it laid out all of the piping and ventilation. He suggested where the shower rooms were located, cut the drain into the floor, and then a grate would be placed over the top to permit water to move to a sump at the washer area. I thought that wasn’t a bad idea and told him that. He showed me the basement layout, highlighting the shower area, lockers, sinks, commercial washers and dryers, smaller washers, and dryers. He included a commercial pressing machine that could iron any size clothing, sheets, etc. I liked the plan and told him. The next thing I knew, he was talking to someone on the phone. Smiling, he shook my hand and left. The following morning, the masons arrived and men with pneumatic drills and a carpenter. The men with the drills went to the basement and marked where the drains would be. If someone could look down from the ceiling, they would see the layout was identical to the drawing Abe had shown me.

The noise was deafening. The men wore hearing muffs that deadened the sound, but you could hear it on the second floor. The carpenter started to layout the second level, what I referred to as 2A. He looked at my idea of the cubicles and made some notations on a sheet of paper. Before he left, I showed him the kitchen area on the ground floor. He made some notes again and told me he’d be back in the morning.

I was anxious to get to the warehouse in the morning to see what was accomplished and who was going to show up. Although my dad arranged for these workmen, I made it clear that I’d pay for their services and not my dad. When I arrived at the warehouse, although it was only 7 am, the carpenter was there with a truckload of wood, I-beams, and several men. He showed me Abe’s print, “We’re going to start on the second level making another floor.”

I was delighted to hear that. I felt that this project would become a reality for the first time. The basement drains were finished by the end of the week and tested. I didn’t need to look for shower stalls as Abe had designed a stall and submitted it for bids. The first four arrived one week after the floor drains were completed. For the next several days, shipments of the shower stalls arrived, sets of four. By the end of the week, they were put in place and ready to be connected to the water and drains. I had ordered the lockers, and they were coming Monday of the following week. The lockers for the personal effects I bought from schools who wanted to update their sport lockers. I liked these because they looked like train lockers. You need a key to insert into the door lock. Once the door was closed, you could remove the key; once the door was open, you could not remove the key. The carpenters helped to install the lockers.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 18
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read these chapters and really wish I could do the same thing. Alas, my husband didn't exactly leave me flush with cash when he died so I can't buy a warehouse. Due to the virus, I really have no idea how to go about helping kids like that since I'm afraid to leave my house!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Once everything is done how they go about getting the kids?In the other stories they went out and got them so I  guess that's how they'll do it here at least at first . 

 

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Once everything is done how they go about getting the kids?In the other stories they went out and got them so I  guess that's how they'll do it here at least at first . 

Build it, they will come,

feed them, they will come,

clothe them, they will come;

just one brought within the fold, then,

allowed to return for others,

allowed to help feed the others,

allowed to bring shelter to others,

will be a much stronger testimonial than anything short of the physical, and time proven experience. 🙏 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

This really good chapter shows plans and construction moving along quickly but efficiently.

Keep expecting arrival of commercial kitchen equipment  like walk-in fridges, freezers and storage to feed 366 or more. I suspect they'll need to expand food services 'outside' the centre.

Anonymous donors waiting in wings? A holiday 'miracle' with visions of warm beds, being clean and fed, awaits the children of the street. No longer thrown out but welcomed and safe.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Chris L said:

Train lockers and full steam ahead! The warehouse is coming together nicely. It always amazes me what the power of many, working together in one direction for a common goal, can accomplish. 

They can climb mountains when they all agree on a common purpose 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Jondon said:

This story is getting more interesting as each chapter goes along. It reminds me of a group in Sydney (Australia) that I was involved with in the late 1980's to early 1990's called  Twenty Ten (2010) which was a youth refuge, and as I was working for a food distributor at the time and earning good wages for Christmas one year I donated 1 large leg ham, BBQ chickens salads, plum pudding, custard etc and the residents loved it, and to set up and serve my housemate at the time came along on Christmas Day with me and  assisted.

 

I am looking forward to this being a slightly longer than normal story ( I HOPE).

What a great idea and I'm glad you ands your partner did that. You have set an example for other people, being the Season of love and joy, I challenge any of my readers to do something similar. Remember it is the thought that counts, a box of cookies, not everyone can afford a feast like Jordon. Oh, if you do decided on cookies, I'll be glad to rate them for you 😄. Thanks Jondon, bless you

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

I read these chapters and really wish I could do the same thing. Alas, my husband didn't exactly leave me flush with cash when he died so I can't buy a warehouse. Due to the virus, I really have no idea how to go about helping kids like that since I'm afraid to leave my house!

That is a shame that you are afraid of leaving your home. But you can help, prayers and the support of a charity that caters to these kids. They can make 5 dollars go a long way.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Once everything is done how they go about getting the kids?In the other stories they went out and got them so I  guess that's how they'll do it here at least at first . 

 

You are going to be surprised where the kids come from.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Philippe said:

Build it, they will come,

feed them, they will come,

clothe them, they will come;

just one brought within the fold, then,

allowed to return for others,

allowed to help feed the others,

allowed to bring shelter to others,

will be a much stronger testimonial than anything short of the physical, and time proven experience. 🙏 

 

Thanks for that. It is so true. Bless you my son

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. So many people working together for a common cause, to rescue the children 

It usually takes a spark to start a fire. Brad's spark is gaining a lot of help

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

This really good chapter shows plans and construction moving along quickly but efficiently.

Keep expecting arrival of commercial kitchen equipment  like walk-in fridges, freezers and storage to feed 366 or more. I suspect they'll need to expand food services 'outside' the centre.

Anonymous donors waiting in wings? A holiday 'miracle' with visions of warm beds, being clean and fed, awaits the children of the street. No longer thrown out but welcomed and safe.

Have you read this story before?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Have you read this story before?

Not yours specifically, but something very similar back in the spring (I believe from OZ author). Unless you're publishing under alternate / multiple 'nom de plume'?  :huh:

T

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Not yours specifically, but something very similar back in the spring (I believe from OZ author). Unless you're publishing under alternate / multiple 'nom de plume'?  :huh:

T

Nope just my name, I published this book in 1980 on Amazon Kindle

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Nope just my name, I published this book in 1980 on Amazon Kindle

So perhaps what I read (back in March 2020) was 'inspired' by your original Kindle post, and then 'tweaked'? 

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? (not to be confused with plagiarism, buying term papers, verbatim speeches etc :o.).

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

So perhaps what I read (back in March 2020) was 'inspired' by your original Kindle post, and then 'tweaked'? 

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? (not to be confused with plagiarism, buying term papers, verbatim speeches etc :o.).

 

 

I agree. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..