Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,419 Words
  • 2,413 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 70. Chapter 70

Entering the dining hall, I noticed our favorite police officers, Murray and O’Shea, sitting with kids around them. I nudge Aaron with my elbow while tilting my head toward Murray and O’Shea. “I think they like the kids almost as much as you, Brad.”

“Yes, they grow on you, don’t they.” I knew how Aaron felt about the kids. He’d defend them to his death if he had to. Once you knew these kids, it wasn’t hard to love them. Whenever I think about how anyone could harm them or take advantage of them, I became angry.

Getting our dinner, we sat at an empty spot. Aaron sat with a mixed group close to Murray while I found a table where the new group was seated. I sat down, and they smiled at me. “How are you, Brad?”

“I’m fine. How are your classes coming along, Adil?”

“They’re coming along fine. I think they want me to take some test tomorrow.”

“I know you can speak English, but can you read it as well?”

“Yes, I grew up in a house owned by an English couple. When they returned to England, I started to beg on the streets. That’s when this man told me that I could make money in America, and you know the rest.”

“How old are you?” I knew I had to go and look at the ages of the kids from the barrels.

“I’m 16, but I’m small for my age. I’ll be 17 by the end of this month.”

“Is your name on the birthday calendar?”

“Yes, all of our names are there.”

“Good, I may have a surprise for you.”

We continued to eat while a few of them asked Adil to ask me questions. I should encourage them to speak in English. I told this to Adil. When he translated to the groups, they shook their heads no. “They said it is too hard.”

“They must try.”

I got up to get a cup of coffee, touching each child on the head as I passed. Holding my coffee, I saw Curly coming into the dining hall. I looked at him as he went and got three juices. I smiled. He smiled back and left. I took my coffee and headed to where Murray was sitting. I made sure that I touched each kid as I passed them. I got a lot of smiles.

“So what’s new, gentlemen?” I looked at the kids as to include them in the discussion. “Randy, is there anything new or old?”

He smiled, “When can we use the swimming pool?”

“That’s a good question, and I don’t know the answer. Ask me in the morning, and I’ll let you know. You are all anxious to use it. How about the playground? Have you or anyone used it lately?”

“No, but maybe we should take a look at it before it gets dark.” The other kids at the table and those that overheard what was being said got up, put their dirty dishes in the tubs, and headed outside. Mario was on his toes and asked several of the bigger kids to carry the tubs to the cook shack.

“Now that the kids are gone, what’s the latest?”

“Has your dad talked to you?”

“No”

“Well, I overheard that the article in the paper was a paid ad.”

“Really, do we know who placed the ad?”

“I think your father knows, and I believed your attorney had filed a law suit against the guy. But I don’t know who the guy is.”

“I’ll have to call dad later tonight. How about the guys who bought the kids in the barrels?”

“Haven’t heard much on that. It’s been pretty hush hush.”

“That would mean they were pretty high in the government or were important people in commerce. That also means that they have large bank accounts we can go after. At this rate, every kid here will be a millionaire.”

I made it sound like a joke, but I was serious. The trust fund was doing very well, and the kids will benefit greatly. It almost seems like weird justice. Here are kids, thrown away, and now they have more money than the people who threw them away. Justice is an odd fellow.

Saying goodbye, the guys left, and I headed back to the infirmary. As I walked in, I could hear Bubba and Curly making Pat laugh. I sat down in a chair and listened to the foolishness that was going on. Even I had to laugh at some of it.

I saw Pat yawn, “Are you getting sleepy?”

“Yes, can you read to me while I fall asleep?”

“Sure, Bubba and Curly, do you want to stay as well?”

Bubba said he already read the book, so he would go and take Sandy for a walk. “Be careful and stay on the property, ok.”

I began to read to Pat. It wasn’t long before I noticed he was asleep. Curly was heading in that direction when I stopped reading and told him he should go to bed. I tucked Pat in and kissed him on his forehead. Putting my arm around Curly, we headed to his cocoon. When he was ready to climb in, I gave him a hug and a kiss on his forehead. I waited until he closed his door before I headed to my bedroom.

Only I didn’t make it. Tony stopped me in the hallway, “I checked the accounts this evening, and there has been another deposit of 10 million dollars. Do you know where that came from?”

“No, but come with me, and I’ll call my dad. He should be wrapping his night up and getting ready to go home.”

Tony followed me to my room; he sat in the chair while I called my dad. “Dad, Tony is with me and said a deposit of 10 million was made to the account. Any idea who or what?”

I listened as Dad told me what happened. I couldn’t believe what he told me. “Dad, are you sure he wasn’t involved as one of the men who paid for the boys? …Well, I’m sure his church isn’t going to like that. Where did he get that much money? Surely a small church couldn’t come up with 10 million. …You’re kidding me. If that is the case, then he must know something about who those men are…. When they find out, there’s going to be one less hell preaching minister around. …Are the police going to protect him? …Yes, that sounds like a good idea; he can be the bait that catches the big fish. …Thanks, Dad, always glad to accept donations.” Laughing, I said good night.

“Tony, you aren’t going to believe this. Do you remember that crowd that was outside of Sanctuary when we were walking home from Aldo’s?” Shaking his head yes, “Well, he’s the guy who placed the article in the news paper. He was also given a large sum of money to rebuild his church and weigh a campaign against us. They arrested him on slander charges and took him before Dad. Dad told him he had to apologize and said he had to pay 10 million dollars to Sanctuary for all the problems he has caused. He said he didn’t have that kind of money. Dad told him to get it from the people who paid him to put the article in the paper. I don’t know how, but that is where that money came from. Now the police are going to use him as bait to catch the other guys who prepaid. I’m sure this will be the end of one hell fired preacher.”

“Your dad is really behind this project and is doing all he can to help. So what are we going to do with this money?”

“Put 5 in the trust fund for the kids. The other 5 I’ll use to refurbish the boat and to hire a crew to sail it. I don’t know if we could charter it like the plane, so we might have to put the crew on full time.”

Tony smiled, and I got a hug. I hugged him back and kissed him on the lips. I liked Tony. He had a big heart and loved those kids as much as I do. I noticed he blushed a little after the kiss. Saying good night, he left. I hit the bed and was asleep in no time.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 19
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If that article was a paid ad I was under the impression it was supposed to state that somewhere since they mistook for a real article that could be something else the newspaper could be liable for.Chartering the boat when they are not using it sounds like a great idea unless there is something I'm not thinking of.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

If that article was a paid ad I was under the impression it was supposed to state that somewhere since they mistook for a real article that could be something else the newspaper could be liable for.Chartering the boat when they are not using it sounds like a great idea unless there is something I'm not thinking of.

Utilizing that boat to the benefit of Sanctuary is a great idea. It provides a great way to reach their island. Save them from leasing a plane to take 300+ kids to that island. I think that Brad is right on about that boat. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I can just imagine the look on Tony's face when Brad laid one right on the lips! LOL!!!! LOL!!! Gay or straight, the lips are the interstate to the soul! 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, I am glad that some of those hell fire preachers who are some of the worst pedophiles are having to pay up, and I hope the cost to them is huge. Payback is a b*tch

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

Love these guys... but did anyone notice that Bubba left with Sandy and a warning to stay on the grounds. Worried that something is going to happen to him would have been happier if we'd known he got back safely. Pat still has my heart and now Curly is stepping into it as well. 

Really glad that Brad has his dad in his corner, that preacher man could have caused trouble. That will teach him to put himself in the ring against Brad's dad. Breaking news - Preacher = Big fat ZERO... Brad's Dad = Ten million. Oh yes, now those are results I love.

Bubba is very familiar with the area. The warning was in light of what has been happening and Brad's concern he may be kidnapped as those men are probably watching the area

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Chris L said:

I can just imagine the look on Tony's face when Brad laid one right on the lips! LOL!!!! LOL!!! Gay or straight, the lips are the interstate to the soul! 

You got that. I know that Tony slept with a smile.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I am glad that some of those hell fire preachers who are some of the worst pedophiles are having to pay up, and I hope the cost to them is huge. Payback is a b*tch

You got that right. How does 10 million sound

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I wonder what Adil's surprise is, unless it is moving to one of the quads.

Not surprised about that false preacher. Good job.

$10mil hey. Not a bad afternoon's work. More for Sanctuary, more for the kids.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Buz said:

I wonder what Adil's surprise is, unless it is moving to one of the quads.

Not surprised about that false preacher. Good job.

$10mil hey. Not a bad afternoon's work. More for Sanctuary, more for the kids.

Yes Adil's surprise is moving to a quad

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The boat will be useful to Sanctuary 

It will provide another way to protect the kids.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..