Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,681 Words
  • 2,157 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 35. Chapter 35

Breakfast that morning was simple, cereal, hot or cold, fruit and fresh-squeezed orange juice, and plenty of coffee. “

Our security guys came in and helped themselves, as usual. The excitement of the show began to grow. You could feel the excitement in the room. One of the kids started to cry. I immediately went over to him, “Norman, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t have black socks. The kids said you need to wear black socks with black shoes.”

“Well, they are right and wrong. Yes, with black shoes, you need black socks, but you’re mistaken when you say you don’t have black socks. They just haven’t arrived yet. You’ll see tomorrow. Now I want to see a smile.” I kissed him the top of his head and went back to my coffee.”

“How are you going to get him black socks?”

“Lester, how many kids’ black socks do you have? Yes, small and medium. Good, can you send them over in about 2 hours? Thanks.”

I just looked at Tony. He stuck his tongue out at me, and then we both laughed. I don’t know what I’d do without good friends and people who are willing to go the extra step for these boys. Lester is an excellent example of that extra step. He’s only the manager of that store, but I’d bet with the business I’ve given him, he probably manages the most profitable store in the chain.

“Pat, can you get a gang of kids and clean the inside of the buses. Clean the windows on the inside; I’ll get the outside when I run them through the bus wash.” I gave Pat the keys to the doors and watched as he spoke to some of the boys. That didn’t work, for every boy he spoke to, three more joined them. But that was ok, it’d give them something to do for tomorrow’s activities.

“How fancy is that phone of yours? Can you find me the nearest truck or bus washing station so I can get the buses washed?”

“There is one next to the bus depot, and there is a truck washing station on Interstate 90. Which one do you want?”

“I’d like to use the bus washing station.”

“Ok, you drive one, and I’ll drive one, then we’ll bring them back and take the other two.”

We couldn’t just take the buses by ourselves. As soon as Tony and I open the doors, the kids were lined up, ready to board. “We’re just going to get the buses washed.”

Pat, being the gang leader, “Can’t we go for the ride?”

“Sure, some board Tony’s bus, and the rest can board this bus.”

There were more kids than seats, “Pat, why don’t you see if some of the kids can wait until we return for the other two buses.”

Pat checked the buses to make sure each kid had a seat belt; he told the others that they could wait and ride the next buses to be washed. I gave Pat the keys to the other buses, he opened the door, and the extra kids readily moved to the other buses.

The ride to the bus wash was short but, I think, the kids enjoyed the ride through the bus wash more than the ride to the bus wash. We drove the buses back to Sanctuary, ready for Monday.

“Brad, what’s your take on the PA’s.”

“I think there’s a possibility Aaron might take the position, but I don’t think we’ll see Emily anymore. I’ll keep looking. I figured Emily wrong from that luncheon we had. I thought she would jump at the chance.”

“Maybe she was scared. The position has a lot of responsibility.”

“No, I think from the line of her questioning, she couldn’t handle the boys, particularly knowing their background. It’s nice to deal with kids from good families, but it takes a certain sensitivity dealing with kids like ours. She just doesn’t have it.”

“You may be right. You really reacted to her questions.”

“I reacted to the thoughts behind the questions. I hope she doesn’t become a problem.”

“Do you want to go to dinner tonight?”

“I’ll take a rain check, I’m a little tired, and I think I’ll turn in after dinner; big day tomorrow.”

“I don’t think you are worried about tomorrow. I think Emily’s questions are still on your mind.”

“Yea, you’re probably right. She started that line of questioning when she saw me kiss the kid on the head. How could anyone turn a loving kiss into something sordid? I hope tomorrow’s activities will erase that encounter from my head.”

“Hey, Dad,” Bubba was running over with Sandy following him.

“Bubba, you got a tail.”

“No, I don’t,” saying that as he looked at his backside.

I pointed to Sandy. He laughed, “He’s my friend. He follows me everywhere except when I go home. I’m afraid he may get hurt.”

“I’m glad he’s your friend, and I saw that you let the other kids play with him also. I think that’s very nice of you to shareSandy.”

“Uncle Tony, can we go and buy some chews and treats for Sandy?”

“Has he eaten the ones we bought?”

“We only had a few, and he likes to chew them at night when we’re alone, please.”

“Ok, tomorrow morning, early because we have to be back before lunch.”

Dinner that night came from the Chinese café. I made sure I had my pu pu platter loaded. Bubba came to sit with Tony and me. He had ribs, rice, chicken with vegetables, and a small cup of egg drop soup. “I didn’t know you like Chinese food.”

“I never ate it before until you started ordering it for Sunday dinners. I like some of it. I don’t like the other soup; it’s too hot. What is that you and Uncle Tony are eating?

“It’s called a pu pu platter, and it’s made up from the appetizers listed on the menu. Does it look good?”

“There’s no rice. I’m not sure, what’s in the wrap?”

I looked at Tony. Should I offer him a taste and see what happens, I may lose my meal. “Do you want a taste of some of this?”

“Ok, but just a taste in case I don’t like it. Adam and Mario said I must eat everything on my plate.”

“I think you’ll like this.” I cut an egg roll in half and put a little duck sauce on it. He took a bite.

“What is this called?”

“It’s what they call an egg roll. I put a little duck sauce on it. Do you like it?”

“Yes, it’s good. Can we have these next week?”

“Sure, try this.” I took a dumpling, cut it in half, dip it in soy sauce, and gave it to him.

“I like this also. What is it called?”

“It’s a dumpling. They can be steamed, boiled, or fried. The stuffing can be sausage, beef, chicken, or crab.”

“May I have the other half?”

“I think you have another convert.”

“Bubba, I’ll order these for next week, but you have to eat some rice and vegetables with them, ok?”

He smiled and nodded, yes. The door opened, and in came our security. I pointed to the food; they nodded and headed to have dinner. Murray looked over at Tony and me. I held my cup and pointed to Tony and me.

Bubba was finished and headed back for more when Murray and O’Shea came and sat down. “What’s that you are eating?”

I looked to Tony; he was trying to hold in a laugh. “It’s called a pu pu platter, which is an assortment of Chinese appetizers. This, with the soup, makes a nice dinner for me. Sometimes I’ll add rice.”

Murray looked at my plate, “It looks good, as his fork took one of my dumplings. Why don’t you order more of this?”

“I think a new menu is in the works.”

“Is everything set for tomorrow?”

“Do you suppose the guys from the police station could have lunch here? We should leave about 1 hour before the show starts. By the time we get there and get the kids settled, it’ll be time for the show”

“Tony, what time does the matinee start?”

Looking at his phone, “The matinee starts at 1:30, and they suggest we get there between 12 and 12:15.”

“Murray let’s plan it around that time then. Getting the boys settled and carrying Amir will take a little time.”

“O’Shea and I’ll drive the course in the morning and get a feel of traffic. I’ll check with the boys and the guys at the precinct to see what they say. They’re in such a good mood; I wouldn’t be surprised if they give you a police escort.”

“Please don’t let them do that. We’re going to attract a lot of attention as it is. I think I’m getting as excited as the kids.”

“Don’t worry, Brad, it’ll turn out perfectly. With your luck and whoever is upstairs helping you, the kids are in for a treat.”

Looking at Murray and O’Shea, I nodded toward Tony, “My one-man fan club.”

After dinner, as Tony and I were heading to bed, “Tony, I have a feeling that something is going to happen at the theater tomorrow, and I don’t know if it’s going to be good or bad. The last time I had this feeling, we found Amir.”

“Don’t worry about it. We have enough help and protection to safeguard the kids.”

“This is the first time we’ve taken them out. It’s a little scary, and I’m not sure what I’d do if anyone would hurt those kids.”

Tony just hug me. I hugged him back and gave him a light kiss on the lips. Climbed into my cocoon, I went to sleep. I didn’t have a deep sleep; I tossed and turned a lot. Eventually, morning came; Tony knocked on the door and kept walking. I took my clothes and followed him to the shower room.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think everything is gonna run smoothly when The Sanctuary attend there performance of The Lion King.

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I don't think everything is gonna run smoothly when The Sanctuary attend there performance of The Lion King.

You are suspicious but then based on Brad's luck you might be right.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Something @Chris L said made think of something.Most if not all the kids are there voluntarily so they can go out an do stuff during the day if they want.If something should happen to them outside of Sanctuary is Brad liable for anything?Something else I never considered In my many years I've never seen a Bus Wash although its obvious they would exist.Not long ago I took a road trip with a roommate and for the first time I saw a service station that offered showers for truck drivers although I didn't notice anything there must have been a truck wash there also.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Something @Chris L said made think of something.Most if not all the kids are there voluntarily so they can go out an do stuff during the day if they want.If something should happen to them outside of Sanctuary is Brad liable for anything?Something else I never considered In my many years I've never seen a Bus Wash although its obvious they would exist.Not long ago I took a road trip with a roommate and for the first time I saw a service station that offered showers for truck drivers although I didn't notice anything there must have been a truck wash there also.

In the imagination of the author all possibilities exist. 😀 Buses are washed and cleaned inside routinely. Every company that provides bus services provide cleaning services as well. This I know for sure. So as to what happens with the kids if they leave and do something that gets them I trouble, will they come after Brad and Salvation, I doubt that they would do that knowing it would put them back on the  street. Why would they take a chance. They have food, a place to sleep and an allowance. I believe that if a boy was so inclined to leave and cause trouble and if the boys found out, they would disciplined that boy. They came from the streets, why go back?   

The Interstates have a lot of facilities for washing trucks and, beside providing food, also provide showers. It's good business since all of the long haulers use the Interstate system

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Black socks LOL! I was Best Man at my Brother's Wedding, many years ago.

I had black shoes and black socks. My Brother did not have black socks. His were white. He forgot this minute detail so asked that we swap. The gay side of me cringed, but knew I did not have a choice. When he knelt at the altar in front of the Minister, etc his pants legs would ride up. I will never forget having to wear those damned white socks.

Also, if I was the Kids, I would have gone on the bus too. To see the Bus Wash Machine working from inside the bus? That would be cool.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I don't know about any bus wash centers. But I work in sales all over the S.E. US and I have seen the signs advertising and actually have seen the chain call Blue Beacon Truck Wash along the interstate system. Most of the big name or cooperate trucking companies have their own wash area at their facilities. One of my best friends Dad owned a pretty large trucking company of about 90 trucks. I know they had one because they hired a number of our friends for summer and weekend jobs of washing their 18 wheelers and trailers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..