Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,050 Words
  • 2,365 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 63. Chapter 63

It was about a month after Murray made us aware that kids would be coming from Europe when he told us that the first group would be arriving in about a week. I told Beth to be ready for the new kids. I had already transferred ten kids to the quads, giving us an additional 30 empty cocoons.

The third floor of the new building was finished and ready for the new cocoons to be installed. Abe was able to fit 100 cocoons, leaving space for additional showers. Utilizing the concept that was used in the basement, he was able to include six shower stalls. I was relieved to have this done; I now could house over 400 kids.

As Abe turned his attention to finishing off the building with apartments on the 4th and 5th floors, I began to order equipment for the second-floor rooms. I asked my mother to furnish the home economics room. The art room was the easiest as all I needed were easels and canvases for painting. I did have small lockers installed along one side to hold students’ paint supplies. The music room was a little difficult in deciding which instruments to purchase; of course, there would be a piano. Discussing this with Tony, he suggested waiting until the kids showed a preference. I thought that was a good idea, so that is what I did.

With the new building finished, Andy was the first to rent the one-bedroom apartment. I think he did this to allow his boyfriend to stay over, although I had a restriction of no parties. Tony helped me to set the rental rates based on average rates in the city. I discounted this average so that the kids who had jobs could afford to rent one of these apartments.

With this project completed, I turned our attention to the other lot. Abe had a design for the water tower and a swimming pool. I had a few of the older children trained as lifeguards, more as a precaution than a necessity. Abe was able to fit a small playground into the design as well. I guess the garden project will have to wait until I purchase another lot. Mrs. Jenkins did have her herb garden next to the cook shack. The roof gardens were completed, and the kids who were interested in growing flowers and vegetables there took an interest in learning about agriculture. The flowers adorned the dining hall, and the vegetables ended in the cook shack. We did pay the kids for the flowers and veggies. Bubba and Pat wanted to grow fruit trees. I did find some dwarf trees that could be grown in pots. You should’ve seen the smile on their faces when I took them to a nursery to purchase the trees. We bought six trees in their pots. I had to buy a few books on how to take care of these trees. The boys gave their hanging gardens to two other kids who wanted them. Between the models, painting, and gardening activities, the kids were kept busy.

I hadn’t forgotten about the foreign kids that would be arriving. We started to receive these kids in small groups of 2 or 3 at a time. The FBI, Interpol, and our local police department were very attentive to these kids, recognizing their backgrounds and what had happened to them before arriving in America. I had to develop a list of interpreters to help us communicate. I found that with them interacting with the kids, they were beginning to pick up English. Sometimes I think kids are better instructors than a formal program headed by teachers. They didn’t follow the rules of speaking English, but they were able to communicate.

Over the school year, we took in 56 kids from Europe. Our girl population increased by 20 to a total now of 32 girls. Beth was happy to have so many girls. She was not the only girl anymore. The building was painted, and the new sign was finished and hung outside over the entrance door. I had one made and hung in the dining hall where I had the cabinets. I removed the cabinets I had installed when I first opened Sanctuary and took them to the cook shack where they could be put to better use.

The one thing that I learned, there are no stagnant periods at Sanctuary. We had a birthday every week of the year, and sometimes we would have as high as 15 on the same day. Mom and her friends were very active with the girls, they would have a luncheon, and then the group would break up. The girls had a facial, hair styled, and ended up with clothing that my mom’s designer had selected. The boys were treated to ball games, fishing, and movies. They ended up with sport figures autographs, photos of the fish they caught, and mementos of their day.

Sunday afternoons were Bingo days. The kids became more active, and they exchanged calling the numbers. The older children would check the cards and give out the chips. We continue to have Italian dinners on Saturday and Chinese dinners on Sundays.

Tony moved into 3C and became a full-time partner in Sanctuary. Aaron rented a two-bedroom apartment and had a girlfriend. A recently graduated nurse from the University’s Nursing School showed up, saying Dr. Donnelly sent her. Aaron took her on tour and convinced her to join us as a nurse. I think he had an alternative reason since they started to date about one month after she began to work at Sanctuary.

I walked into the dining hall for breakfast, and Murray and O’Shea were sitting with a young man. I got a cup of coffee and sat down at their table. “Brad, I’d like to introduce Terry Adamski to you. Terry is a linguistic student and would like to work here at Sanctuary.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Terry, but what is a linguistic student?”

“I have a master’s degree in languages; I speak seven different languages and three dialects. Officer Murray told me that you have a multi-language group here.”

I smiled at Murray, “Let me show you around.”

Murray and O’Shea smiled back as they headed to the breakfast line. I told Terry about Sanctuary, showed him the cocoons, the school, the quads, and the bedrooms on the top floor. We did go up on the roof, and he was amazed at the gardens and trees. I explained that the kids maintained this garden. I showed him the apartments in the new building and the lot where Abe was constructing the water tower and the swimming pool.

We ended up in the cook shack, where Mario was getting more food ready for the dining hall. “Let’s go back to the dining hall and have breakfast. After we have eaten, I’ll introduce you to the other staff.”

Going through the line, I explained that the kids could eat as much as they want. Taking our plates and coffee, we sat next to Murray and O’Shea. “Sorry, Brad, we have to leave. Terry, we’ll see you later.”

When they left, “How do you know Officer Murray?”

Terry laughed, “He’s my uncle. When I finished school, I worked for a firm that provided interpretive services. It was fun and interesting initially, but then it became routine, and I lost some of my enthusiasm. I told Uncle Tom that I was getting bored with my job. He said he had a job for me that he thought I could contribute to a great program. It wasn’t until I got here this morning did he tell me about Sanctuary and you. I was a little taking back by the number of kids here, and then he told me that these kids represent an international round-up of Pedos.”

“I know I gave you a rather short tour, but do you have any questions?”

“I have only one. What led you to start Sanctuary, and how is it financed? This must cost a lot of money.”

“That’s true, but it’s ok. I started Sanctuary when I couldn’t stand seeing kids on the streets in rags begging for food. Some of these kids were as young as 7. It wasn’t right, and I took it upon myself to do something about it. I had the support of my mom and dad, so I bought this building with a few close friends, and with the encouragement of my parents and Officers Murray and O’Shea, Sanctuary became a reality. It did cost a lot of money, but every penny was worth it.”

“Uncle Tom said that several government agencies are involved in this project.”

“Yes, our kids come from the local area, the FBI sends them, and now we are getting kids from Interpol. This is a global problem. Kids are being bought and sold, and kids are on the streets everywhere begging for food and selling themselves to be able to eat. This is not a local or American problem; it’s a global problem. Unfortunately, many are ignoring this problem. Have you ever thought that an Einstein or a great author or painter may be on that street with no hope of realizing their future? My staff and I are committed to helping these kids as best as we can. Tony, I want you to meet Terry. He’s considering joining us on this crazy adventure. Terry, Tony is my partner in Sanctuary and our financial wizard.”

“Good to meet you, Terry. Here comes our medical staff, Terry, this is Aaron and Diane, our medical duo. Guys, this is Terry who is considering joining us on this crazy ride called Sanctuary.”

“Terry, it’s nice to meet you. Don’t pay too much attention to Tony. It’s a ride, but it’s full of thrills. This was the best decision I’ve ever made. I’m in for the long haul. Talk to some of these kids, and you’ll cry, but you also know that this is the hope for them.”

“It sounds like you guys are committed to this project.”

I saw Bubba bringing in Sandy, he looked at me, and I held up my cup. He nodded. I saw out of the corner of my eye, Pat heading my way. He sat down beside me and snuggled into my side.

“Are you tired?”

“Yes Dad. I was up late reading.”

“You know, on a school day, you need to go to sleep early. Try and stay awake for school, and later this afternoon, take a nap. Get yourself some breakfast, and maybe that’ll help you keep awake. He squeezed me as I kissed him on his head.”

“Dad, here’s your coffee.”

“Thanks, Bubba.” I gave him a hug and a kiss on his cheek.

“Are these boys your children?”

“Look around the dining hall. Every one of these kids is my children.”

“He’s not kidding, Terry. These kids love him, and he returns that love a hundred times over. Think about it, we have over 300 kids here, and there isn’t one fight, not even harmless spats. All these kids share two things, the same background, and their adopted dad.”

“You can’t believe that amount of love these kids show to us. Brad is looked upon as a savior, but they know that anyone associated with Brad is a person who has their interest in their heart. I’ve never felt so integrated into an organization as I do here. Uncle Tony sometimes jokes a little, but when it comes to the kids, he’s as serious as Brad.”

“Do you all have nicknames? I mean, Brad, you aren’t the father of these kids and Tony, you aren’t their uncle, and yet that’s what they call you.”

“Yes, and Aaron is called Doc, and Diane is called Aunt Diane. In a way, they have created a family.”

“If I were in school studying psychology, this would be an ideal case study.”

“Not to sound bad, but what is it that brought you to Sanctuary.”

Terry chuckled, “My Uncle Tom, who you know as Officer Murray, brought me to Sanctuary. I’m a linguist who has studied different languages. Uncle Tom thought with kids from all over coming here; I could be of some use.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 20
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Chris L said:

Heartwarming chapter full of love, care, and concern .... while also stomach churning that families would sell their children knowing full well the future that's in store for them. I'm not sure who is worse, the families selling or the criminals buying. Nauseating!!! I would starve and die before the thought of selling one of my family members even entered my mind!

Where life has little value, this occurs. I'm sure you are aware of girls being sold into marriage, they call it a dowry 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Leave it to me to come up with annoying questions.The majority of these kids because of their situation horrible parents etc. may have never been introduced to the concept of religion.Brad has spoken of believing in a higher being but other than that there has been no formal discussion on it.I don't want Sanctuary to have a formal religion but if the kids are going to be out in the real world they should know something about this.I guess the school will teach about that .I just think somewhere down the line some kids might approach Brad about being taken to Sunday services.Just a thought

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Leave it to me to come up with annoying questions.The majority of these kids because of their situation horrible parents etc. may have never been introduced to the concept of religion.Brad has spoken of believing in a higher being but other than that there has been no formal discussion on it.I don't want Sanctuary to have a formal religion but if the kids are going to be out in the real world they should know something about this.I guess the school will teach about that .I just think somewhere down the line some kids might approach Brad about being taken to Sunday services.Just a thought

Do you remember the church group in front of there church? I think that had an influence on Brad. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You had me worried for a bit there Cal. The first part of this chapter read like a round-up of story-lines like this story was ending sooner rather than later. I decided this was not the case the closer I got towards the end. Crisis averted :)

I know, it has to end one day. Just not too soon...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter,A new staff member arrived a linguistic. 7 languages he must have a fotogeniek memory.  Well I think he is verry welcome with all the new children 😇😇

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..