Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,848 Words
  • 2,389 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 38. Chapter 38

During the intermission, the boy said his name was Jabir, and he came from the village next to Amir’s. The story was the same. Amir whispered something, and he relaxed and started to enjoy the play. When we’re ready to leave, as the buses pulled up, the boys were grouped into four rows. Andy gave up his seat so Jabir could ride the same bus as Amir. When the buses were all loaded, we headed home.

The timing was perfect. I instructed the boys to change their clothes. I didn’t need to say anything to the girls. They were already heading to their cocoons. I took Jabir with me as Andy and Jeff unloaded Amir and took him to the infirmary.

When everyone was in the dining hall, Tony handed out a souvenir program signed by the Lion King cast. You would have thought they won the lottery. Kindness costs nothing, but it’s worth millions. Adam and Mario had changed and were in the kitchen, getting the food ready for dinner. Mom was still there talking and helping Mrs. Jenkins prepare the meal. When Beth arrived, I told her a new boy with Amir needed to be inducted into Sanctuary. I invited all of the police that provided security on our trip to stay for dinner. Of course, I didn’t need to ask Murray and O’Shea.

Dinner was great, the beef was tender, and the kids enjoyed the meal. All you heard was Lion King this and Lion King that. “Tony has a surprise for you. Besides the programs, he has a DVD of the play and a DVD of the movie.” The kids wanted to play them right then. “You’ll get a chance to see them any time this week. But there is another surprise.”

Adam and Mario brought in this cake that looked like the lion king standing on his stone overlooking his kingdom. It looked so good the kids didn’t want to cut it. “Look, if you don’t want any, then I’m going to throw it away.”

As it turned out, the lion on the stone was plastic, so it became an ornament that had to be posted on the dining room wall. Tony was already on the phone with Abe to get permission to ask one of the carpenters to make a shelf for it.

I went to the car, brought in one box of banks, and then went and got the other box. I didn’t say anything; the kids were dying to know what is in the boxes. Tony sat down at the table and called the youngest boy to come and see him. That was Billy, who was four months younger than Pat.

“Billy, in a family, the parents always gave their children some money each week called an allowance. Sanctuary is your parent, and so you’ll start to receive an allowance of 1 dollar and 50 cents each week on Friday.”

“Billy, to save your money, so you don’t lose it; I have a bank for you. You can put it on the shelf in your cocoon. I also have a key ring with your name and cocoon number on it. On this ring, I’ve put your key to this bank, and you need to put your key to your cocoon on it.”

The other children were called by their age. I gave Pat a little extra to start him off. I pulled him aside and told him it was our secret. He hugged me, with his arm around my neck, he whispered in my ear, “Can I call you dad too?”

I whispered back, “I’d be mad if you didn’t.” I heard the sob and held him a little longer. My brave soldier was really a kid at heart. When he had finished crying, I handed him my handkerchief and kissed him on the cheek.

“Tony, you can continue for a few moments. I need to talk to Andy. Be sure to mention to Adam that I want him to be prepared to take the GED in 3 months. If he needs tutoring, I’ll arrange it. I’m going to enroll him in culinary school as soon as he’s 18.”

I left the area looking for Andy. I found him in the infirmary with Jeff and Amir. “Andy, may I see you for a minute. Come walk with me, I have a favor to ask you, and I want to show you something.”

I entered the dining hall and started to walk up to 3B. As we were walking, “I’d like Adam to pass his GED so he can attend culinary school. He probably will need help, and I’d appreciate it if you would help him.”

Reaching floor 3B,” I’m having a special design quad being built here. My idea is to use this as a stepping stone to a college dorm and independent living. I have one almost done.”

I led Andy to quad number 3B-1, opening the main door; “This area will be a kitchen with a microwave, under the counter refrigerator, a sink, and a small counter. Above the counter will be cabinets, and under the counter next to the refrigerator will be a small cabinet that will contain a drawer for cutlery and microwave cooking utensils. There will be a table here with board seats that fit under the table. On each side, there’ll be two rooms like this one. It’s the only one finished at this time. All of the beds are the same size. The cabinets above the bed are storage for the occupants and have a key. This is a small but adequate bathroom, and there are closets with drawers below them for socks, underwear, and clothes that don’t need to be hung. In this quad, there will be four rooms like this. Altogether there will be several quads on this floor. At the end of the quads, there is a common room with TV, sofas, lounges, small tables for games, a small library, and one room with a kitchenette and bathroom. The single room is for the dorm leader. I want you, instead of paying rent, to be the dorm leader of these quads. You can continue to work and to go to school. When you graduate from college, we’ll discuss what’s next, depending on your interests. You got 5 seconds to think it over.”

“So I get to live here free, have my apartment, and all I have to do is to be sure everything is working fine.”

“Yes, more or less, don’t forget Adam’s GED.”

“Yea, I’ll take it. This is better than I hoped. The cocoons were comfortable, but this is being a little independent. May I have guests over?”

“I’d assume you’ll be respectable. We have some very troubled kids here; I wouldn’t want any wild parties, no sex, and no alcohol. If you want to have a friend or two over, I have no problem. Just use discretion. I’d like to know in case of an emergency. Sanctuary is a haven, and these kids, as you saw tonight are very sensitive. They live with the fear of being abducted or being put back on the street. That’s what I must deal with every day. Making sure they feel safe. There are still kids who wake up in the middle of the night frightened.”

“I understand. I’ll introduce you to my boyfriend, and then I may ask him to stay overnight. Is that a problem?”

“You must be discreet. I need to meet him and get to know him. Then you let me know in advance. I wouldn’t want one of the boys or girls from a quad to walk in on you or see him sneaking out of your room. But let’s set the ground rules after I meet him.”

“When is this room going to be ready?”

“I’ll ask some of the carpenters to work on this room ahead of one of the quads.”

I headed back to the dining hall, and as I walked in, there were my favorite two security people and my partner Tony. Well, he didn’t know it yet, but he’ll agree soon enough. Getting a cup of coffee, “How did it go, partner?”

“Actually, it went better than I thought. None of why does he get more than me actually, they were surprised. You have one more child to deal with.”

“Where is he?”

“Guess, Sandy.”

“Do you have his number and bank?”

“Yes, according to our system, it’s 2 dollars.”

I walked back to the room where Bubba was sleeping, I knocked, and he said, come in.

Entering, “Bubba, I need to talk to you. As your father, I have your allowance. This is your bank, and this is your allowance. I’ll give you 2 dollars a week until your birthday, and then I’ll increase it by 50 cents. How is that?”

He got up off the bed and threw his arms around my neck. “I didn’t think I’d get an allowance since I’m not a Sanctuary boy.”

“Well, Sanctuary can’t give you an allowance that’s why I’m giving you one. The money that Sanctuary has is for the kids, but since you’re my son, you get your allowance from my pocket.”

“But I went to the play today with the kids.”

“Yes, you can join in with them, but I bought your ticket. And on future outings or events, I’ll include you because I’ll pay for them and not Sanctuary.”

“I guess I’m lucky to be your son.”

“Yes, but you’re also lucky you have a mother who loves you. Wasn’t dinner good tonight?”

He smiled. I kissed him on his head, wished him a good night, “Don’t stay up too late.” Scratching Sandy behind the ear, I went back to my coffee.

“Is everything square between you and your son?”

“It couldn’t be better. Any comment on tonight’s event from your friends on the police department?”

“Most of the comments were how well the kids behaved. Some of them knew the boys from when they were on the street, so they were shocked to see them clean and smartly dressed.”

“I’m glad they are good kids. They just got a rotten start. Tony, zoo tickets are next. Do you think we could get them to close the zoo for us, maybe on their least busy day?”

“I’ll try for you, partner.” I thought that comment went over his head, but evidently, it didn’t.

“How’s the kid we brought back with us, what’s his name?”

“Jabir, he’s from the same place as Amir but a different village. Beth signed him in, and Pat took him around on tour,”

“What did you find out about that guy?”

“Evidently he’s some big shot. Your dad is holding him for 24 hours. Jabir told Amir that he has another kid he keeps locked in the basement. He said he had taken dog food for him to eat. Call your dad and tell him, I’ll have someone go over and get a search warrant, and we’ll find that boy if he’s there.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 16
  • Wow 4
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

32 minutes ago, Chris L said:

An amazing time had by all at Lion King. The joy of a child's heart and actions are such a refreshing sight to see! And honestly, I hope that "big shot" is treated exactly the way he treated the boys; Purina for his dinner! 

Not sure how long he will last in jail, Child abuser are not well liked

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. I hope Big Shot gets treated like he treated the kids.

I think big shot don't realize he has a short life cycle

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Why waste on someone like him? Let him starve

If he lives long enough

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter that all thoroughly enjoyed the lion king , plus a new resident , I hope that the "big wig" gets the same treatment as he meeted out. Just the same as all the scum of the earth

  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Besides that if he gets Purina then it would be less for Sandy .No way!!

I don't think we have to worry about what he will get to eat. It won't be healthy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter that all thoroughly enjoyed the lion king , plus a new resident , I hope that the "big wig" gets the same treatment as he meeted out. Just the same as all the scum of the earth

He'll go to jail, broke, more money for Salvation. These people in Jair don't last long

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

GA needs to add either a 'shrug' or a 'm'eh' choice for chapter quick review symbols.

Just when you think things are getting better, some bastard throws a curve ball. Bad enough the 'Big Shot' is buying children like Jabir as slaves, but keeping at least one more locked up (caged?) in his basement and fed dog food!

Not only should Big Shot :devil: be prosecuted to Nth degree, 'persuaded' to provide names of ALL others involved, AND all his assets seized, sold and profits turned over to Sanctuary, authorities should then put him in GenPop so he learns first hand how other prisoners treat child molesters.

 2021 only 3 days in and my ire (and BP) up. :lmao:

Hang in there, retribution is a nasty mother (you can finish that sentence)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Those are pretty awesome after-seeing-the-Lion-King surprises - a signed programme, cake and a money bank. That was a lovely scene with Bubba getting his money bank.

I still have my Lion King programme somewhere, I think? Wasn't signed tho. Must be about 16yrs ago now. I shouted my Cousin for her Birthday. She hated it. Said that when I initially told her I was taking her out she was hoping it wasn't to the Lion King. I was shocked LOL. I loved it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Buz said:

Those are pretty awesome after-seeing-the-Lion-King surprises - a signed programme, cake and a money bank. That was a lovely scene with Bubba getting his money bank.

I still have my Lion King programme somewhere, I think? Wasn't signed tho. Must be about 16yrs ago now. I shouted my Cousin for her Birthday. She hated it. Said that when I initially told her I was taking her out she was hoping it wasn't to the Lion King. I was shocked LOL. I loved it!

Interesting reaction. Did you take her out after that? And before you ask, I wouldn't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, CLJobe said:

Interesting reaction. Did you take her out after that? And before you ask, I wouldn't.

To be honest, I was more shocked than anything. I, obviously, thought taking someone to see the Lion King for their birthday was an awesome idea/treat. She double-pile drove me with that one.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Buz said:

To be honest, I was more shocked than anything. I, obviously, thought taking someone to see the Lion King for their birthday was an awesome idea/treat. She double-pile drove me with that one.

I assumed that was the end of offering her anymore treats

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I assumed that was the end of offering her anymore treats

On the one hand, nah. I can't do that cause she my cuzzie. However, we no longer live in the same country so haven't had opportunity to do so even if I wanted to :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Buz said:

On the one hand, nah. I can't do that cause she my cuzzie. However, we no longer live in the same country so haven't had opportunity to do so even if I wanted to :)

 

Sneaky way to get out of it without hurting anyone's feelings. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Again a so-called big shot abusing and misuse a little boy. Trow him in jail and melt the key and put the  liquid in the keyhole . Thanks for the great chapter I love ❤️ the story. Another boy have joined the family 😇

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..