Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,414 Words
  • 2,328 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 19. Chapter 19

As we were eating at Aldo’s, “Abe, I need to accelerate the carpentry for the 3rd floor. What do you think about putting a team on 3B and 3C? If one team gets finished before the other team, we still have the amenity areas to finish. I want to get the building finished. Then I can concentrate on the outside and enjoy the inside. Tony will have an office in the new office building, how about you do you want one as well?”

“No, I’ll use yours when I need one.” And then he laughed when he saw the look on my face.

“Tony, are all the bills current?”

“Yes, Abe”

“Brad, I’ll talk to the carpenters and see what they can do. Do you have the layout for the classrooms?”

“I’ve hired a school superintendent, gave her the floor plans and the ages of the kids, she was going to put together a plan and room layout. I’ll give her a call, and we can meet tomorrow. What time is best for you?”

“Do it in the afternoon. I have a few meetings in the morning I can’t miss. Say around two would be good.”

“Tony, I need a salary for the teachers. And we haven’t calculated the allowances yet. So can we do that in the morning, if possible?”

Tony nodded his head. Aldo came over to the table with some cookies and Italian coffees. Sitting down, “How’s Mario doing?”

“He’s great. The kids love his cooking, and he has made some great recommendations. We have about 120 kids now, so we need to up the Saturday menu.”

“I’m glad to hear that. I know he felt a little left out since I have been concentrating on teaching Aldo to take over when I retire. Do you still want the leftover pizza?”

“Sure, I’ll have Mario freeze it, and then when we have enough, he can prepare it for lunch, unless Tony eats it first.” Yep, another shoulder shot and a smile.

Paying Aldo for dinner and thanking him for the pizza, he gave us take out for our kitchen, we started to walk back to Sanctuary. We stopped and heard a lot of commotion in front of the building. The security alarm went off, which automatically called the police. Yep, there were our two special police officers, Murray and O’Shea. When Murray saw us, he came over seeing the pizza box I gave it to him.

“What’s happening? Why are all those people outside Sanctuary?”

“They are a group from one of those radical churches. They’re carrying placards saying that this is a place of abomination.”

“What’s the yelling?”

“They are supposedly praying.”

“Don’t they need a permit for that?”

“Yep, any group over ten needs a permit to demonstrate. Want to guess which judge denied them a permit?”

“So, what happens now?”

“The squad car is on its way. They’ll be asked to stop and to go home. If they don’t, they’ll be arrested.” Looking at his watch, “And who do you think the judge will be who’ll hear their plea?”

I thought, good ole dad.

“Abe, Tony, if you want to go home, I’ll be ok.”

“Abe, he doesn’t want to share the entertainment. Too bad, you don’t have a devil’s costume. They could go home smelly.”

The picture that comment drew in my mind had me laughing. I could see them running in fear. “What would be better if Jesus appeared with Angels and told them that they’re going to go to hell and they are an abomination?”

“I doubt they’d believe that even if the real Jesus appeared.”

“Well, it looks like they’re going to argue and not leave.”

We watched as two busses pulled up in front of Sanctuary. The windows were covered in metal, and on the side, the word ‘POLICE’ was painted. The police asked them one more time to leave. When they didn’t, they were handcuffed and led onto the bus. Soon it was quiet. The street was covered with their signs. The police picked them up and took them with the demonstrators. “We’re going to follow them, and I’ll come back to let you know what happened.”

“With that excitement, I’m going home.”

“Come on, Tony, I know you want to hear what my dad does.”

We entered the dining hall, and it was quiet. But there’s quiet, and there’s quiet. Something was going on, indicating for Tony to follow me, we quietly went to 2A. Walking through the aisle of the cocoons, everything looked ok. Going on to 2B, we didn’t have too far to go when we heard voices in one of the toilets. “Just do it. Push his head in the toilet and flush it.”

“No, he didn’t do anything. Untie him and let him go back to his bed.”

“If you don’t do this, I’ll do worse to you.”

Just then, the door flew open as one of the new boys ran into me. When he looked up and saw Tony and me, he started to cry. “I didn’t want to do this, but he said if I didn’t help him, he’d hurt me. He did it before, and I know he’d do it again.”

I hugged the boy, asked him his name, and told him to go back to bed. Tony opened the door, the kid who was tied up was the one that sat on my lap, and the other kid was evidently mean to him at the previous house. Tony took the boy, untied him, and held him. I took the older boy and brought him to the dining hall just as Murray and O’Shea entered. When he saw the cops, he got very cocky. He pulled away from me and yelled, “Help me, he tried to rape me.” Murray and O’Shea just started laughing. I thought they were going to have a breathing problem.

“Kid, you pulled that stunt on the wrong guy.”

Just then, Tony came down with the boy, “He’s scared to go back to his cocoon.”

“I pulled the boy toward me and sat him on my lap. You don’t have to be afraid. The cocoon locks from the inside, and no one can open it from the outside except me. You aren’t afraid of me, are you?”

The kid said, “No.”

I nodded to Tony, who took the kid back upstairs. Bigmouth, “That’s the kid that attacked me.”

Again they laughed, took out a pair of handcuffs, and handcuffed the kid. You would think the kid would shut up by now. But he didn’t, “Oh, so you like to play a little rough, I can do that.”

I had tears in my eyes. When Tony came back down, he asked what was wrong. I told him what happened and what the kid said. “What’s going to happen to that kid? He has gone through hell and now has this streak of brutality. It’s not his fault. It’s the fault of the bastards that did this to him and made him like that.”

Tony and I were still in the dining hall when the doorbell went off. “Sit there. I’ll get it.”

It was Murray and O’Shea, “What’s going to happen to the kid?”

“He’ll be held overnight and then go before a juvenile judge. We came back to tell you what happened at your neighbors trial. Your dad offered two options, 500 hours of community service or a 250 dollar fine and seven days in jail. The preacher, if you wanted to call him that, said he would pay the fine and take the jail time. He has a slight problem, no money. He wanted to pay with a check. Your dad told him it would have to be a certified check. He was sentenced to jail until he paid the fine, and then his seven days would start. The others were given the same option. They took the community service. Do you want to know what was on the list? When O’Shea and I left the courtroom, we checked with the clerk to see what options there were for community service. There was park clean-up, road clean up and service at Sanctuary. So you better come up with some work projects that will last 500 hours.”

“I’m sure they’ll appeal that sentence.”

“They might, but it’ll cost them money, and your dad has quite a few followers. I’m sure they discuss cases among themselves.

I looked at Tony and smiled, “It has been a long, long day. I can’t wait till 3C is finished. The cocoons are ok for the kids and probably adults, but I toss and turn a lot.”

“Is that where you sleep?”

“Sure, you should try it sometime.”

“Maybe I’ll try one tonight.”

So with that, Murray and O’Shea left with an invitation to come for breakfast. I was anxious to show off the buffet; Tony and I climbed the staircase to 2C. “Tony, pick out any cocoon. Don’t be surprised if you come out of your cocoon as a butterfly.”

Sleep didn’t come easy that night. I felt for a failed boy. I could rationalize that I didn’t make him that way, but still, I felt there was something I could do. Eventually, I fell asleep.

The next morning, I followed my usual routine, took some clean clothes and my shaving kit, and went to take a shower. On the way back upstairs, I met Jeff on his way down. “Jeff, after breakfast, can you go and check on the kid at the clinic.” With a nod, he headed toward the shower.

I put my stuff back in my cocoon, put my dirty laundry in the laundry chute, and headed back down to the dining hall. Mario was setting up a four-stage pancake grill. “Where did you get that? I hadn’t ordered anything for the buffet line?”

“Dad gave it to me. We used it for family gatherings. It sat for years in the garage. The last time I saw it in use was when I was six. Dad said, take it, and I did. I’ve been cleaning it since Saturday.”

“I’ll have to thank your dad for this. Do you think you could grill hamburgers or make it like those Japanese restaurants where the chef cuts up the food?”

“Probably some, but I’m not a Japanese chef.”

I watched him set out pans of cut fruit and berries. This definitely will be a treat for the kids. One of the kids who were training to be a cook came in with a pan of sausage. Good morning, Adam. I see Mario has you working.”

“Yep, he had me up at five this morning helping him to carry this monster grill here.”

“I’m sure the kids will like it.”

As I was pouring myself a cup of coffee, Murray and O’Shea walked in. “Hey, looks like you guys are getting professional.”

“Good morning to you also, Murray, O’Shea, help yourself to coffee. If you tell Chef Mario, he’ll fix your pancakes to your liking.”

And they were the first to test out the new system. Mario and Adam smiled as the guys told them how they wanted their pancakes. I was amazed at how many pancakes Mario could make at one time. When Tony finally arrived, he also sampled Mario’s pancake skills. Then one would’ve thought the world ended with all the noise as about 15 kids came up from the basement, showered and ready for the day. “Get your drink, then tell Mario what you want on your pancakes, and Adam will put sausages on your plate. Just remember, what you take, you must eat, and you can always go back for seconds or thirds.” Murray looked at me when I said that. I smiled and nodded my head as well.

Tony stood next to me and watched as the kids came to get their pancakes. Most took 2, but there were a few of the older kids who took 3. As the kids finished, they put their plates and silverware in the tubs. At last, Mario made pancakes for Jeff and me. Sitting together with Tony, Murray, and O’Shea, Jeff brought us up to date on the kid at the clinic.

“Jeff, is he talking?”

“The nurse says no, but he talks to me.”

“Did he tell you his name?”

“Yes, it’s an odd name, Amir.”

“Sounds like a middle eastern name.”

“As soon as he’s able to be moved, we’ll bring him here to our infirmary. I’ll get a hospital bed for him, the food will be better, and he’ll have the company of kids his age.”

“Janine said to give you this.”

I open the folder; it was a list of equipment for the clinic and the suppliers. “Tony, can you get on this and order these supplies. Order the hospital bed first, and make sure it’s a good one. There isn’t an air mattress on this list. Order one with a pump for the hospital bed.”

“I’ll do that as soon as I get back to the office.”

“Thanks. I appreciate your help.” He just smiled and patted me on the back and left.

I had a lot on my mind today. I need to meet with my lawyer and call Mrs. Chester to set up an appointment for this afternoon with Abe. I also need to look for a nurse for the infirmary. Going out to the new office area, I climbed the stairs to the second floor. Looking at the area, I decided to make this floor into an executive office with a smaller office for a secretary. I’ll convert the small office in the dining hall into an area for Beth to use. I’ll probably need a record room, and I could put that on the top floor since it doesn’t need to be large. The other floors will be used by staff. I need to ask Tony which floor he would like and if he needed an assistant.

I wish the 3rd-floor areas were completed. As I looked out of the second-floor window at the lot next to me, I let my mind wander. Should I build more of the small apartments and rent them to single people, or should I turn it into a playground or a garden? The lot wasn’t big, but is there a way I could make it pay for itself and still have it utilized for the kids.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

6 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Protesters dealt with. One boy who tried to hurt others, arrested. Sanctuary getting on well with the plans for each floor.

And we are just beginning. The pastor and his church members are in for a surprise. I wonder if someone put the up to be doing this. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Chris L said:

SMH. How can any organization who presents itself as a follower of GOD protest an institution like Sanctuary? Oh, let me guess, it was the same organization who's "pastor" got arrested in the scum ring that was going on. While I was delighted to see Murray and O'Shea arrest the bully, I feel similar to Brad in that his actions possibly could've been a result of the situation he'd been in. On the other hand, for whatever reason, some just have a bullying mentality throughout life. Whatever the origin, I'm glad Brad allowed tough love by protecting the safety of the many from the one. A clear signal that any harm toward others would not tolerated at Sanctuary.   

I think there is someone behind this. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I'm very interested to see what you have planned for the protesters BTW what did they think was happening?It's sad to hear about cases like the boy who was attacking the other boy you want to hate him but the same thing happened to him it's such a vicious cycle. Are you going to post on Christmas eve and day?Did the lawyer come?

The lawyer hasn't shown up yet.

I wasn't planning on posting on Christmas Day unless there is enough of my readers want to read a posting. I will post in the morning on the 24th.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I'm very interested to see what you have planned for the protesters BTW what did they think was happening?It's sad to hear about cases like the boy who was attacking the other boy you want to hate him but the same thing happened to him it's such a vicious cycle. Are you going to post on Christmas eve and day?Did the lawyer come?

The protesters could have resented Sanctuary coming into the area because they assumed it would attract dubious characters who would cause problems in the area. I’m not completely certain of the area, but I know that is a frequent complaint. You would think they would be happy to see the abandoned warehouse rehabbed and active.  But some people, especially pious, religious bigots can never be satisfied because you do not agree with their view.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

The lawyer hasn't shown up yet.

I wasn't planning on posting on Christmas Day unless there is enough of my readers want to read a posting. I will post in the morning on the 24th.

Take the day off and enjoy Christmas you definitely deserve it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Take the day off and enjoy Christmas you definitely deserve it.

Thank you, I'll do that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

The protesters could have resented Sanctuary coming into the area because they assumed it would attract dubious characters who would cause problems in the area. I’m not completely certain of the area, but I know that is a frequent complaint. You would think they would be happy to see the abandoned warehouse rehabbed and active.  But some people, especially pious, religious bigots can never be satisfied because you do not agree with their view.

You're right. They see evil where there isn't any.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Plans continue to move forward, and I think the finished product will be pretty amazing! Brad has a good heart and is smart to surround himself with smart, caring people that are helping to make his dream a reality! Is Sanctuary based on a real place,  or is it a product of your creative mind? 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

You always seem to have idiots who proclaim to be Christian but are anything but, more for self enrichment than anything else, here they were set up ,by who is no doubt going to come out of the woodwork and the sh@t is going to hit the fan, bullies are bullies who fall into two categories, 1 being they are insecure about themselves and need to hit out at others  and 2 some are just evil 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Plans continue to move forward, and I think the finished product will be pretty amazing! Brad has a good heart and is smart to surround himself with smart, caring people that are helping to make his dream a reality! Is Sanctuary based on a real place,  or is it a product of your creative mind? 

I wish it was a real place, but it is a product of my mind. I wish I had the resources to create a p[lace like this.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

You always seem to have idiots who proclaim to be Christian but are anything but, more for self enrichment than anything else, here they were set up ,by who is no doubt going to come out of the woodwork and the sh@t is going to hit the fan, bullies are bullies who fall into two categories, 1 being they are insecure about themselves and need to hit out at others  and 2 some are just evil 

 

I find that bullies, and people who look for support to allow them to feel better than other people are really very insecure. They need some handle to say 'I'm better than you'. Unfortunately there are churches like the one in front of Sanctuary that fulfill that need.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, CLJobe said:

You're right. They see evil where there isn't any.

And they don't see evil where there is - in the frikkin mirror.

I am not a religious person, by any stretch of the imagination really, but it annoys the "bleep" out of me when people weaponize and abuse religion/scripture to justify hate in all its forms. 

We have the ability to learn, to see, to deduce, to touch, to enjoy, to feel, to understand, to smell, to love, to accept, etc. Why are we so "enter your own bad word here!"

Okay. Me to self - "Step away from the Soap Box. Two steps down, then move away slowly..."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

And they don't see evil where there is - in the frikkin mirror.

I am not a religious person, by any stretch of the imagination really, but it annoys the "bleep" out of me when people weaponize and abuse religion/scripture to justify hate in all its forms. 

We have the ability to learn, to see, to deduce, to touch, to enjoy, to feel, to understand, to smell, to love, to accept, etc. Why are we so "enter your own bad word here!"

Okay. Me to self - "Step away from the Soap Box. Two steps down, then move away slowly..."

There is a need in some people for self-justification. They need something that they can hang on to in order to feel important. We see it all the time, people who take abnormal stands, looking for the write up- in the newspaper. Seef importance to those who are in the back row, will do anything and everything top get a chance to move toward the front row. And it does'[t matter how despicable the act is 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..