Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,092 Words
  • 2,377 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 14. Chapter 14

I invited Tony and Abe to go with me to Aldo’s for dinner. I wanted to get their feedback on the meeting and discuss a few other plans.

As soon as we sat down, Aldo came over to chat. “Mario tells me your kitchen is almost done.”

“Not quite, but it’s coming along. I now need to hire a cook, Mrs. Jenkins has assumed the position of Head Cook, but her job will be planning, ordering, and training. I could use a cook to help with cooking and training. Do you know anyone?” What Aldo didn’t know was that Mario asked about the job.

“What kind of cook do you want, a professional or someone who knows how to cook something and needs to learn more.”

“I don’t want a chef from some culinary school. I want a good old fashion home cooking cook. The kids will never appreciate fancy cooking.”

Aldo took our orders and went into the back room. He returned with a large platter of spaghetti and meatballs. The smell went right to my stomach. As soon as the plates were placed, it was like a mad rush to get some. Mario came out with garlic bread. I swallowed my mouthful of spaghetti, “How are you doing, Mario? This food is fantastic. I think your dad should deliver this for Saturday’s dinner.”

“Did he ask you about you hiring a cook?”

“Yes, I told him I wanted to cook and not a chef. Did he say anything to you when he went in the back room?”

“No, just that you were here.”

“How do you think we should approach this? I could ask you if you knew anyone, and then you can approach your dad. Do you want to try that?”

“What can I lose? Wow, you guys really liked that spaghetti?”

“It’s delicious, and the sauce is the best part. Who cooked the sauce?”

“It is an old family recipe. My grandmother taught me, and I follow it to a tee.”

“Well, you got to come and work for me even if I have to buy this pizzeria. Go and tell your dad that I want enough soup and sandwiches for 110 people to be served at 1 pm. And at 6 pm, I want spaghetti and meatballs for 120 people. I want some extra the next day, for me.”

“How are you going to keep it? Your refrigerators are too small.”

“Not the ones in the cook shack.”

“You got the fridges up and running?”

“As of today, they are cooling to temperature as we speak.”

“I’m going to ask my dad if he throws me out, you’re going to have to adopt me.”

Tony and Abe were listening to our conversation. I wondered why they didn’t say anything until I looked at the bowl of spaghetti. There was only one serving left, and the way they were eyeing it, I better get it and fast.

I watched Mario and his dad head for the back room. I listened to see if I could hear anything, like a yell or a scream. But nothing, then Mario came out and was smiling. “That must have gone well. It looks like you have a cook, Brad.”

I didn’t want to push the button, so I paid our bill, took a doggie bag, and kept slapping Abe’s and Tony’s hands away.

When we entered the dining hall, everyone looked nervous. “Jeff, what’s going on?”

“The police showed up and said they were looking for a kid who stabbed a man on Main Street. They are up on the second floor now.”

“Where have they looked so far?”

“They finished the basement, and now they are on the second floor.”

“Ok, the next time, I’ll give you a cell phone, so you can contact me if this happens again. Have all the boys been counted, anyone missing?”

“No. according to Beth’s roster, they are all here and have been all night. The back door is locked, and the only way out or in is through the front door.”

“I took out my phone, called my dad, and then called Officer Murray. In five minutes, I heard the siren, and so did our visitors. They came running down the stairs, Jeff put his foot out, and they tripped and fell on their faces. By this time, Officers Murray and O’Shea showed up.

“Officer Murray, it’s good to see you again. These officers indicated that they were looking for a kid with one of our shirts who killed a man on Main Street.”

As the men started to rise, Officer Murray flipped a handcuff on the man as Officer O’Shea did the same to the other man. “These men aren’t police officers; they are both wanted for selling drugs and using kids to deliver it. I suspect they lost their kid and thought he might be here.”

“Well, Officers, it seems to me you deserve a recommendation.” Just then, dad showed up.

“Officer Murray and Officer O’Shea, this is my father, Dan Williams.”

“How are you, Judge Williams, sorry to have to meet you under these circumstances, but we have breaking and entering, posing as a police officer, unauthorized search, and a wanted poster for selling drugs.”

“Well, gentlemen, I guess I’ll see you in court.”

“Dad, when did you become a judge?”

“About two weeks ago, you’re so busy with this project we hardly see you.”

“I know, and I feel bad about that. You’ve always been my sounding board. But you’re right, this place takes up a lot of my time, but I love it. Look at these kids. A few months ago, they were sick, skinny, hungry, and had haunted eyes. Look at them now, and they are no longer sick, they have put weight on, they’re not hungry, and have a safe place to sleep. I know I’ve missed a lot of dinners with you and mom, but this is where my heart is and where I want to be. I hope you can understand that.”

“We do, and we’re very proud of what you’re doing. These kids look at you with love in their eyes. What more could a man want. Your mom and I consider every one of them as our grandchildren.”

I looked at my dad with tears in my eyes; I was so lucky to have this man in my life, hugging him, “I love you, Dad.”

Well, I’ve got to go. I have an arraignment to attend. Winking at me, Dad left.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 19
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Exactly what I was thinking as well. With this many kiddos being protected, security needs to be a priority to prevent this type of scum from preying on them in the future. Absolutely sickening! While saying that, also so elated at the progression of Sanctuary from where it started to the numerous lives - young and old - that it's impacting in such a positive way. ❤️

  • Like 5
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Exactly what I was thinking as well. With this many kiddos being protected, security needs to be a priority to prevent this type of scum from preying on them in the future. Absolutely sickening! While saying that, also so elated at the progression of Sanctuary from where it started to the numerous lives - young and old - that it's impacting in such a positive way. ❤️

Thanks,. Chris. Even with all of help, it will still be a challenge for Brad and his friends. I don't think Brad had any idea of how many kids he would help when he started. It looked like he was more into the idea, and so far he has proven the need for Sanctuary.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

You're driving up my kleenex, TP and even paper towel costs with chapters like this good one, Cal. Keep up the good work! :read:

I don't have 'Net' subscribed mind- numbing / entertainment escapes. During the last 9 months of varying lock downs, online reading has become a godsend.  :thumbup:

Now facing another VERY restricted 28 days starting on what is now being called 'Lockdown Eve':lmao: at 12:01 a.m. on 24th. Adding insult to injury, weather forecast is 2+ days of freezing rain, 12+ inch of snow. Oh and of course 'mysterious' appearance of VERY RAPIDLY spreading 'R' mutation of C-19 following same flight path of original 'wet market' flu. :devil:

What I'm trying to say Cal is that your (and a few other) stories helped me get through so far, so (no pressure) please write more. You're Santa in disguise or at least one of his best elves! :wizard:

Thank you, Enjoy your holidays however you spend them (Merry Christmas). Stay Safe, 6', 2m or 4 cases of wine/beer apart, and #WearTheMask.

Tony

  • Like 5
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

You're driving up my kleenex, TP and even paper towel costs with chapters like this good one, Cal. Keep up the good work! :read:

I don't have 'Net' subscribed mind- numbing / entertainment escapes. During the last 9 months of varying lock downs, online reading has become a godsend.  :thumbup:

Now facing another VERY restricted 28 days starting on what is now being called 'Lockdown Eve':lmao: at 12:01 a.m. on 24th. Adding insult to injury, weather forecast is 2+ days of freezing rain, 12+ inch of snow. Oh and of course 'mysterious' appearance of VERY RAPIDLY spreading 'R' mutation of C-19 following same flight path of original 'wet market' flu. :devil:

What I'm trying to say Cal is that your (and a few other) stories helped me get through so far, so (no pressure) please write more. You're Santa in disguise or at least one of his best elves! :wizard:

Thank you, Enjoy your holidays however you spend them (Merry Christmas). Stay Safe, 6', 2m or 4 cases of wine/beer apart, and #WearTheMask.

Tony

Thanks Tony, as sad as the times may be, be of good cheer. Hope is on the way. We have two vaccines approved and I think we will have more. Christmas will be lonely for me, just the two of us, caretaker and me along with one dog. 

Crack open a bottle of wine on Christmas Eve, I'll join you, in spirit, with my wine. Stay well. 

Oh, I think you'll need more tissues,. Chapter 15 is up. That one got to me when I wrote it .

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

Thanks Tony, as sad as the times may be, be of good cheer. Hope is on the way. We have two vaccines approved and I think we will have more. Christmas will be lonely for me, just the two of us, caretaker and me along with one dog. 

Crack open a bottle of wine on Christmas Eve, I'll join you, in spirit, with my wine. Stay well. 

Oh, I think you'll need more tissues,. Chapter 15 is up. That one got to me when I wrote it .

I hate to be one of those people that just barge in and invite themselves, but...

Name a time on Christmas Eve and I will have a glass with y'all as well. I am lucky in that your Christmas Eve is our Christmas Day. I need to know what state you're in as well so I can get the time zone correct NZTime.

I think that would be cool!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Buz said:

I hate to be one of those people that just barge in and invite themselves, but...

Name a time on Christmas Eve and I will have a glass with y'all as well. I am lucky in that your Christmas Eve is our Christmas Day. I need to know what state you're in as well so I can get the time zone correct NZTime.

I think that would be cool!

You are on, I live in Columbus, Ohio. That is Eastern Time Zone. I'll have a glass of wine with my dinner which will be at 4 PM. My email is calvinjobe@gmail.com

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..