Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,839 Words
  • 2,385 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 27. Chapter 27

When morning came, I sleepily went and took a shower, shaved, and tried to open my eyes. Jeff was in the dining room, putting together a tray for Amir and himself. I looked at the time, and it was 9:30. I couldn't believe I slept that long or slept that late was more like it.

I grabbed a cup of coffee, toast, and jam was placed in front of me. I turned to see who it was; there was Murray with a big smile. "Where is O'Shea?

"He had an errand to run. I'll pick him up later today. How are you feeling?"

"In some ways happy, in some ways angry and in some ways, very sleepy Today is a light day. Janine is coming this morning to check on Amir, I have to take Bubba to see his dog at two, and I need to make a run to a gadget store to pick up almost 200 banks. The kids start earning an allowance next week. It's a surprise I'll tell them after the show."

"How are you going to get almost 200 kids to the show?"

"Buses, I probably have enough with my buses but no drivers. I could drive one, but I need at least three more drivers. Then I thought of two chaperones per bus to help protect the kids and guide them into the theater. I just had a thought, do you know any off-duty police officers who could do that? I'll pay them for their time."

"I'll check around. What time is the show?"

"It's a matinee that starts at 1:30 and is over at 3:30. I'm going to need space to park the buses and three more drivers."

"I could drive one. O'Shea can be one of the chaperones."

"Once the buses are parked, we could all be chaperones. I'll have Tony drive one. That'll mean I'll only need one more driver and three chaperones. Do you think you could help with that? It would help with security as well."

"I'll get back with you tomorrow. Eat your breakfast."

"Jeff, round up the girls. I want the shoe size of every kid and pant size. When we go to the show, I want the kids to look spiffy, like a private school."

"Why not uniforms like a private school?"

"Why don't you call around and see who can supply 200 uniforms on short notice. We would have to pick them up Monday morning. I still need the girls."

"What's all the excitement about?"

"I told you about the 44 boys we picked up yesterday, well early this morning, we got ten more. Tell me you got the extra tickets."

"Yes, we did. I bought 225 seats."

"That is great. I hope your back is strong. We'll have to carry Amir up those steps. I'll give you a choice, A) you pick up 200 savings banks or B) you take Bubba to see his dog. What's your choice?"

"I'll take B. What time can we see the dog?"

"He can see him anytime after 2."

"Does he know that?"

"Unfortunately, he does."

"I've changed my mind. I'll take A.

"Well, that isn't going to be easier. There are seven stores in the whole city that handles a cash register saving bank. I don't think you will find 200 in one store. But hey, if you want that, it's ok with me."

"No, I'll stick to B."

"They said after two, but 2:30 is a better time. I'll tell him at 2:30. Then you can stop and get a collar, leash, water, and a food dish. We'll need some dog food; you can ask the vet for a recommendation. I'll tell Bubba that you'll take him and then stop on the way back to pick-up dog food. If he wants to do it beforehand, say you want the doctor to recommend what's best for the dog. Tell him to think about a name. I think you can buy a tag with Bubba's name and address on it."

Jeff rushed in, "I found several places, but they say they'll need to make measurements."

"Call them back and ask them if they had the measurements this morning; how many uniforms could they provide by Monday morning? Then ask them to send someone to Sanctuary to take the measurements. Where's Beth?"

"Probably still sleeping."

"After Janine gets here, I'll head out and get the banks and, depending on what Janine says, either crutches or a wheelchair. I also need to check with my dad, so I'll either stop at home or his office. I wish Abe could speed up the 3rd floor. I might stop at a furniture store and negotiate a price discount, and if not, I'll go online and buy it. I've got to start tying up loose ends."

"Brad, none of the clothing stores I contacted said they could guarantee uniforms for Monday. What do you want me to do?"

"I think we'll have to give up the idea of uniforms for Monday. Did any of the stores you contacted seem like they had an interest?"

"Not really. They said they would come and do it, but they weren't very enthusiastic about it."

"Ok, we'll go in black pants, white shirts with black ties. I'll see if I can get my mother to help.

Get Beth, she can get the roster, and we can record sizes."

Calling my mom, I more or less organized my day. I'll wait for Janine before I head out to pick up the banks, then I'll check with dad about the lawsuit and call Abe about speeding up the 3rd floor.

This was going to be a hectic day, "Mom, I have a problem and need your help. We're going to see Lion King on Monday afternoon, and I thought it'd be nice to have everyone dressed the same. We tried to get school uniforms, but the timing was too short. I wondered if you could help me get the kids' sizes and then we could go shopping to buy the outfits, black pants, white shirts with black ties. That sounds ok but what color ties do you recommend, remember we'll need about 200 of them. We're close. As of today, there are 188. That's great, can they come this afternoon. The earlier, the better, come at 12 and have lunch with the kids. I'll see you all then. Love you, Mom, bye."

Now I need to find Jeff and Beth. I also want to check on Amir, "Tony, what are you doing here so early? You're still planning on taking Bubba to the vets, right?"

"You're beginning to look like you need a 'calm' pill, calm down. Yes, I'm still going to take Bubba to the vet. I came to bring you up to date on the parking. For an appropriate donation to the police fund, they'll rope off the entrance as if you were movie stars; they'll drive the buses after the kids are off to a safe parking place and bring them back at the end of the show."

"Tony, that's great, you've taken that load off my back, and I appreciate it. Mom is coming over with a couple of women from her club and two seamstresses to take the kids' measurements. We couldn't get school uniforms on time, but I'll order them for the next trip. I've invited them for lunch, so walk with me to the cook shack, and let's see what's on the menu."

As we approached the cook shack, I saw Bubba running to catch us, "Dad, we're going to the vet to see my dog today, right?"

"Bubba, I'm sorry I can't go, but Uncle Tony will take you, and then on the way back, he'll take you to a pet store so you can buy dog food and everything else you'll need, including a cocoon for him. Is that ok with you?"

"I wished you could go with me, but I guess it's ok with Uncle Tony."

I ruffled his hair, "Go and check on Amir for me, ok?"

Smiling, he was off. "Since when did I become Uncle Tony?"

"When I became dad."

Tony started to laugh, "Watch before Monday. You'll be called dad by more than Bubba."

"Hold your tongue. Let's check today's lunch menu."

We were walking into the shack, "What smells so good? Mario, we'll be having some special guests for lunch today. What's on the menu?"

"We're making vegetable beef soup and grilled chicken sandwiches. Is that ok, or do I need to make something special for the guests?"

"No, your menu sounds fine, and if what I smell is the vegetable soup, I can't wait to try it."

"I need to check on Amir. I'm waiting for Janine, so I'll know if I need to buy crutches or a wheelchair."

"Amir, how are you feeling today? Uncle Tony and I would like to see you out of that bed. Has Bubba told you about his dog?"

"Yes, he can't stop talking about it. I like dogs, and there was one in my neighborhood. All of the kids like to play with him?"

"Why the sad face?"

"I just remembered I didn't see him to say goodbye. Do you think Bubba will let me play with his dog?"

"I have a funny feeling; Bubba's dog is going to be everyone's dog. I'm sure he'll let you play with him."

"Brad, here comes Janine."

"Good morning Janine. I wasn't expecting you until after lunchtime."

"It was a little slow at the clinic, so I thought I'd give this young man his check-up. How are you feeling? Would you like to try and stand up?"

He nodded yes, "Please, but what if I can't. I'll fall."

"I'll help you, Amir. If I see that you're going to fall, I'll catch you."

Janine removed the covers, turned him to face her, and put his arms around her neck. As she stood up, she gradually lifted Amir to his feet. When he let go of her, he became a little shaky and sat back down very quickly.

"That's very good, the next time you'll know what to expect, and you'll be steadier on your feet. Brad, he should be helped to stand at least twice a day. I'd expect each time he stands, it'll be a little longer until he can stand for 1 hour by himself. Then I think we can discharge him from the infirmary."

"What do you think about that, Amir?"

He just grinned. Janine continued to exam his bruises and rewrapped his ribs.

"Janine, Monday we're going to see Lion King. Should I get a wheelchair or crutches?"

"I think at this stage of his recovery, a wheelchair. If you don't want to buy one, you can rent them."

Janine finished with checking Amir and left. "Tony,"

"Stop, I know what you're going to say."

"Excellent, now you can read my mind, and I don't have to tell you anymore. Progress, Tony, progress."

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 16
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

56 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Brad is going into overload with organising everything. The Lion King will be great for the boys. Bubb is looking forward to seeing his Dog and Amir is getting better by the day.

I think being around the boys helps.; Jeff has taken an interest in getting Amir healed. I think all;l of the boys will welcome Amir.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

With the number of kids at Sanctuary, you know there will be injuries at some time in the future, some more severe than others.  A wheelchair in the infirmary would not be remiss.  Buy it.  For that matter, also buy a set or two of adjustable crutches for the inevitable sprains that will be coming along. Amir will be graduating to crutches shortly as he gets stronger, anyway.

 

Agree 100% ! and money is no object. lol

Edited by Tonyr
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Another very good chapter, although Brad's starting to fray around the edges a bit. When he repeats about just getting 3rd Floor done, or his Dad going after the money, those can be signs of exhaustion, both physical and emotional burnout :lmao:. A matinee of Lion King is a break, but not R&R.

He's using his Dad as judge to go after the evil guys :devil:, BUT (and it's a big but), if it comes before him, he has to recuse himself. Even IF the defendant's lawyers don't make the connection between father and son, Brad's Dad is on Board and a contributor. Those could get cases dismissed and bad guys free.

As things ramp up towards a trial, bad people are going to try and get rid of witnesses, (the boys). School uniforms (with 'Sanctuary' name sewn on) makes them too easy to target. Outfits similar to other nearby schools would help them blend in.

"200 savings banks" (piggy banks?) for the children to put their 'allowance' into? Unless they really grab all the bad guys bank accounts, where's this money coming from that flowing out of Brad's hands? MegaPowerMillionLottery? :wizard: Brad saying: "...money was never a worry for me. I guess I was one of the rich kids who never had to worry...", unless his Dad bought $100,000 of Microsoft at its 1986 $14.90 IPO and hung on to it all through ALL subsequent stock splits, etc now worth $160Million. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: x 1000

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 3
Link to comment

For some reason, with this chapter, I got the hint / impression Murray and O'Shea may be partners in life as well as partners on the police force. Maybe not but the thought was there the way it was written.   

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

With the number of kids at Sanctuary, you know there will be injuries at some time in the future, some more severe than others.  A wheelchair in the infirmary would not be remiss.  Buy it.  For that matter, also buy a set or two of adjustable crutches for the inevitable sprains that will be coming along. Amir will be graduating to crutches shortly as he gets stronger, anyway.

I think he will buyl it. It would be unusual; for Brad to not buy anything that has a potential use.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Tonyr said:

 

Agree 100% ! and money is no object. lol

You are right so said Brad

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Another very good chapter, although Brad's starting to fray around the edges a bit. When he repeats about just getting 3rd Floor done, or his Dad going after the money, those can be signs of exhaustion, both physical and emotional burnout :lmao:. A matinee of Lion King is a break, but not R&R.

He's using his Dad as judge to go after the evil guys :devil:, BUT (and it's a big but), if it comes before him, he has to recuse himself. Even IF the defendant's lawyers don't make the connection between father and son, Brad's Dad is on Board and a contributor. Those could get cases dismissed and bad guys free.

As things ramp up towards a trial, bad people are going to try and get rid of witnesses, (the boys). School uniforms (with 'Sanctuary' name sewn on) makes them too easy to target. Outfits similar to other nearby schools would help them blend in.

"200 savings banks" (piggy banks?) for the children to put their 'allowance' into? Unless they really grab all the bad guys bank accounts, where's this money coming from that flowing out of Brad's hands? MegaPowerMillionLottery? :wizard: Brad saying: "...money was never a worry for me. I guess I was one of the rich kids who never had to worry...", unless his Dad bought $100,000 of Microsoft at its 1986 $14.90 IPO and hung on to it all through ALL subsequent stock splits, etc now worth $160Million. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: x 1000

Brad is using his trust fund, which evidently was started at an early age. Brad is an only child of an affluent family. You are correct, in realnlife, Brad's father would have tp erewcuse himself. But in my story he has recuse himself from the penalty, ie. law suit to recover money. However, he has friends who are in agreement with what Brad is doing, and they presid over the law suits.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

For some reason, with this chapter, I got the hint / impression Murray and O'Shea may be partners in life as well as partners on the police force. Maybe not but the thought was there the way it was written.   

They are very good friends. You will meet their wives soon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I was surprised Brad didn't comment about someone going out and buying a wheelchair straight away. It seems to be his modus operandi.

I apologise, by I must have that particular gene - the black pants, white shirts and black ties sound hideous. Okay. So maybe not hideous exactly. Even the idea of school uniform type outfits was not great.

How about all white runners, khaki chinos, tan belts, white long sleeved button downs. If the option is required, khaki woven utility twill mini skirts (from Cotton On) could replace the chinos.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Buz said:

I was surprised Brad didn't comment about someone going out and buying a wheelchair straight away. It seems to be his modus operandi.

I apologise, by I must have that particular gene - the black pants, white shirts and black ties sound hideous. Okay. So maybe not hideous exactly. Even the idea of school uniform type outfits was not great.

How about all white runners, khaki chinos, tan belts, white long sleeved button downs. If the option is required, khaki woven utility twill mini skirts (from Cotton On) could replace the chinos.

When you shop for approx. 200 kids, you pick what is easy to get on a short notice. Black pants and white shirts are the must common colors. Every clothing store carries those items.  Brad didn't want flashy clothes, he knew he would be drawing attention and he wanted them to look like they are from a private school. I doubt a private school in NZ would use a contemporary clothing style.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

When you shop for approx. 200 kids, you pick what is easy to get on a short notice. Black pants and white shirts are the must common colors. Every clothing store carries those items.  Brad didn't want flashy clothes, he knew he would be drawing attention and he wanted them to look like they are from a private school. I doubt a private school in NZ would use a contemporary clothing style.

I understand the 'easy to get'. However, my shirt is the same as your shirt. Whilst black pants are more common, khaki chinos are hardly rare. The same with all white runners.

Brad didn't want them to be flashy, yet he wants them to look they are from a Private School and wear a black tie.

Why would he want them to look like a Private School? They are not a Private School.

Chinos are hardly contemporary. The original khaki chinos are over 170 years old.

If Brad really wants them to look like they are from a Private School, then he wouldn't be able to do it time e.g. all Private Schools I know of wear blazers. The school I went to was Public but even we had blazers if the occasion required. With our school colours, the blazers were pale blue with thin yellow/gold stripes with a red-tongued rampant golden lion and school motto on the breast pocket. Then of course there were the school ties. nb: the school blazers have since been changed. It is also now co-ed. I can't imagine that. I am glad I went when I did when it was Boys only.

Toe-mate-o, toe-mart-o. I agree to disagree :)

The Kids are going to have a ball, that is all that matters. Has anyone checked to see if all the Kids have even seen Lion King? I think they should definitely watch the video before going to the show. I think they would get more out of the live musical if they did that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Buz said:

I understand the 'easy to get'. However, my shirt is the same as your shirt. Whilst black pants are more common, khaki chinos are hardly rare. The same with all white runners.

Brad didn't want them to be flashy, yet he wants them to look they are from a Private School and wear a black tie.

Why would he want them to look like a Private School? They are not a Private School.

Chinos are hardly contemporary. The original khaki chinos are over 170 years old.

If Brad really wants them to look like they are from a Private School, then he wouldn't be able to do it time e.g. all Private Schools I know of wear blazers. The school I went to was Public but even we had blazers if the occasion required. With our school colours, the blazers were pale blue with thin yellow/gold stripes with a red-tongued rampant golden lion and school motto on the breast pocket. Then of course there were the school ties. nb: the school blazers have since been changed. It is also now co-ed. I can't imagine that. I am glad I went when I did when it was Boys only.

Toe-mate-o, toe-mart-o. I agree to disagree :)

The Kids are going to have a ball, that is all that matters. Has anyone checked to see if all the Kids have even seen Lion King? I think they should definitely watch the video before going to the show. I think they would get more out of the live musical if they did that.

You have the right to disagree or agree, I respect that right and you are still a brother. 😘

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have a feeling there may be additional dogs show up at Sanctuary after Bubba gets his rescue there. 

Great story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..