Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 815 Words
  • 2,564 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 5. Chapter 5

I ordered two pizzas for delivery and waited for the children to come upstairs. The delivery came before they were finished showering. I think the smell of the pizza made them hurry and finish.

They knew about the vending machine. Pat must have told them. With their drinks, they sat and ate their pizza. As we chatted, they told me their story. Their parents had died from an accident, hit and run, rather than take the chance of being separated, they ran away. I asked them what their names were. The young man said his name was Jeff and his sister’s Beth.

“What can we do to be able to stay here? The outside isn’t good for my sister, and I’m running out of money.”

“You both can stay here, but I don’t want your money, provided you stay drug-free. You can stay here and pay for it by doing chores. For example, you can take charge of the shower area for boys, and your sister can take charge of the girls’ area. Those areas must be kept clean and properly sanitized to prevent a buildup of fungus. The toilet area will need to be cleaned daily, as well. As more boys and girls come, duties will change. Does that sound fair to both of you?”

Jeff shook his head yes, “I need to go and get the rest of our clothes. I’ll be right back.”

“Beth, while your brother is gone, could you help me?”

She nodded her head, yes. I gave her a sheet of paper and a pencil, explaining I wanted to know each of our guests.” Put Pat Casey on the first line, your name, and Jeff’s on the second and third line. If more people come in, I’ll send them over to you, and you can add their names to the list.

I was amazed at the number of kids that came that day. I kept ordering pizza for them. The delivery boy asked why so many pizza’s. I explained what Sanctuary was all about, and until I was able to set up a kitchen, I had to order pizza.

It was 5 when Pat returned. I thanked him for getting the word out; he said he was glad to do it. He told me how some guy was trying to pick up one of the boys for sex. I told him I knew of a place where he could go that didn’t require sex. The man was angry, but the kid decided to follow me. “He’s that blond kid over there eating pizza.”

“Pat you did a good job today. Do you think you could get those kids over to Beth, she’s sitting over there, I’ve asked her to record the names of each kid that comes to Sanctuary?”

Looking over the small crowd, I called everyone’s attention. They quieted down, “This place is called Sanctuary. It’s meant to be a safe place for you, but there are some rules. If you want to be here, the rules are simple. No drugs, no smoking, no stealing, no alcohol, no fighting; if you can abide by these rules, you’ll be welcome here anytime. The doors are locked at nine and reopened at seven. If you wish to enter after nine, ring the bell, and someone will let you in. This place is meant to be a safe place, and you can help make it a safe place. If you want to take a shower, Jeff will show you where to go. If you’re going to spend the night, you’ll have to sleep here in the dining hall until the bedrooms are finished. If you have any questions, I’ll answer them for you. Do any of you have any problems with these rules?”

One boy raised his hand, “If I get a part-time job, must I pay to stay here?” “No”

There were no more questions. “Those who want a shower follow me.”

Most of the boys followed Jeff. “Pat, go over there with Beth. If a person is staying the night, mark it on the sheet. As soon as the cocoons are ready, you can show them how they work, and between you and Beth, you can assign them to a cocoon.”

I placed one of those large laundry carts as they use at hotels at the end of the stairwell to the second floor. Pat took a look, and he knew exactly the purpose of the cart. It was apparent I was going to need more help. “Pat can you also ask the ages of our guests? We are going to need more help. I’ll see if the older ones want to help before we select from the younger group.”

When I locked that door that night, it felt strange. I had a small bedroom I carved out of the first floor. And that’s where I slept.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 18
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, Buz said:

This is so heart-warming. Even more than your other stories. Not sure exactly why this one seems different/better even?

Thanks, But. Maybe because it is a story that builds

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, weinerdog said:

 When I think of kids on the street I think of parents kicking kids out or an abusive situation the kid is trying to get away from I have to confess I didn't think of siblings who don't want to be separated. Really there should be a way for CPS to make sure siblings don't get separated

Yes I agree but in many cases there aren't enough foster homes and in some cases Child Services are opinionated about how qualifies as a foster home. Bigotry is also seen in the work place which includes government services  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

'As they find Sanctuary, an angel will watch over them'.

Regardless of personal beliefs, (or none at all),  people often refer to 'Guardian Angels' to reference someone who's looking out for others, whether directly or indirectly. And while we could all use such a being once in a while, especially in time of pandemic, perhaps they are there but we can't see them for what they are.   

“Angels around us, angels beside us, angels within us. Angels are watching over you when times are good or stressed. And when needed, hopefully their wings wrap gently around you, as a shield”

So far in this story Brad is Pat's angel. Jeff and his sister Beth's 'Better Angels' may be their late parents helping to guide them towards young Pat and Sanctuary, as he becomes a guiding 'angel' without knowing it. 0:)

Or, I'm overtired and this is all just wishful thinking?

So looking forward CL to coming chapters. (maybe one a day until... 25th?). Sorry Santa, my list just got longer. :whistle:

Angels aren't necessarily in Heaven. Angels are as close to you as you let them be. "You're an Angel" we have heard people say when someone has come to their aid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Crazy good. Chapter, his rules are easy but good however I think some will be harder to maintain, 

We shall see. If you are on the street, i.e.Pat, you would do everything to be allowed to be a member of Sanctuary 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Five chapters in one sitting, and this story is off to a great start! I look forward to seeing how Brad continues to complete his project. This is a heartwarming story! Thanks. 

You are welcome. There ae quite a few chapters yet ton be posted. Just remember 'even heaven has it's hell'

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Sanctuary is happening for these kids.

Yes, and the word is out

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..