Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,645 Words
  • 2,261 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 44. Chapter 44

The morning came too early, but I was feeling better. The boy was awake, and I felt a huge worry float away. After showering and shaving, I headed to the dining hall for coffee. I noticed Bubba walking in with Sandy. He saw me and waved. I waved back. I went to get a second cup of coffee when Murray and O’Shea arrived. “Get coffee guys, we’re a little early for breakfast, but it should be here in 15 minutes.”

Murray gave me the newspaper as they went to get their coffees. “Murray, what’s this all about?” I showed him the headlines.

“That is where we were last night after we dropped you off. There was an attempted burglary at a certain house that had a basement. We got the guys, and as a result, we got some files they were carrying. They are now at the DA’s office.”

I didn’t need to ask anymore. I knew what he was referring to when he mentioned the basement. Our friend is still trying to erase incriminating evidence.

“I need to get Jabir and take him to the hospital. Hopefully, I’ll find out more about him and what was going on. Could one of you come and take down his testimony if it is needed.”

“Sure, we both can come if you think it’ll help.”

“It can’t hurt.”

I left a note for Tony, “Jabir, come with me. Murray, I’ll take my car in case you and O’Shea have to leave.”

When we arrived at the hospital, I told Jabir about the secured area where the boy was located. We went through the secure locked area into the boy’s room. As soon as Jabir saw the boy, he ran to him and hugged him. There were tears in the eyes of both boys.

“I’m glad that you’re ok. I was so afraid for you.”

“I’m not sure how it happened, but I woke up in this hospital.”

“Do you remember me? My name is Brad; could you tell me your name?”

“Patrick”

“Well, Patrick, you are safe now. These gentlemen are my security people. This is Officer Murray, and this is Officer O’Shea. They have a few questions to ask you if you don’t mind. Your answers may help them to find other boys. Is that ok, Jabir will sit here while you answer their questions?”

I went to get us a coffee and a soda for the boys. When I return to the room, I gave everybody their drink and sat and listened. The story that unfolded made me sick in the stomach. I had to leave the room. I couldn’t finish my coffee. The nurse asked me if I was ok. I told her that Patrick was telling the police how he ended up in that house. “I couldn’t stay to hear it all. It made me angry and sick.” Finally, Murray came out of the room, shaking his head.

I went back into the room. O’Shea had tears in his eyes, “We have to leave. Murray and I are going to the police station.”

I nodded and sat in a chair. Jabir was sitting on the bed. “Jabir, why don’t you tell Patrick about Sanctuary?” I sat there and listened as Jabir told Patrick about the food and the cocoons. He told him about meeting Amir. I was sure when he was done, Patrick wanted to go to Sanctuary right now.

“Jabir, I’m going to talk to the nurse. When I come back, we should leave.”

I left them talking while I went to see when he’d be released. “Do you have any idea when Dr. Franks is going to release him?”

“No, I think it’ll matter what services he’ll need to heal completely.”

“We have an infirmary that is staffed by an NP. The infirmary is well equipped. Do you think he’ll release him, knowing that’s where he’ll go until he is fully healed? I think being around other boys who have shared his history will help him recover mentally as well as physically.”

“You’ll need to talk to Dr. Franks, and he may want to inspect your facility.”

“He’d be welcome anytime.”

“Jabir, it’s time that we should leave. Patrick, we’ll be back tomorrow. Hurry up and get well. When you come to live at Sanctuary, all of the kids will celebrate by going to the zoo.” I went and kissed him on the head.

On the way home, “Jabir, are you ok?”

He looked at me, “He has had a hard time. I’m so glad he’s out of that place. He’ll be alright, won’t he?”

“Yes, once we get him home, he’ll be fine. No more dog food for him. Maybe when we come tomorrow, we can bring him some of Mario’s cookies.” As we talked, I wish I could feed that man dog food. It would serve him right.

“What’s going to happen to that man who had us?”

“He’ll go to jail for a while, but you’ll never see him again, and he’ll never bother another boy.”

“He will if he gets out of jail.”

“He won’t be free. The other prisoners have no sympathy for men convicted of child abuse. You or any other boy will never have to worry about him.”

Pulling into the parking lot, “Dinner time, are you hungry?”

From the smile on his face, I was sure he’d enjoy dinner.

Walking into the dining hall, I saw Amir with his bodyguard, Jeff. Jabir went and sat down next to Amir, and I’m sure everyone will hear about Patrick before he comes home. Dinner that night was meatloaf and the trimmings. I saw Aaron and waved him over to my table. He sat his tray down and, after taking a bite, “This sure beats hospital food.”

“Aaron, there’s a chance that I might get Patrick released to our infirmary. I’d like for you to come with Jabir and me in the morning to see Patrick. Maybe after you see him, you can assess if we could care for him here. We should order another bed. If you can pull the file on the current bed, you can order it, and they should be able to deliver one in the afternoon.”

Bubba came up to eat at my table with Tony and Aaron. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the head. “Is the new boy coming home soon?”

“I hope so, we’re going tomorrow morning, and Aaron is going to assess to see if he can come home. Jabir is also coming; do you want to come as well?”

“Can I?”

“Sure, but you have to get up early to take care of Sandy before breakfast.”

Aaron asked him how he liked the meatloaf; he just smiled and dug right in. Aaron noticed some of the boys going up for seconds. “Are the kids allowed to have as much as they want?”

“Yes, the rule is they can go back as many times as they want, but what they take, they must eat.”

“It beats determining proportions. How about desserts?”

“The same rule. What I found if they know that they can have as much as they want and can go back as many times as they want, they take small portions. When you restrict them, they become afraid there won’t be enough, and they load their plates. Here we never run out of food. Of course, we have to be cleaver in recycling leftovers.”

“Bubba, be a good son and get me another cup of coffee when you go for seconds.”

“Tony, where have you been? You almost missed dinner.”

“I had some errands to run, and I wanted to stop by my office for a minute. How was the new boy?”

“The new boy’s name is Patrick, and he’s doing well. Jabir was with him today, and he gave a report to Murray and O’Shea. I had to leave; I couldn’t sit there and hear how he was treated. Aaron is going with us in the morning; I’d like to get him here as soon as possible.”

Murray and O’Shea came in and headed to the buffet.

“Do they eat here every day?

“Yes, they are our official security force. Call them, and they are here within 5 minutes or less. With that type of service, they can eat here anytime. Since we have opened the doors, we have become good friends.”

Bubba brought my coffee along with more meatloaf and vegetables. “Thanks, son” I kissed him on the head. Even though Bubba isn’t here as one of the found children, he’s such a joy to be around, and his mother is our head cook, so he’s here a lot. He has adopted me to be his dad, and I couldn’t be prouder.

When Bubba was finished eating, “Don’t forget to feed Sandy and take him out for his walk.” I knew he wouldn’t forget, but I wanted to question Murray and O’Shea. “Murray, O’Shea, I’d like to introduce you to our latest cohort, Aaron Burton, who is our NP. Aaron, if you ever need security, call these guys.”

After the usual chat, nice to know you and handshake, “Murray, any interesting news?”

“We turned in our interview with Patrick to the DA. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that guy. There’s more to come. Stay tuned.”

“You like to tease. All I want to know, am I going to get more boys?”

“I don’t know, but the Police Commissioner has issued a new policy, any boys found on the street are to be driven here to Sanctuary. I’d also suggest you replace that sign with a lighted sign and a little larger.”

I looked at Tony as he pulled his pad out of his pocket. “While you have your book out, add painting to the list.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 22
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am glad that Patrick is doing well, another boys into the mix , and more trouble for the delinquent idiot, when they get to trial they will no doubt battle to get the charges dropped or to cut a deal. As the saying goes "Live by the sword, Die by the sword"

  • Like 5
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I'm glad Patrick is getting better. I like the new policy of the police, to bring all boys found to Sanctuary.

Yep, but that couldn't accelerate the building next door,

  • Like 4
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, mikedup said:

I am glad that Patrick is doing well, another boys into the mix , and more trouble for the delinquent idiot, when they get to trial they will no doubt battle to get the charges dropped or to cut a deal. As the saying goes "Live by the sword, Die by the sword"

Our prisons aren't to keen on child molesters

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The Police deciding to auto-send Kids to Sanctuary is a pretty big deal in lots of ways. Brads "resources" are going to be tested sooner rather than later...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Chris L said:

"I wish I could feed that man dog food. It would serve him right." AMEN!!!

Don't worry about that man, he won't be around long enough, Prisons aren't a place for child molesters. Ifhe's alive before his trial, I'd be surprised

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Buz said:

The Police deciding to auto-send Kids to Sanctuary is a pretty big deal in lots of ways. Brads "resources" are going to be tested sooner rather than later...

Yes, but I think we will see a new building going up very soon. Remember he can handle 300 kids in the cocoons

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..