Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 854 Words
  • 2,309 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 60. Chapter 60

While we’re sitting there discussing Sanctuary and doing a little reminiscing, Adam came in looking for me. He had a letter in his hand. With a big smile, he gave me the letter, seeing the heading I know what this was. Adam had been accepted at the culinary school. I got up from the table and gave him a big hug, “I’m very proud of you.” When I told Tony, he also got up and hugged Adam. He whispered something to Adam, and I noticed Adam smiling at Tony shaking his head yes.

School was out for the day, and the kids started to come in for their lunch. Mario had grilled sandwiches and soup for them. I watched as Tony got up and got in line, then went and sat with some of the kids. Abe gave me a questionable look. “I felt I was losing my purpose by isolating myself from the kids. So I asked Aaron and Tony if they wouldn’t mingle with the kids. Now during breakfast, lunch, and dinner, we sit with the kids. Come on and get some lunch and watch the kids around Tony and Aaron.”

We went and got our lunch, and when I came to the soup, Adam smiled and showed me his driving license. He was smiling, “Congratulations, Adam. This certainly needs a celebration. After lunch, you and I are going shopping.” Abe and I got our lunch and sat down at a table. Soon the table began to be filled with the kids. “Boys, this is Mr. Carver. He’s the gentleman who has designed and built Sanctuary. If you have any questions, ask him he’s a nice guy.”

I then sat back and let the kids ask him questions, the first one being when the model room was going to be finished? Abe explained the staircase and had to wait until it was finished before it could be used. The next question was what was being built on the next lot. Again Abe explained that the building had many purposes. It would contain classrooms for special classes like woodworking, and it would contain more cocoons. The top floors will be apartments for the staff and any kid who has a job and needs a place to stay. But anyone living there will have to pay rent.

The next question concerned the lot on the other side of Sanctuary. Again Abe told them it hadn’t been decided yet. He asked them what they would want there. The younger kids at the table said a playground, and then when one of the older kids said a swimming pool, they all agreed. I think the playground idea was lost.

When lunch was over, Tony, Aaron came over to our table. “The kids sitting here were pretty excited. What did you promise them, Brad?”

“I didn’t promise them anything. Abe did.”

Abe started laughing, “The kids asked Abe questions about the model room, the building going up, and what were the plans for the empty lot. Abe did a good job giving them good answers. The kids appreciated that honesty. You did a great job, Abe. You can expect more questions and maybe even suggestions. They liked you. You gave them straight answers and didn’t try to brush them off. I bet you’ll make a lot of good friends here.”

“That’s true Brad, these kids are streetwise and can tell when someone is giving them the brush off or trying to snow them. Best to be honest, and once they know you’re honest with them, you can say you don’t know, and they’ll believe you.”

“You’re right, Aaron. These kids have been lied to, and they do suspect everything they’re told, so it’s best to be honest, and in time they’ll come to trust you. I think it took Jeff about a month to trust me when I said I wouldn’t take advantage of him or his sister.”

“Did Adam show you his driving license?”

“Yes, he was very proud. I’m going to take him out this afternoon and buy him a car. He has been accepted at a first class culinary school, and he has passed his driving test, so I need to reward him.”

“Are you going to buy every kid his first car?”

“Yes, so Abe, we’ll need a parking lot in the back of the new building.”

“You need to organize the parking space in the back of this building. You have five buses that’ll need parking space as well as Tony and Aaron’s cars.”

“Yes, we can do that. Maybe we can pave it or put down macadam. Aren’t their firms that can do that?”

“Sure they’ll layout the area for you, prepare the base, and put down the macadam. They’ll even put lines and number the parking places if you want.”

“Great, I’ll call some firms and get a bid. If they’re good, I’ll hold the parking area on the new lot as an enticement to do a good job. Don’t smile, Tony. You can help me.”

Aaron and Abe chuckled. They knew I always had projects for Tony.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 12
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. It was great to see Abe interacting with the kids and answering questions. I'm pleased for Adam.

 

9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. It was great to see Abe interacting with the kids and answering questions. I'm pleased for Adam.

Yes, he has a positive  interaction with the kids

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Plans to buy every kid his first car?Wow I was waiting for Brad to say he was kidding.But if he can do it and the kid earned it why not.Maybe he can make a deal with a dealership to have him buy all the cars from the same place every time in exchange for a price with 200 something kids they would have a revenue stream for a long time

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

 

Yes, he has a positive  interaction with the kids

 

He does and the kids know he is the one who makes Brad's dreams come true

  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Plans to buy every kid his first car?Wow I was waiting for Brad to say he was kidding.But if he can do it and the kid earned it why not.Maybe he can make a deal with a dealership to have him buy all the cars from the same place every time in exchange for a price with 200 something kids they would have a revenue stream for a long time

I think he has with the dealer he bought his car before and after it crash, the truck and now the car for Jeff. He's doing okay with the money he gets from suing those pervs. They had a lot of money and because 0f that they thought they could. get away with the kids as sex slaves.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, Abe certainly made an impression with the kids , and congratulations to the boys going to study outside it makes one heart glad that they have made such progress despite some awefull beginnings

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Getting tired ... almost two over here but just had to have my final dose of Haven before heading to bed... I tend not to sleep too well at the moment, I think it dates back to when I had kids and heard every noise worried that something was wrong.

Wish my pa had bought me a car... he got me brothers one and then when I hit 21 he got me a... (drum roll please)... A set of towels! No I am not joking, that was when I left home finally accepting that he never liked me. Really hope Brad realises how the others will feel if he fails to do that because it really knocked me for six. I just left the towels on his doorstep when I left.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment

Congrats to Adam!

Wow. A Car per child that earns their license? Okay, so Brad has more money that I thought he did e.g. plane, boat to private island for 200+, etc. That's good. Will not think about their funds/spending again.

LOL. Reminds me of that Oprah show...and you get a car!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

 

 

LOL. Reminds me of that Oprah show...and you get a car!

Instead of hiding it under their seats like on Oprah they can hid it under their cocoon

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, Abe certainly made an impression with the kids , and congratulations to the boys going to study outside it makes one heart glad that they have made such progress despite some awefull beginnings

Brad and his group have provided a secure home for these boys. They feel confident and best of all they have the support of Sanctuary. For them it's like leaving home and knowing they can always come "home."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Kev said:

Getting tired ... almost two over here but just had to have my final dose of Haven before heading to bed... I tend not to sleep too well at the moment, I think it dates back to when I had kids and heard every noise worried that something was wrong.

Wish my pa had bought me a car... he got me brothers one and then when I hit 21 he got me a... (drum roll please)... A set of towels! No I am not joking, that was when I left home finally accepting that he never liked me. Really hope Brad realises how the others will feel if he fails to do that because it really knocked me for six. I just left the towels on his doorstep when I left.

That is something I can never understand. I was married and I had children. I bought each of my children a car, I could afford it and I wanted to give them something, a kick start in life. I feel for  you and I hope you are able to forgive those who have hurt you in the past. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Buz said:

Congrats to Adam!

Wow. A Car per child that earns their license? Okay, so Brad has more money that I thought he did e.g. plane, boat to private island for 200+, etc. That's good. Will not think about their funds/spending again.

LOL. Reminds me of that Oprah show...and you get a car!

I think that Sanctuary is in for more money from those who have been caught. Brad's dad will make sure Sanctuary stays solvent. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Instead of hiding it under their seats like on Oprah they can hid it under their cocoon

Yes, I like the idea of the cocoons. They are used a lot in Japan. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well it will be busy there with all the cars 🚗 and buses 🚌 😂 what I have said a real village 👍👍👍

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..