Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,222 Words
  • 2,385 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 36. Chapter 36

“You don’t look too good. Bad night?”

“I can’t shake this feeling. I’ll be ok if we go and come back without a problem. Maybe a hot shower will help. Have I showed you how to adjust the temperature?”

“No, I didn’t think you could. Here I’ll show you. Do you see the knob on the backside of the heater? If you turn it to the right, the temperature will increase; the temperature will decrease to the left. The temperature is read on this small gauge. I have them all set at 130 degrees. If you change it, be sure you change it back.”

After Tony left, I increase the temperature to 145 degrees and let the hot water wash away my aches, then I turned it to 100 degrees and let the cold water wake me up. Adjusting the temperature back to 130, I left the shower. I’ll shave before I get dressed for the trip.

After a quick breakfast, I went to pick up the savings banks and pick up Corky to go shopping. The banks were in two cartoons, which I put into the trunk of the car. Driving to pick up Corky, Tony called and asked me to stop at Sanctuary before going grocery shopping. I didn’t know if there was a problem or not. The feeling of something bad going to happen was still a nagging headache. When I pulled up at Sanctuary, Tony met me, “One of the boys got a cut from falling. He was in such a hurry to get his shower, he fell. He said it was a cut, but it looks like a scrape.”

“If it isn’t too bad, take him to see Janine. You can take Jeff with you. I’ll try and be back within the hour, and I’ll stop at the clinic.”

Leaving Sanctuary, I drove to pick up Corky. As soon as I pulled up to the curb, he was waiting for me, and when he saw me, he jumped into the car. I had seen a supermarket when I was driving around looking for the banks, furniture and on the way to the University. As I pulled into the parking lot, it was apparent that this was not the market Corky and his mother used.

We left the car, and Corky got a shopping cart. We went up one aisle and down another, loading the cart. I pushed as Corky selected the items. He went shopping with his mom and knew what items they usually bought. When the cart was half full, “This is all.”

“But the cart is only half full. Let’s go around again.”

This time I added more vegetables, more fruit, an extra box of cereal. I wanted to make sure they had more than enough. Taking into account, Corky would be cooking; I picked up several simple dinners he could make. “Now that the cart is full, we can check out.” Corky unloaded the cart from the front, and I helped from the back. While he wasn’t looking, I took a few candy bars and held them. He had his back to me as he was loading the cart to take to the car. I handed the cashier the candy bars. She took them and put them into the bottom of a bag. Everything paid and packed; I drove through a MacDonald’s and bought three egg and sausage sandwiches. I gave the bag to Corky, “Go ahead and eat. Save one for your mother.” I didn’t have to say that twice.

After helping Corky take the bags up to their apartment, saying hello to Corky’s mother, I headed for Sanctuary. I called Tony to find out about the boy. He was back at Sanctuary.

When I entered the dining hall, it looked like a madhouse. I saw Tony and waved him over. “What’s going on?”

“Your mother.”

“Where is she?”

“In the middle of that group of kids.”

“Where’s the kid that got hurt?” He pointed to a boy who was sitting alone. I went over and sat beside him. “What’s the matter, Danny? Does your leg still hurt? He shook his head no. “Will you tell me why you are sitting here all alone?”

He raised his head to look at me, and he had tears in his eyes. I picked him up and sat him on my lap. “Are you afraid because you hurt your leg, and I’m going to punish you?”

He looked down at the floor and nodded his head yes. “I’m not going to punish you. If I had a nickel for every time I skinned my leg or my knee, I’d be the wealthiest man in town. I’m just worried that you’re still hurting. Is your leg ok?”

He nodded yes, “Then I’m glad. Go and join your friends. After lunch, we’ll have to get dressed for the show.” He looked at me; I brushed a tear from his cheek and gave him a hug and a kiss on the head. I helped him down from my lap, and he went and joined his friends.

“I think you have the magic touched. I tried to console him, but it didn’t work.”

“It would if you were my partner, Uncle Tony.”

I finally made my way to mom. “Mom, are you the center of this madhouse?” as I stooped to kiss her.

“I brought the clothes and was handing them out. They wanted to know where to put them until it was time to dress.”

“Tell them to hang them in their cocoons. I’ll tell them when it is time to dress. Can you ask them if they took a shower this morning? If not, ask them to take it now before lunch. Thanks, Mom.”

“Tony, what’s bothering my son?”

“He has a feeling that something is going to happen today, and I think he feels it’s going to be bad. This is the first time the kids have been away from Sanctuary as a group. I wouldn’t be concerned, except he has had this feeling before, and something has happened. Don’t worry. I’ll keep an eye on him. I hope nothing happens to one of the kids.”

“Thank you for telling me. You have feelings for my son; I can see it in your eyes when you talk about him.”

“Yes, I do, but he doesn’t share his feelings with me. He told one of the applicants for the PA job that the kids come first, and if he had a partner, they’d be second. I’d accept that even as a friend.”

“Don’t give up, Tony; you are his best and only best friend. Give it time.”

“We’re going to have a light lunch today, chicken salad with vegetable soup. I don’t want the kids to eat too much. With all of the excitement, they’ll be sick. We’ll have a good dinner tonight, roast beef, mashed potatoes, a green vegetable, and a surprise dessert. That’s if they could eat after the show.”

“Son, make sure you have enough money so you can buy them a souvenir.”

“Thanks, Mom, I forgot whenever we went anyplace, you and dad always bought me a souvenir. Tony, my friend.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll have enough cash on me to handle the souvenirs.”

“See, Mom, that’s why I love Tony so much.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Timejun said:

You know, as much as I love the story line the chapters are so short.  A few paragraphs doesn't make a chapter.

I think the chapters are perfect in length. It's not a marathon or first steps, it's a gentle stroll through the park enjoying the view and smelling the flowers along the way.

Now, for story comments. Not sure where Brad's anxiety is coming from other than it's their first outing with the kiddos and he's being protective. Hopefully will be a safe and fun time had by all. Mom and the boyfriend in waiting ... what can I say, Mom's know best! 😂 Certainly were some innuendos made by Brad in this chapter. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, it is sad what some of the boys went through with their so called parents , I hope that when he said he lived Tony it is the beginning of something really good between them , no onwards to the show,c

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nice chapter. Brad still battling his fear of something bad happening, while helping little Danny overcome his fear of being punished for an accident out of his control. Makes you wonder how bad Danny's 'life' was before Sanctuary

Will Brad's 6th sense prove true? I really hope not.

:read: As for the comment: "...the chapters are so short.  A few paragraphs doesn't make a chapter", technically that statement is incorrect.

First, 'few' is defined in numerous places (Merriam-Webster, dictionary.com, Wiki et al) as: "deemed to be more than one, but still a small number , generally three".

Second, from an editorial perspective, single sentences / lines (ie conversation) don't generally  comprise a paragraph. Multiple sentences do, and multiple paragraphs (in this case at least 15), comprise a chapter. Ergo, this IS a chapter, albeit short.

There are other stories on GA with equally brief chapters, just as there are some that probably qualify as a tome. One just has to find what works for them. :rolleyes:

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Brad looked after Corky and his mum, shopping for them. He has still has this feeling something is gonna go wrong  let's hope it doesn't and the boys enjoy there outing to The Lion King

Brad's feelings are a premonition of trouble. Let'shope the trouble can be handled with his escorts.

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Danny thought he was going to be punished for hurting himself?Make you shudder to think where he came from.Brad left Corky at his home he got him a ticket right?

Yes Brad has a ticket for Corky. 

 

5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, it is sad what some of the boys went through with their so called parents , I hope that when he said he lived Tony it is the beginning of something really good between them , no onwards to the show,c

The excitement among the kids runs high. It wooden run high for the adults also,.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Nice chapter. Brad still battling his fear of something bad happening, while helping little Danny overcome his fear of being punished for an accident out of his control. Makes you wonder how bad Danny's 'life' was before Sanctuary

Will Brad's 6th sense prove true? I really hope not.

:read: As for the comment: "...the chapters are so short.  A few paragraphs doesn't make a chapter", technically that statement is incorrect.

First, 'few' is defined in numerous places (Merriam-Webster, dictionary.com, Wiki et al) as: "deemed to be more than one, but still a small number , generally three".

Second, from an editorial perspective, single sentences / lines (ie conversation) don't generally  comprise a paragraph. Multiple sentences do, and multiple paragraphs (in this case at least 15), comprise a chapter. Ergo, this IS a chapter, albeit short.

There are other stories on GA with equally brief chapters, just as there are some that probably qualify as a tome. One just has to find what works for them. :rolleyes:

Yes, my chapters are short as I based them around a particular point. Of course I like to build some suspense so that my readers look forward to the next chapter. I generally try to shoot for 1000 word minimum, when possible.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, James B. said:

I really hope and pray nothing bad happens, especially to the kids. They have suffered enough.

The next chapter is up, at least by the time I have read these comments. So I'll let the next chapter answer your question.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 1/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, weinerdog said:

Danny thought he was going to be punished for hurting himself?

That is so sad. I can think of two scenes in my life that jumped to the fore when thinking about Danny's situation. Neither was cool. Anyone, let alone a Kid, should not feel fear like that because they hurt themselves?!?! How cray cray is that!

 

On 1/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, Timejun said:

You know, as much as I love the story line the chapters are so short.  A few paragraphs doesn't make a chapter.

The chapters are short, but appear very frequently i.e. two a day every day or very close to. I appreciate this way more than Authors who choose the one-or-two-chapters-a-year option.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Buz said:

That is so sad. I can think of two scenes in my life that jumped to the fore when thinking about Danny's situation. Neither was cool. Anyone, let alone a Kid, should not feel fear like that because they hurt themselves?!?! How cray cray is that!

 

The chapters are short, but appear very frequently i.e. two a day every day or very close to. I appreciate this way more than Authors who choose the one-or-two-chapters-a-year option.

Thanks Buz, I think we had a peek into Danny's previous life. I suppose he was heavily criticize when accidents happened. I try and keep my chapters posted around a central theme. It's my readers who cause me to post twice a day so thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..