Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,037 Words
  • 2,200 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 75. Chapter 75

Arriving back at Sanctuary, Aaron asked, “How’s the cruise?” Tony laughed and told him not to go there. We did tell him we hired a captain and possibly a crew. I was glad to see the kids; I must have been asked a thousand times what it was like to ride the boat. I pulled Adel aside and told him I saw and smelt the terrible circumstances they had. I assured him that would never happen again.

That evening we had to bring Abe up to date on our trip and the boat’s condition. I told him we hired a captain and possibly a crew. “After giving it some thought, I’ve changed my mind about putting cocoons on the ship. I’m going to install small rooms with portholes. I think a 4-6 person room with bunk beds. What do you think?”

“What about showers and bathroom facilities?”

“I could use one end of the room and install a bathroom as I have in the quads.”

“With the length of the ship, you probably could sleep 8 to a room, four sets of bunk beds.”

“I like that idea better than cocoons. It’d be something different. If you want, I could sketch out something for you.”

“That’d be great, and then I’ll have something to discuss with the Ocean boys.”

“I like that idea also, Brad. The cocoons might remind the kids of the barrels. They have cocoons here, so it’ll be different.”

“What about rooms for guests?”

“I was thinking of building staterooms on the upper deck. Those will be for any adults who accompany us. The crew will utilize the existing rooms by the bridge. Ocean said they’d have preliminary sketches in two weeks. I’d like you to go with us when we see them; if you have the kid’s quarters sketched out, we could see if they can be incorporated in their plans.”

“I have a draft of a contract for the Captain. I need to confirm numbers with a few agencies, and then I’ll run it across the Board for approval.”

“It’d be nice to have a sketch of the ship to show as well.”

Walking back to Sanctuary, “It’s hard to believe where we are today and where we were just a couple of years ago. Next week our proud Governor is bringing some visitors. I don’t want anyone to know, so keep it under your hat. It’s more impressive when the kids behave as they normally do.”

“So you are to become a model for other States?”

“There’ll never be another Sanctuary unless the person is committed as much as Brad. The insertion of the government will reduce it to an orphanage run by people who are paid to perform.”

“Unfortunately that’s a fear I have. We have to keep the bureaucracy out of it. If anyone asks me what’s the secret, I’ll tell them, undying commitment, personal sacrifice, and no bureaucracy.”

“But the rewards you couldn’t buy.”

I looked at Tony, “I thought I’d say that before you.”

Entering Sanctuary, Murray and O’Shea were sitting at a table with a few of the older boys. Getting a coffee, we sat down with them. One of the boys leaned into me; I put an arm around him and pulled him closer. “What are you all discussing?”

“I was telling the boys about the island.”

“Good cause that’s where we’re going this summer, for the whole three months.”

“Really!”

“Yep, nothing but fishing, swimming, playing games, and just loafing around.”

“Will we have cookouts?”

“Of course, some of the kids from the last time will teach you how to make smores and toasted marshmallows.”

“Can we go now?”

“I’d love to go now, but it’ll take the time to arrange everything. Uncle Tony needs to lease a big plane, lease boats to take us to the island, arrange for lifeguards and security. That takes time, but you’ll see time will fly and soon will be on our way.”

“Tony, did you ask Peter how big of a runway he’d need for the plane?”

“Not yet, I’ll call in the morning. I need to check the size of the island to be sure we have enough land.”

“You guys are getting tired, I’ll walk with you to your cocoons. Good night guys, I’m going to bed as well. I’ll see you in the morning, Abe thanks for sharing my dinner tonight.”

I put my arms around the boys and walked with them to their cocoons, hugging each one and a kiss. I said goodnight.

“Tony, how does he do it? I think if possible, he’d adopt every one of these kids.”

“In a way, he has. There’s nothing he won’t do for them. When we toured the ship and saw the place where the barrels were kept, he had tears in his eyes. I’ll tell you this; those kids deserve everything he gives them.”

“I wonder what his next idea will be.”

“I already know he plans on offering, at no charge, to the poor kids of the city a sea cruise. You remember one of your fellow officers who help his neighbor with their kids; those are the type of kids he’s looking to give a free cruise. I’ll bet it’ll happen too.”

“Where does he get these ideas? There has to be a connection with the man upstairs.”

“I think some of it is his mom and dad. They give him 100 percent support. When you think of his background and his wealth, you’d never expect this. The initial cost of Sanctuary came from him. When he thought Sanctuary was in financial trouble, he panicked. His dad helped him solve the problem by taking those pedos to court.”

“Well, gentlemen, I’m going home. Good night.”

“Murray did you guys hang around tonight for a reason?”

“Yes, we’ve another kid coming in tomorrow. He’s from England. I think we’re now getting kids from the streets in Europe as well from the pedos.”

“Won’t make any difference to him, he’ll take them all.”

“Good night Tony, we’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Tony locked up and went to bed himself, thinking it had been an exciting day. “I wonder what tomorrow will bring.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

They seem to be getting international kids at Sanctuary 

At least one from England. That is unusual, must be some thing behind that

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kev said:

I see what you mean about it being a totally different ship now... Just the thought of what it was like down there had tears rolling down my face. Brad / Dad is one hell of a special guy, I hope it works out for the BRIT that's coming over... Who knows we may be related. One thing is for sure the problem of homeless kids exists everywhere; it breaks my heart when you see the streets of the city, like London, and there are kids sleeping in doorways. This world needs more Brads. 

Loving this story, thank you for sharing.

Wait till it is finished and Adel; sees it. That will be the ultimate test

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I heard the Governor was coming  with people I was thinking it would be great if he brought this president along.You might have seen him with this 13 year old boy who has a  stuttering problem he would be perfect to see this.

You make a good point that Sanctuary only works because it headed by somebody like Brad.There could be another person every bit as dedicated as Brad but if he or she is not competent it won't work despite good intentions.It would be very hard to duplicate.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, I think that Sanctuary has been international for some time , this just broadens the net, I can't wait to hear what is going to happen to the ship

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

When I heard the Governor was coming  with people I was thinking it would be great if he brought this president along.You might have seen him with this 13 year old boy who has a  stuttering problem he would be perfect to see this.

You make a good point that Sanctuary only works because it headed by somebody like Brad.There could be another person every bit as dedicated as Brad but if he or she is not competent it won't work despite good intentions.It would be very hard to duplicate.

It would be hard to duplicate on the same scale. But it doesn't have to be that large. A place for twenty could be handled easily. Brad is unique in that he has the financial  backing and his staff are all committed

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that Sanctuary has been international for some time , this just broadens the net, I can't wait to hear what is going to happen to the ship

If they got on a cruise , I want to go. Care to join me?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

If they got on a cruise , I want to go. Care to join me?

Yes if I could, however I am in South Africa, travel is a bit of a nightmare, but thanks for the invite

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Yes if I could, however I am in South Africa, travel is a bit of a nightmare, but thanks for the invite

Maybe I'll get Brad to cruise to South Africa, the you can join us. I would love to visit South Africa, but I'm afraid that won't happen. Stay well

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

Maybe I'll get Brad to cruise to South Africa, the you can join us. I would love to visit South Africa, but I'm afraid that won't happen. Stay well

 

Well, seeing as you're offering...they have 3 months and the seas and oceans cover approx. 70% of the Earth. That is more than enough time. Y'all could sail across the Pacific to New Zealand and pick me up. Then we could go past Australia towards the Indian to get to South Africa to pick up Mike. After Mike we could head up the Atlantic to the UK and pick up Kev.

See. Sorted.

Sorry. I don't know where other Readers are.

There could stops along the way as well as those three countries. It could be fun, entertaining AND educational for the Kids.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Buz said:

Well, seeing as you're offering...they have 3 months and the seas and oceans cover approx. 70% of the Earth. That is more than enough time. Y'all could sail across the Pacific to New Zealand and pick me up. Then we could go past Australia towards the Indian to get to South Africa to pick up Mike. After Mike we could head up the Atlantic to the UK and pick up Kev.

See. Sorted.

Sorry. I don't know where other Readers are.

There could stops along the way as well as those three countries. It could be fun, entertaining AND educational for the Kids.

Okay, let's do it. At least on paper if not in reality 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I say old chap, where do I get a spot of tea around here? 🥰 

I think Kev would beg glad to have a cuppa with you. All aside, in the US coffee is a dormant drink, although there are tea drinkers. I have the best of both worlds, I like coffee and tea. Earl Grey is my favorite and a strong, black coffee. Cuban style

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Okay, let's do it. At least on paper if not in reality 

Yeah. Boy sometimes reality can suck.

 

13 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I have the best of both worlds, I like coffee and tea.

I never really thought about it before.

However, when I was a Feral, it was all about tea. I wasn't a purist so loved tea bags when they came along. Alot less messy. No tea leaves all over the place. Not only was I not a purist, but I was a real heathen. I always had milk and sugar in my tea. We never really had coffee in our house.

Now, New Zealand has such an amazing Coffee Culture (for a small country of 5million people) and there are cafe's all over the place. A simple large long black for me please.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..