Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 818 Words
  • 2,958 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 2. Chapter 2

Later that evening, over dinner, I listened as Dad told Mom about my plan. Mom just smiled at me. I saw the twinkle in her eye and knew she’d be in my court. Dad looked at me and smiled. I knew then I had his support as well.

The next morning when I arrived at the warehouse, I was met by two men. “Are you Brad Williams?”

“Yes, how may I help you?”

“Your dad hired us to clean and seal the floor with a hard gloss finish.” While the foreman spoke, I noticed four men taking machines into the building, from the peripheral of my eye.

When they left that night, they told me to stay off the floor and that they’ll be back the next day.

At dinner, I thanked dad for the help. “It’s the least I could do. If you’re serious, and evidently you are, I’ll help all I can.”

The next morning, the crew was back. “We’re going to coat the floor today. You’ll not be able to use that room for at least three days.”

I thought, how can I continue my renovation? I needed to continue. When I was leaving that evening, I took the time to check out the loading dock. Taking a few minutes to check around that area, I saw a ladder that went down into what should be the basement. I’ll explore that tomorrow.

In the morning, instead of entering through the back door, I checked out the ladder at the loading dock. When I got to the bottom of the ladder, I found a sealed door. After getting some tools, I broke through the door, and I was in the basement. The previous owners must have sealed it for a reason. Now I can work in the basement for a few days.

I laid out the showers, lockers, partitions, washers, dryers, and sinks using some chalk. With that done, I now needed to search for the shower cabins. I knew getting lockers wouldn’t be a problem. Checking my watch, I still had time to visit some of the second-hand stores.

That evening, I brought my mom and dad up to date on my progress. “I laid out the floor plan in the basement, and now I think I’ll ask those men who polished the first floor if they could polish the basement and then add a sealer. What do you think, Dad?”

“I think that’s a good idea. I’ll give them a call.”

“Mom, I checked out a few second-hand clothing stores this afternoon. I could probably get quite a few clothes there. I was thinking of clothes that could be worn by both boys and girls.”

“Brad, let me help with that. I feel left out of this project.”

“Mom, that’d be great. I’m not sure what sizes I’ll need, but I bought some t-shirts today and a few pairs of jeans. I’m not worried about the length, so I concentrated on small waist sizes.”

 

True to word, the floor crew showed up again with sanders and polishers. Of course, the lines I laid out were destroyed. But I could always make them again.

When they left, I was told to stay out of the basement for a day. I was ok with that since they completed the dining hall. I ordered the picnic tables and contacted a company that made vending machines.

I wanted to concentrate on the second floor. I needed to brick up the windows. They were 50 feet high. I also wanted to begin the construction of the additional floors. I figured I could divide the 60-foot height into a total of three floors that would give me a total of 336 cocoons.

That evening I told Dad about my plans for the second floor. “Dad, I need to start dividing the second floor into three floors of approximately 20 feet each. I also need a mason to brick up the windows. Do you know of any firms I can use for that? I could use a local contractor, but I don’t know any.”

“Let me see what I can find out for you. How’s the floor on the first floor?”

“It looks great. They did a fantastic job and polished and sealed the basement floor. But maybe I was in too much of a hurry. We’ll probably have to break the floor for water and sewer lines. But I guess I can have them come in and do it over again. I’m going to order some equipment for the dining hall.”

“I see you’ve started to name the floors.”

“I think that’s the best way rather than the first floor or second floor. It denotes the primary reason for the floor. I think I’ll call the floors where the cocoons will be installed the hives.” I made that comment in jest, but in reality, it’s probably appropriate.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 18
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, CLJobe said:

Yes, for some reason I couldn't sign on. Something about email, I didn't understand. I'll try and slip a chapter in later tonight 

I heard Google was out again this morning. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, CLJobe said:

I can answer some of this Brad was attending college when he met his first street person. I would put his age between 20 and 22. He has a trust fund, that he is using. You will find out that his family has money 

 

Just asking...🤓

  • Like 5
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Reading Weiner's comments and CLJ's reply makes me ashamed of those we've put in place to protect and serve! While I fully support our public servants, this is one time I cannot agree. 🙄 

The chef in Fort Lauderdale was discharged with a warning, the first time, he had to pay a fine the second time and he changed his modus operandi, He prepared lunch bags and dropped them, off. Sadly he died not to long ago. He had a lot of people who applauded him and went bat for him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter, progress on most fronts however a lot still needs to be done I think permits are top of the list because no doubt some idiot will complain to the police and authorities

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, progress on most fronts however a lot still needs to be done I think permits are top of the list because no doubt some idiot will complain to the police and authorities

Follow me and find out who is running interference 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Buz said:

Brad seems a tad 'gung ho' without enough planning, fore-thought, etc. Heart Of Gold. This with his 'Will Do' attitude is awesome though. Even his Parents.

Brad is the only child, and for some reasons, only child gets extra attention and support. He knows he doesn't have all of the answers and his dad is helping him out. He is getting professionals on his team

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Brad may want to consult with and use the services of an architect so  the work he does is within the local building codes.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..