Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 791 Words
  • 2,558 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 11. Chapter 11

At lunch, I gave Tony the receipt for the buses. “Who has a list of the bus drivers the school retired? I’ll need bus drivers, on-call more or less, so I think retired drivers might fit the bill.”

“You can call the bus company or the Board of Education. I’d start with the bus company. I’ll get you the address and phone number.”

“Thanks, Tony. You always pull through.”

“We’ll see how he does on the tickets.”

“I plan on doing something at least once a month. Since they are all going to see Lion King, the next trip will be to the zoo and then maybe a ball game. Just something to take them away from being closed up in Sanctuary.”

“That’s a good idea, and with the buses, it could even be a ride in the country with a picnic or to a park. This is one of your better ideas.”

“Thanks, Tony. Abe, how are the plans for the third floor coming along?”

“They’re done. Are you planning on presenting them to the Board?”

“No, I thought since you are now on the Board, you can present the plans. If you need help, I’ll step in.”

Tony started to laugh, “So you also fell in the trap. I think anyone who helps Brad eventually gets on the Board.”

“Hey guys, you’ve become my best friends, and who better to have your back than your best friends.”

Laughing, we entered the restaurant; a waiter seated us and took our drink order, as one, we said hot tea. Who goes to a Chinese restaurant and doesn’t order hot tea.

When he brought us our tea, he handed us a menu. Tony knew what he wanted and ordered right away. Abe looked at the menu and order General Tso’s chicken. “You know that’s hot, right?”

I ordered hot and sour soup for all of us. I order egg rolls, steamed dumplings, steak on a stick, and ribs. “Sir, those are all appetizers.”

“Yes, I know, for me they’re the best. I like the appetizers and tell the owner he should make them a special meal.”

The waiter looked at me and laughed, walking away, shaking his head. “Do you always do that in a Chinese restaurant?”

“Yea, I like the appetizers. You’ll see, it’ll be a meal in itself.”

The waiter brought us our soup, and when he went back into the kitchen, I noticed one of the cooks looking out at us. He was probably trying to figure out who the nut was that ordered all of the appetizers.

“Any idea when the offices will be ready?”

“The offices should be ready in four weeks, but the elevator will be a total of six weeks. Have you given any idea to the elevator for the main building?”

“No more than what I told you. I’d like to have it before the weather turns bad, but at least if they can get the foundation in then, maybe we’ll make it.”

“I got Mrs. Jenkins to outline the cook shack. Do you want to see it before the Board meeting? I also included a closed corridor from the cook shack to the dining hall.”

“No, I’ll wait until the Board meeting. I forgot about a corridor from the cook shack. I should have thought about that. This reminds me, Tony, I want to buy that vacant lot next to Sanctuary. Can you check that for me?”

“What are you going to do there?”

“Well, I have two thoughts, one is a playground for the kids, and the other is a vegetable garden. Mrs. Jenkins has asked for an herb garden, and that should be close to the cook shack.”

“Maybe you can have both. The lot on the other side of you is available. The city wants to tear down that building, and I think we can make a deal if you’ll assume the responsibility of tearing it down.”

“Yea, we could do that. That would be perfect. Then I can have both. Will you take that as a project?”

“For you sure.”

“You might as well give in because you know at the end you’ll give in. Abe, be careful, he’ll send a teary eye kid to you, and there is no way you’re going to say no.”

“Yes, I get that feeling also.”

“Oh, come on, guys, you love helping those kids out. Just admit it and get on with business.”

Walking back to Sanctuary, they were laughing at me. Making comments, he has taught those kids to make sad faces and to cry on command. They were teasing me, but it was alright. They’re my best friends and are committed to Sanctuary as much as I am.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, I think that it is a good idea to get the kids  out to different places .just to experience life as normal people do.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A good chapter, and Brad definitely needs to plan regular outside activities for this children, whether trips, events or just play spaces with various equipment, otherwise these important young people are just being warehoused. Or perhaps more appropriately 'file drawered' (because the pods resemble file cabinets). 

I was waiting for an elevator to be installed (or re-installed as there would have been a freight elevator next to the original loading dock to service the workshop floors).

I commented in an earlier chapter a requirement for 'accessible' spaces, including 'bedrooms' under the ADA. FYI there are a few pod hotels in Japan that now feature 'doubled pods' (1 unit replaces 4 regular stacked units to allow standing room, and space for wheelchairs), even though Japan has a notorious history for ignoring 'differently abled' people.

Perhaps acquiring the building and lot next door will allow Brad expansion space. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It's great to see the plans for the Sanctuary. Some very happy kids.

Yes, and more to come

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Very interesting and ambitious plans.BTW Brad said who goes to a Chinese restaurant and doesn't order hot tea?Well I go to Chinese restaurants and don't order hot tea wanna make something of it?Kidding LOL. 

Funny you commented on the hot tea. I thought you would comment on Brad's orders. When I go to a cheese restaurant I do that and invariable a cook comes out to see who ordered all appetizers,

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Buz said:

'...Just admit it and get on with business...' I love that attitude!

You didn't think he was being a little insensitive?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

Another one who orders all appetizers at a Chinese restaurant. We are not alone!!

They are the best items on the menu.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that it is a good idea to get the kids  out to different places .just to experience life as normal people do.

Yes, it is. But they need to be careful

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

A good chapter, and Brad definitely needs to plan regular outside activities for this children, whether trips, events or just play spaces with various equipment, otherwise these important young people are just being warehoused. Or perhaps more appropriately 'file drawered' (because the pods resemble file cabinets). 

I was waiting for an elevator to be installed (or re-installed as there would have been a freight elevator next to the original loading dock to service the workshop floors).

I commented in an earlier chapter a requirement for 'accessible' spaces, including 'bedrooms' under the ADA. FYI there are a few pod hotels in Japan that now feature 'doubled pods' (1 unit replaces 4 regular stacked units to allow standing room, and space for wheelchairs), even though Japan has a notorious history for ignoring 'differently abled' people.

Perhaps acquiring the building and lot next door will allow Brad expansion space. 

 

I wasn't aware of the 'doubled pods' in Japan. When I wrote this story I had only seen the single pod which Brad has incorporated. "Drawer bed" tsk tsk

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 hours ago, CLJobe said:

You didn't think he was being a little insensitive?

No way. They are Best Friends, they were laughing, etc. They are just Buddies ribbing each other. I am not even sure where the question came from? No. Not insensitive at all...I think anyway :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Buz said:

No way. They are Best Friends, they were laughing, etc. They are just Buddies ribbing each other. I am not even sure where the question came from? No. Not insensitive at all...I think anyway :)

 

You are probably right. They were very good friends 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..