Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,057 Words
  • 2,428 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 83. Chapter 83

Talking to the captain, we decided we’d head toward the Caribbean. We had plenty of time to get back in time to watch the fireworks. I told the adults what we were going to do and that we wouldn’t have much time in port, but we could return after the fireworks. I didn’t tell the kids. They felt the ship moving but just thought it was natural. Fishing continued until one of the kids saw some land.

“Dad, what’s that land there?”

“Let’s go and ask Captain Rockford, Little John.”

When we entered the bridge, Little John’s eyes got big. I didn’t realize that none of the kids have ever been to the bridge. “Captain, this little man wants to know, what’s that land.”

The captain picked up Little John, “Do you mean that land?” From the bridge, you could see the island as we approached. Little John shook his head yes. “That’s a private island owned by one of the cruise lines. We’re going to stop there for eight hours, and then we will head back to where Jimmy Bob caught that fish. Once we have seen the fireworks, we’ll head back here, and then you can spend more time on that island or another island.”

He jumped down and ran to tell the others; they all ran to the ship’s front to see the island. Since the cruise line hadn’t planned on stopping there, there was no one on the island. Generally, if they plan on stopping, they’d have staff there.

The mates took the kids to the island on the lifeboats and waited until it was time to return. We had to look at all the shells they collected. I was glad we had the lockers because the cocoons were going to be full. Once back on the ship, we headed back to where Jimmy Bob caught the fish. The boys fished from the sides as we headed back. I noticed the wives of our special security detail teaching the girls how to knit. I just found my home economics teachers. Now, to convince the ladies to join Sanctuary.

After dinner, we all met on the deck to watch the fireworks. As we were sitting there chatting, we looked up, and there was a firework going off to our right. It wasn’t coming from the land but the sea. I went to the bridge, the captain was laughing, “Did I scare you?”

“Well, a little. I thought there was another ship close to us.”

“I bought some fireworks so we could have our own display.”

“That’s a great idea, I’m glad to know that I don’t need to worry about the kids, I’m always on alert. The only time I’m not on alert is when I’m in Sanctuary. Maybe there’ll be a day when I’ll feel that comfortable on the ship. I haven’t got to that feeling on the island yet. But I’ll get there, sometime.”

The rest of the cruise went very well. The fireworks were spectacular, and the ones the captain had been just as spectacular. The kids talked about them even after we got home. I didn’t realize it, but some of the kids never saw fireworks. It’s a shame what we take for granted.

The New Year promised new challenges and new opportunities. Our private security guard ladies did accept to come over for a few hours each day, except the weekend, to teach the girls various crafts such as knitting and crochet. I’m sure when I get the sewing machines, they’ll make clothes. Maybe I’ve got the seed of a famous clothes designer among the girls.

Adam, Jeff, and Andy went back to college. Beth passed her GED and now was deciding what career she would pursue. I know these are challenging times for students to make life-defining decisions. So I waited until Beth indicated where or what she was going to pursue. With her gone, I was going to need a back up in the induction office, although we have been slow these last few months. I think we haven’t had any new kids since Nick arrived.

It was about a week later that Beth said she wanted to go to a secretarial school. She talked to Tony’s secretary, and she liked the work of the induction office. I congratulated her on her choice and told her we’d look for the city’s best program. I later found a program at the community college that would confer an Associate’s Degree when she completed the course. I took her for an interview, she liked what she heard, and when I told her that Sanctuary would pay her fees, she was even more excited. I know she told Clair all about it that evening. Beth was a good worker and had a great personality. I know she’ll do very well at the college.

It was the middle of April when we were notified that one of the new centers in the next State was having a problem with their version of Sanctuary. They asked that I visit to evaluate the center to see how they may correct their problems. I asked Tony to come with me, and we made arrangements to visit at the end of the following week.

“Tony, do you have any idea why their organization might be having problems?”

“I think that it’s a matter of commitment. Look at our organization. All of us are committed to what’s best for the kids. We don’t worry about making a lot of money; we don’t worry about people asking us for our autographs. Kids are smart, particularly the kids from the street. They can tell if someone is sincere or saying words as if they were from a script. It’d be hard for someone to match your commitment, and don’t forget the money that Sanctuary requires to operate.”

“I can understand the money issue, particularly if they are State-funded. But the commitment to the project has to be there. You’re right; those kids can pick up on that fast. Even our kids had their doubts, remember the play, Lion King and the zoo. They were beginning to doubt us, the painting project, we had a lot of doubters, and now whenever we say something they believe it’ll happen, we have trust, and we have had to earn that.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Here we are back to that most important message. Gaining trust is vital to working with kids. Without it, you are not going to make much progress.

You are absolutely correct

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

There's not enough motivation at this other Sanctuary.

I don't think anyone has the motivation that Brad has

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You actually got me thinking in that one (I know it was painful - not done very often). Seriously, I had never considered there could he kids that had never seen fireworks before. We just took it for granted; on bonfire night you either went to a community display or you parents had their own bonfire in the back garden with fireworks. 

Those were the times I remember most; wrapping potatoes in foil and putting them on the fire... London Light matches ... toffee apples ... sparklers ... jumping jacks thrown at your aunties feet to make her jump when they started cracking away ... Hot tomato soup ... Treacle toffee. Why is it food is always associated with something like that?

In England when we were kids fireworks were only allowed November 5th, Guy Fawkes night. We never had them at new years, or any other celebration as far as I remember they were illegal on any other night. Loved the chapter as usual. 

Worried about the impact that the other site is going to have on Brad. If the kids are in a bad way over there he is bound to take things into his own hands to help them!

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great new year, I somehow doubt that anyone else could build a sanctuary like Brad's Sanctuary, I don't think that anyone else has the motivation to do it, plus there is no money to be made doing it

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

You actually got me thinking in that one (I know it was painful - not done very often). Seriously, I had never considered there could he kids that had never seen fireworks before. We just took it for granted; on bonfire night you either went to a community display or you parents had their own bonfire in the back garden with fireworks. 

Those were the times I remember most; wrapping potatoes in foil and putting them on the fire... London Light matches ... toffee apples ... sparklers ... jumping jacks thrown at your aunties feet to make her jump when they started cracking away ... Hot tomato soup ... Treacle toffee. Why is it food is always associated with something like that?

In England when we were kids fireworks were only allowed November 5th, Guy Fawkes night. We never had them at new years, or any other celebration as far as I remember they were illegal on any other night. Loved the chapter as usual. 

Worried about the impact that the other site is going to have on Brad. If the kids are in a bad way over there he is bound to take things into his own hands to help them!

have you noticed that with every important affair, food is a principal ingredient. 

I'll bet that the State thought what Brad did was easy. Nothing is easy without commitment

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great new year, I somehow doubt that anyone else could build a sanctuary like Brad's Sanctuary, I don't think that anyone else has the motivation to do it, plus there is no money to be made doing it

It would be difficult for anyone top do this if they are not motivated to help;p the kids. A total devotion to the kids is necessary,. you can't buy that devotion.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Beth may have her eyes on a long term career at Sanctuary. People thinking ahead, I like this! :)

You are probably right. She has done a lot of the work involving the kids.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I forgot in the last comment, so - congrats Jimmy-Bob!

For this comment, the congrats go to Beth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Buz said:

I forgot in the last comment, so - congrats Jimmy-Bob!

For this comment, the congrats go to Beth.

Yes, Beth has proven quite capable. Wouldn't you like to go on vacation with all of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, Beth has proven quite capable. Wouldn't you like to go on vacation with all of them.

I would LOVE to go on Vacation with them. The Ship, the Island, both. I don't care. That would be way awesome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Buz said:

I would LOVE to go on Vacation with them. The Ship, the Island, both. I don't care. That would be way awesome.

I agree, I'd even do the dishes

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

I agree, I'd even do the dishes

 

Ummm...I don't know...That's a hella lot of dishes :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Buz said:

Ummm...I don't know...That's a hella lot of dishes :D

But look at the fun you would have

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..