Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,486 Words
  • 3,313 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 31. Chapter 31

Tony stayed for dinner, and our two security personnel joined us. Mario and Adam had fixed a fantastic stir fry, and the kids went for it. Dessert was cake and ice cream. I watched Marvin in the line as the kid behind him helped to fill his tray. Jeff helped Amir, who was first in line. He sat Amir at the end of a table so his wheelchair would fit underneath, allowing him to eat from the table. Jeff brought his tray with milk for him and Amir and sat at the corner of the same table. We filled our tray last and sat at Jeff’s table along with Bubba. I sat with my back to the wall so I could observe the kids. A few said prayers, and others dug right into their dinners. When Adam brought in the cake, the plates were cleaned in no time. Adam wheeled the cart to the table, giving each kid as much cake and ice cream they wanted. I heard him say you can have seconds, but you’ll not have dessert tomorrow if you don’t clean your plate. Andy supervised the cleaning of the dining hall while we took Amir back to the infirmary. I carried him in while Tony brought in the wheelchair.

“Brad, I’ll stay with him for a while. I’ve been reading a book to him.”

“That’s great, Jeff. If you want a book and we don’t have it, let me know.”

Walking back to the dining hall for another cup of coffee and maybe a piece of cake, “I need to call Abe to see if I can speed up the apartments. I think Andy, Adam, and Jeff will be the first occupants. I’m a little scared at how fast we’re filling the cocoons.”

“You may have to expand the cook shack as well.”

“I haven’t thought of that. I need to see Mrs. Jenkins in the morning. How did you like the stir fry?”

“I liked it.”

“Not bad for leftovers.”

The next morning I felt it was going to be a good day. Only two more days until the trip. I felt the excitement in the air. As I was shaving, Tony came down to shower. “Put some clothes on. Do you want to scare the kids?”

I stuck my tongue out and got a smack on my ass. I heard the shower turn on; I finished shaving and was brushing my teeth when Tony came out of the shower in his boxers. “Look who’s talking about walking around in their boxers.” Just as I said that, Jeff and Andy came in to shower. Of course, they had to give us wolf whistles.

“I told you to get dressed.”

“Me, they were whistling at you.”

Jeff yelled, “We whistled at both of you, and you better get dressed before the mad rush.”

We no sooner got our clothes on when we heard the footsteps coming down the stairs. “I guess that’s the herd.”

We left the boys to mess around while Tony and I headed to the dining hall to find, yep, Murray, and O’Shea drinking coffee.

Tony and I got our coffee and sat with them to hear any news not being on the television or in the papers. “Ok, guys, what’s new on the street.”

“There was a preliminary hearing yesterday afternoon to determine if a certain lawsuit had merit. The judge declared that in view of the illegal method that the monies in question were attained, the lawsuit would proceed to a jury trial. We were told the defendants’ lawyers’ faces went white. One of them asked for a trial before a judge, and it was denied.”

“Did you hear anything about my lawsuit against those guys who tried to get me arrested?”

“I heard that had been settled. Have you checked your bank account? I think your dad said it was settled, and the money’s put into your bank account less attorney’s fees.”

I looked at Tony

“Oh, I’ve been so busy I forgot to tell you yes, your bank account saw a small deposit last week. I thought you kept track of your bank account.”

“No, that’s why I pay you.”

“Pay me? My bank account has shown no increase from Sanctuary or Williams.”

“With all the fun you’re having, I should charge you.” Before Tony could reply, the doorbell rang. Every time that bell rings, my blood pressure raises. Murray being the closest to the door, went and answered it. All I heard, ‘yes, he’s here. Come on in.’

I saw two people enter, and I recognized Aaron and Emily. I got up from my seat, introduced them to Murray and O’Shea.”

“It’s nice to see you again. Would you like a cup of coffee?”

“The General asked us if we had been to see you, and when we said no, I got the message we better get over here.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re here. You’re about to see something new and in a way strange. Watch what happens in a few minutes.” I had them sit next to me so they could see into the hall. The boys started to come up from the shower, chatting away. They lined up at the buffet, took a tray and loaded up their plates, pick up milk, and went and sat down. This continued until all the boys were eating when Jeff and Andy wheeled Amir into the hall. They pushed him into an end table and went got their trays. I few of the boys went back for seconds. Then the five girls came up from the shower and joined the line. The last in line was our security team.

Bubba came in, walking his dog to Sandy’s room very slowly. The dog looked like he was in a little pain but never made a sound. Bubba came out to fill his bowl with water. He smiled when he saw me and waved. I waved back. When everyone had eaten, Tony and I got up to get our breakfast, “Aaron, Emily, want to join us for breakfast?”

“No, that’s ok; we had something to eat before we arrived.”

“Aaron, if you’re going to work here, you’ll probably eat here. Come on, just a sample. Emily, come on, just a sample. You both can rate our cook.”

The four of us went to get something to eat, “Tony, help them through the line and introduce them to our cooks. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Jeff, where’s Marvin?” Jeff looked around in surprise and headed off to find Marvin. “Amir, how are you feeling today? It looks like you don’t need me to help you, and I’m very glad that Jeff and Andy are taking care of you.” I kissed him on the head and went to get my breakfast. I notice our guests looking at me. Then I saw Jeff leading Marvin down the steps into the dining hall; I walked over to Marvin, picked him up, and walked to the buffet.

I picked up a tray, “Tell me what you would like to eat or, better yet, tell Mario and Adam.” I stopped in front of Mario, who had the eggs. I whispered into Marvin’s ear, “He’ll put some on your plate. You need to tell him when to stop. Just remember, you can come back for seconds or thirds. Just take a little and then keep coming back for more until that tummy is full.” The next stop was Adam, who had a pot of oatmeal. Adam asked him if we wanted some oatmeal. Marvin nodded yes; Adam asked him if he wanted raisins and brown sugar. Again a nod, yes. Picking up his milk, I took him and his tray to the table. “Red, make sure he gets enough to eat, ok?”

I went and got my tray. I just wanted a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. With that and my coffee, I was satisfied. When I sat down, I looked at Aaron and Emily, “How do you like breakfast?”

“It’s quite good. Is this a typical breakfast?”

“No, it varies, but we always offer cereal, we serve pancakes, waffles, French toast, eggs whatever the cooks plan for the week. Lunches and dinners are catered for the weekend. I know you must have a lot of questions running through your minds. So just asked, you cannot offend me in any way.”

“You have only one Afro-American boy.”

“Yes, he came to us last night. I haven’t had a chance to interview him yet, but I’ll do it before the day is over.”

“I saw you kiss that one boy.”

“Yes, I often kiss their heads. It’s an assurance that Sanctuary represents love and concern while telling them that where they came from or what they’ve done is forgiven here.

The next question floored me, “Are you gay?”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 12
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I suppose that question was due to be asked , however I don't think it was appropriate, it had nothing tondo with running the sanctuary, 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

WOW, that was kinda out of left field. Cold and sterile isn't the environment of Sanctuary, warm caring inviting with genuine affection are, and the question of the kiss and personal question makes me tend to think Emily and Aaron might not be right for this job - regardless being taught professional distance. It doesn't really tell which of them asked the question and leaves it just a cliff-hanger but definitely shocked Brad, this reader, and probably everyone else at the table. I can only imagine the looks O'Shea, Murray, and especially Tony gave them. Small minds. 🙄 Happy New Year everyone! 

Excited New Year GIF

Edited by Chris L
  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. I hope Aaron and Emily are not out to cause trouble with that question they asked Brad.

Great chapter. I hope Aaron and Emily are not out to cause trouble with that question they asked Brad.

I think Emily is out. Her comment about Brad being gay was very offensive to Brad

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

I suppose that question was due to be asked , however I don't think it was appropriate, it had nothing tondo with running the sanctuary, 

You are right. But the timing of that question was inappropriate 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

WOW, that was kinda out of left field. Cold and sterile isn't the environment of Sanctuary, warm caring inviting with genuine affection are, and the question of the kiss and personal question makes me tend to think Emily and Aaron might not be right for this job - regardless being taught professional distance. It doesn't really tell which of them asked the question and leaves it just a cliff-hanger but definitely shocked Brad, this reader, and probably everyone else at the table. I can only imagine the looks O'Shea, Murray, and especially Tony gave them. Small minds. 🙄 Happy New Year everyone! 

Excited New Year GIF

I think you can figure out who asked that question. And a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Either Emily is 'fishing' on her own for 'dirt' or someone(s) has put her up to it. Most certainly not a question (or statement) to be made in public, especially where small ears can hear. These children were securely used and abused, and Brad worn their trust by saying he wasn't interested in them for sex. Emily could destroy all of that.:lmao:

Perhaps those on trial or worse the defendants lawyers. If the latter sanction and disbar them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Either Emily is 'fishing' on her own for 'dirt' or someone(s) has put her up to it. Most certainly not a question (or statement) to be made in public, especially where small ears can hear. These children were securely used and abused, and Brad worn their trust by saying he wasn't interested in them for sex. Emily could destroy all of that.:lmao:

Perhaps those on trial or worse the defendants lawyers. If the latter sanction and disbar them.

I think Emily has had something happen to her in the past. Maybe one of those children she was working with was abused.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I think Emily is out. Her comment about Brad being gay was very offensive to Brad

I was hoping to follow up to her question would explain the reason why she asked that and that the explanation would be understandable but based on what you wrote here I guess that's not the case.Could the General kick her out of the program also?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I was hoping to follow up to her question would explain the reason why she asked that and that the explanation would be understandable but based on what you wrote here I guess that's not the case.Could the General kick her out of the program also?

I don't think the Genera; would;d even hear about her remark unless word got back to the General;.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The Ignorameter just went off big time. The Kids at Sanctuary don't have time for Emily to find her true self (I am hoping for her sake she is not at that stage currently), so she needs to be gone. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Buz said:

The Ignorameter just went off big time. The Kids at Sanctuary don't have time for Emily to find her true self (I am hoping for her sake she is not at that stage currently), so she needs to be gone. 

Since that is your recommendation, She is Gone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..