Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,496 Words
  • 2,240 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 58. Chapter 58

The rest of the week, the kids had a ball, late-night campfires, roasting hot dogs, and making smores. The adults had just as much fun as the kids. There were many photos taken, and all the kids who never swam learned how to swim. The fishing wasn’t as productive as the kids wanted, but they had fun. There was fresh fish every night, but the downside was that the kid who caught the fish could invite a fixed number of kids depending on the fish’s size to eat with him. Mario was a great cook; he could take a fish for four and stretch it to five. This resulted in non-fish dinners for the adults, but all of the kids could have a fish dinner. When I spoke to Mario later, he told me that Tony suspected this might happen, so he had frozen fish loaded into the kitchen’s freezer. The kids never knew, but it was a small white lie. Of course, adding a lot of other vegetables and salads cut down on the size of the fish. On the last full day, we had awards. Tony had blank award certificates. The ladies filled in the name, and I had to sign the certificate. They were simple; Sanctuary on the first line, Achievement Award was on the second line. The third line was where the kid’s name would be written, and the fourth line was the reason for the achievement.

The men met together to make sure each kid got an achievement award for something they accomplished on the trip. There were awards for learning how to swim, for catching fish from the dock and the boat, there were awards for singing, and of course for who could cook the best smores. There were awards for the girls as well as the boys.

At dinner the last night on the island, we had awards night. Upon getting their award, each child got a hug from Tony, Aaron, Murray, and his wife, O’Shea, and his wife. Even the lifeguards, security people, and the ship’s captain got into the festivities by hugging the kids. I gave each kid a hug and a kiss on the head when I gave them their certificate. When all of the certificates were handed out, the adults in concert clapped for them. I noticed some of the kids had tears in their eyes, and even Tony, Aaron, and I had tears. To see these kids having a good time was an achievement; they would remember these days for a long time.

The day we had to leave, there were a few tears in the kids’ eyes until I told them we might do this again next year. The other two boats showed up on time, and we were on our way home. Buses were there for us to get to the airport. Flying home was interesting to see the kids were chatting among themselves now that they were seasoned travelers. Tony and Aaron looked at me, and I knew what they were thinking. I just smiled back.

When we pulled into the back of Sanctuary, I think the kids were ready to go to bed until they smelled the delivered pizza. As they departed, I told them to take their cases and awards to their cocoons and then come down for pizza. I thanked the security people on-site, offering them to stay for pizza.

As Tony, Aaron, and I entered the dining hall, it looked like they finished the second floor, at least from the dining hall floor. I watched as the kids came into the dining hall and noticed the lower ceiling. Before they saw the additional tables and the hall’s rearrangement, they started to ask questions about what was happening and why the lower ceiling. Abe hadn’t installed the stairs, so there was no way for them to investigate above the ceiling. Two boys headed right for me, want to guess who. I heard a chorus, “Dad, what’s happening?”

“Well, Bubba, Pat, I thought we might need a room for hobbies. So while we were gone, I had a room built above the hall so you kids can work on your hobbies.”

“Hobbies, like model building?”

“Yes, but also room for painting pictures, special activities where you work alone rather than in a group. As soon as the room is finished and the stairs are installed, I’ll get some work tables and then the models you all picked out.”

Walking away with smiles on their faces, a few of the other kids asked the same question. I gave them the same answer. I could have made an announcement, but I wanted the kids to feel comfortable coming to me to ask their questions.

I don’t know how many pizzas there were. I noticed a stack behind Mrs. Jenkins and the delivery boy from Aldo’s Pizza. As soon as one box was emptied, another was put in its place. It seemed with 253 kids to be a continuous line. One of the kids at the table I was sitting brought me a piece, “Mrs. Jenkins said this was for you.” I knew it contained anchovies.

One of the kids sitting next to me; “What kind of pizza is that?”

“This pizza has anchovies on it. Do you want to try some Arno?”

“I don’t know. It has a different smell.”

“That’s the anchovies; here is a small piece with a small piece of anchovy on it. If you don’t like it, that’s ok; many people don’t like the taste of the anchovy.” I watched as Arno took the piece. He had a funny expression on his face. I wasn’t sure he’d like it or not. When he had finished eating what I gave him, he looked like he was thinking and then smile. “I do like it. It has a different flavor, but it tastes good.”

Ah, another anchovy lover. Of course, I told him to go and ask Mrs. Jenkins for a piece of my pizza. I watched as he asked Mrs. Jenkins for a piece with anchovies, she looked at me, and I nodded my head yes. As she put a piece on his plate, I watched as he turned around and smiled at me. A thought passed my mind, did he like the piece I gave him because he liked anchovy or to please me. There was no way I’d know the answer to that thought.

When he sat down, he smiled at me while he began to eat his slice of pizza; I smiled back with a wink. One of his friends from another table came over and asked him what kind of pizza he was eating. He proudly explained that it was anchovy, and only people who had a particular taste would enjoy it. I went over to Mrs. Jenkins and brought back two pieces of the anchovy pizza.

I sat down, and when I looked up, there were three more boys in front of me. “Arno said that if we wanted to try the anchovy pizza, we needed to ask you.” I gave each kid a piece with a little bit of anchovy on it and watched as they ate it. The looks on their faces caused me to laugh.

Butch asked me if he could have a piece. I told him to go and ask Mrs. Jenkins for a slice of the anchovy pizza. The next time we have pizza, I’m going to have Mario order more. If this keeps up, I’ll have some real competition. One of the kids came back from Mrs. Jenkins, “Mrs. Jenkins said to tell you there isn’t any more pizza with anchovies.”

“Don’t worry, Drew, the next time we’ll order more with anchovies when we have pizza”

You could tell the kids were getting tired as they began to leave the hall heading for their cocoons. Soon the hall was empty. Aaron, Tony, and I helped clean up the hall and carry stuff back to the cook shack. “It seems the kids had a great time.”

“They did and want to do it again. It was good to see them enjoy themselves without any worries or concerns.”

After everything was put away, and the hall was cleaned, Tony, Aaron, and I headed for our bedrooms. “Guys, before we go up, I want to check the construction on the lot.”

We walked to the fence behind the office building to see what has been done. I was surprised to see the ground floor garages were done and the floor of the first floor almost complete. The first floor walls were framed. And it looked like the elevator pit was dug and a concrete pad laid.

“Guys remind me tomorrow at breakfast to call Abe and get a schedule for the finishing of the floor in the dining hall and the new building on the lot.” Saying good night, I went to my room and went to sleep.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 17
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awww. The Island Holiday sounded awesome, like we knew it would be. I love that all the Kids got a certificate. Whats so wrong about giving a Kid pride in themselves or happiness that someone actually sees them? Especially considering these Kids' backgrounds.

I am sorry. But anchovy? I know there is this whole debate about pineapple. I don't mind pineapple on a pizza. I don't look for it, but I don't dislike it. But anchovies on anything? Ummm...there are some things I can think of that would be alot worse? I know I could get a pizza with anchovies on it to go down. But it wouldn't be a pleasant journey.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great that all had a really good time, a lot of progress on the construction at home , I am glad that there are no incidents while away , plus I have to agree anchovies are "yuck" but each person Is entitled to to be unique, 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Awesome the kids had a good time🙂 So Brad likes anchovies on pizza?Oh well nobody's perfect.I hope he doesn't like pineapple on pizza either.(For those of you who like that stuff on pizza I'm kidding lol)

 

Hey, I like anchovies on pizza. In fact I like anchovies as a sauce for spaghetti. it's called puttanesca which translates to 'little whore'. you figure. I don't like pineapple on pizza. This scene was quite interesting, the kids show their love for Brad by trying to eat his food. My guess they would eat it regardless of the taste.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. It's great to see the kids relaxed and having a good time. I'm glad all the kids got certificates for achieving something on vacation.

Those certificates are very important. They have Brad's signature

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Chris L said:

I was good until the anchovy pizza came out! LOL!!!! LOL!!! 

Oh come on, have you ever tried pizza with anchovies. Anchovies are very healthy and people should eat more

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Buz said:

Awww. The Island Holiday sounded awesome, like we knew it would be. I love that all the Kids got a certificate. Whats so wrong about giving a Kid pride in themselves or happiness that someone actually sees them? Especially considering these Kids' backgrounds.

I am sorry. But anchovy? I know there is this whole debate about pineapple. I don't mind pineapple on a pizza. I don't look for it, but I don't dislike it. But anchovies on anything? Ummm...there are some things I can think of that would be alot worse? I know I could get a pizza with anchovies on it to go down. But it wouldn't be a pleasant journey.

I don't understand why people don't like anchovies. I happen to like them and have eaten them many times. On pizza, as a sauce for pasta and as an appetizer. Maybe it is an Italian thing 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

I used to teach young kids in my church, and the pride they had when they joined my class and received their class rings. don't belong to the church anymore (hey which church does like gays?) When my wife divorced me and I was excommunicated people actually turned their backs on me. Friends... 

Anyway the point is that no matter if it jewellery, or a thank you card, or a certificate to say well done... These things mean the world to a kid.

On a yearly basis the church would have a family picnic in the grounds of the church and competitions for the kids to take part in. When my class knew that it was coming up, they would have me get them together on a Saturday so that we could practice the games so they could win against the bigger kids.

The first year when my 12 year olds walked away with the prises, winning against 17 and 18 year olds was amazing and the parents thought it was wonderful. Little did they know that the practice was not only teaching them what to do, but teaching them what to do TO WIN. If in doubt fake being in pain and then nobble the opposition! The ladies thought it disgusting that their little ones would cheat, until one husband shouted "Marie shut up dear, you've been doing that in the ladies races for years."

Kids remember. I may not be in the church anymore but this last week I had a friend request from one of the boys in my first class, now a successful lawyer in London. When I told him I wasn't in the church anymore his response was that he hated his parents for shunning me and had been hoping I'd find Instagram for ages (I'm sixty next year... takes all my brain cells to work a computer never mind know how to use one). Knowing he reached out to me made me realize that those years I took that class were not wasted after all. Kids matter.

Yes.kids do matter. When an adult recognizes them, in a special way,. they never forget. You have been blessed with good memories and I'm sure those kids remember you and probably have passed on your teachings on how to win.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great that all had a really good time, a lot of progress on the construction at home , I am glad that there are no incidents while away , plus I have to agree anchovies are "yuck" but each person Is entitled to to be unique, 

Here I was going too invite all my readers for anchoivie pizza. I guess I'll have to forget that idea. I have come to the realization over the years that anchovies are not generally accepted. However, I do like them. They are an excellent source of protein 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..