Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,430 Words
  • 2,296 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 21. Chapter 21

We ended up at a steak house that was tucked away behind some warehouses. Unless you have been there, you would have never known it was there, and you couldn’t find it unless someone else took you the first time. I was surprised to find it very busy. A waiter came over as we walked in, “Hi Tony, I haven’t seen you for a long time. Where have you been hiding?”

“Hey, Slim, I’ve been very busy. This is a friend of mine, Brad Williams, Brad - Slim.”

We were shown to a table. As I looked around the place, I noticed all of the patrons were men, well-dressed men but never the less, men. Now I may look naïve, but naïve I’m not. Could Tony be gay? That thought continued to run through my mind as I looked at Tony.

“What’ll you gentlemen like to drink?”

Tony ordered a beer, “I’ll have black coffee.”

“What’s good here?”

“Try the T-bone steak. It’s a little spicy but very good.”

When Slim came back with our drinks, Tony ordered our dinner by saying two. Not two steaks, just two. This was going to be an interesting dinner. I looked at Tony, and he was becoming a little uncomfortable.

“Tony, it’s ok. Just relax, enjoy your beer. I’ll drink my coffee and check out the place.”

I thought Tony would have a heart attack. He realized that I knew that this was a gay club, and he was known here. The fact that Tony was gay didn’t bother me. He was my friend, which was important to me, not his sexual preferences.

As I watched him, he became more nervous. “Tony, your one of my best friends. That’s the most important thing to me. You’re my friend; I care less about your sexual preferences. You should know that from Sanctuary. Please don’t let this night ruin our friendships. I need your friendship. I need your input to make Sanctuary even more successful. Be my friend; this other doesn’t bother me.”

I watched Tony as his eyes misted up. I reached across the table and held his hands, “I was afraid, I wanted to tell you, but I was afraid. I thought you’d put me into the same category as those men who raped those boys. I’m not like that; I could never touch a child. I can’t even touch someone who is under the age of 21, let alone a child. Being with you at Sanctuary has been an eye-opener for me. I admire what you do, and I see how those boys affect you, your caring, and you love every one of those boys. I truly think when a boy hurts, you do also. I can’t work for you full time because I’ve fallen in love with you, and I know your heart is full of the love you have for the boys. There’s no room for adult love in your heart, at least no room for you to love me.”

“Tony, you’re wrong. Yes, I carry my love for those boys in my heart, as I’d carry the love of my own child in my heart. But the heart has two chambers. One is full with the love of the boys. The other is not full. It holds the love I have for my parents and the love I have for my friends. There is love in that area for you as well as Abe and other friends. You have been very open to me tonight, I appreciate it, but I still want you to work for me.”

“You never give up, do you?”

“No, when I see someone who can help me with the boys and at the same time help me, then I want that person to be with me, to be a part of Sanctuary. I can wait for your answer. All I ask is for you to give it some thought and eat your steak. Here it comes.”

“Enjoy, gentlemen.”

Tony was right; the steak was very tender, cooked to perfection, and spicy. I think I drank two glasses of water. When we were done eating, I paid the check, as we were leaving, “Good night Tony, Brad.”

Tony looked at me, “I didn’t know I was that famous.

Chuckling, Tony drove us back to Sanctuary. When I got out of the car, I noticed the lights were on in the cook shack. I opened the door, and Mario was stirring a pot. “Mario, are you ok?”

“Dad was taken to the hospital tonight with a heart attack.”

“Oh Mario, I’m so sorry to hear that. Why aren’t you at the hospital?”

“I’m preparing breakfast for tomorrow.”

“No, don’t worry about breakfast tomorrow. Tony, drive him to the hospital, please.”

Tony took Mario by the arm and led him to his car; I took the pot off the stove, turned off the stove and lights, locked up the cook shack, and headed to the dining room. When I entered, Jeff was there with a few of the older boys, “Mario’s father had a heart attack.”

“Yes, I saw him in the cook shack working on tomorrow’s breakfast. Tony is taking him to the hospital. I’m afraid breakfast tomorrow will be cereal unless Mrs. Jenkins whips up something different. Where is everyone? It’s only eight, and usually, this room is full.”

“I think some of them have gone to bed, some are in the game room, and some are watching TV.”

“And what are my seniors doing?

“We were waiting for you.”

“Why?”

“Some of us were wondering when we were going to see Lion King.”

“Tony has been having a hard time getting tickets. What started at 90 is now 136. But I asked my dad to see what he can do. If we get tickets, we’re going, and I think we’ll get tickets. My dad is pretty pushy when it comes to you kids.”

“Well, we’ll tell the others if they ask.”

“Good. How about I appoint you all as the party planning group? Your job is to plan an activity for each month. Now we have two planned, Lion King and the zoo. There is one rule: you cannot repeat an activity within six months.”

“What if we decided something and it’s a no?”

“Simple, check with me before making any announcements. If I say no, I’ll give you my reason. But my word will be final, ok?”

“What would be an activity you would say no?”

“Skydiving”

“So fishing is ok,” I nodded my head yes.

With that, they headed to the second floor. I waited in the dining hall for Tony to return. I thought about what he said tonight. I like Tony very much, I may even be attracted to him, but I have no room in my life right now until everything I have planned for Sanctuary is completed.

I got a bottle of water, retrieved the boys’ and girls’ list by age, and started to calculate each person’s allowance. I didn’t realize it, but we had several boys who would be 16 this fall. There were quite a few at 10, the youngest being 8, and that was only 3, and they would be turning nine soon. While I was putting numbers beside each name, Tony returned.

“How’s Aldo?”

“The doctor isn’t sure if it was a heart attack. They’re still doing some tests and should know in a few days.”

“How’s Mario?”

“He’s ok. I think not seeing his family shook him more than his father being in the hospital. I brought him back, and he’s in the cook shack.”

“In the morning, I’ll take him to the hospital to see his family. Mrs. Jenkins, with Adams’ help, can handle breakfast.”

“What are you doing?”

“Marking up the roster to determine who gets what as far as allowances go.”

“What does it look like?”

“Well, we have quite a few boys in the middle, almost like a bell shape curve. I have three, who will be 16 this fall, and of course, Jeff is 16 and will be turning 17 in a few months, Andy is 19, and I need to check when he will turn 20.”

“I think making the allowances based on age is a good idea.”

“Thanks. Do you know what a good idea is?”

“What?”

“Going to bed, I have an appointment at the University tomorrow or should I say we have an appointment.”

Laughing, we walked to our cocoon, and I conked out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Hopefully Aldo's heart issue (if that) is minor and treatable. If he had to stop working Mario would be torn between working the restaurant and cooking at Sanctuary. 

Tony & Brad? Brad's priorities are clearly ALL Sanctuary for now. He will make himself wait for personal issues, but can Tony bide his time?

Who knows? Da da daah...

I'll give  you a clue. I've just talked to Mario and he said ....................

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I see we all survived Christmas ,a lot quiter than normal, but we managed, now I can't wait for 31 December so I can uninstall 2020 as it has a virus, I hope that they are going to be more than just friends

They are very close friends, and sometimes that is better than a lover.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Tonyr said:

I hope Brad will bend. Looks like a match made un heaven. 

I don't anything is going to happen until everything is settles at Sanctuary

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment

So Tony and Brad?Im thinking if this progresses to that point and people know about it those religious yahoos will be back and I see unfounded allegations being made.Did Brad realize this about himself or did being around Tony bring that out?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

They are very close friends, and sometimes that is better than a lover.

I know what you mean I have a couple of friends since we were kids we've known each other about 40 years(Shh I didn't say that lol)Although both of them were and are gorgeous I never wanted anything to happen with them I didn't want to mess up being friends

  • Like 4
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

So Tony and Brad?Im thinking if this progresses to that point and people know about it those religious yahoos will be back and I see unfounded allegations being made.Did Brad realize this about himself or did being around Tony bring that out?

I'm not sure. I have friends I really care about, but not to the point of becoming an item. I don't think Brad is gay, but we shall see.

 

44 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I know what you mean I have a couple of friends since we were kids we've known each other about 40 years(Shh I didn't say that lol)Although both of them were and are gorgeous I never wanted anything to happen with them I didn't want to mess up being friends

That is exactly what I mean

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, CLJobe said:

When you work closely with someone, you do develop an affection for them. Brad is no different. Where it leads????????

Brad is gonna cave !

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

I don't anything is going to happen until everything is settles at Salvation

Salvation?  Calvin, I've added the following in case anyone may be wondering. 

BTW - Too much Christmas Turkey, containing 'amino acid Tryptophan' causes sleepiness and Brain Fahrt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A Child's Haven - 4. Chapter 4:

     “Brad, you’re going to have to come up with a name. You can’t keep calling it the warehouse.”

     “Yes, your right. What do you think I should call it?”

     “Why did you take on this project?”

     “Because I wanted to provide a haven for the street kids; where they can be fed, sleep safely, and not have to depend on strangers on the city streets.”

     “There are other words for a safe place. Maybe you should check them out and select one.”

    I had a sign made, and one of the carpenters nailed it over the front door, Sanctuary.

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Salvation?  Calvin, I've added the following in case anyone may be wondering. 

BTW - Too much Christmas Turkey, containing 'amino acid Tryptophan' causes sleepiness and Brain Fahrt.

 

 

A Child's Haven - 4. Chapter 4:

     “Brad, you’re going to have to come up with a name. You can’t keep calling it the warehouse.”

     “Yes, your right. What do you think I should call it?”

     “Why did you take on this project?”

     “Because I wanted to provide a haven for the street kids; where they can be fed, sleep safely, and not have to depend on strangers on the city streets.”

     “There are other words for a safe place. Maybe you should check them out and select one.”

    I had a sign made, and one of the carpenters nailed it over the front door, Sanctuary.

 

You're right. I must have been watching too many church services. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Brad didn't really reply to Tony's declaration. He needs Tony so needs to be totally up front with him...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Lololol, first time I made a comment last chapter and I was wrong this time 😅

Tony is gay after all, and Brad might be slightly interested, although he is busy at the moment. We will see how it goes...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Sweetlion said:

Lololol, first time I made a comment last chapter and I was wrong this time 😅

Tony is gay after all, and Brad might be slightly interested, although he is busy at the moment. We will see how it goes...

We shall see what happens. I don't think Brad objects to Tony's affection.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I thought and hoping that Brad is gay and know Tony is falling in love with Brad the pictures will be changed I think. Just let us wait And see what is going to happen between Brad and Tony, I hoooooooooooooop👨‍❤️‍👨👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..