Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,166 Words
  • 2,245 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 40. Chapter 40

“I want to thank you all for being here for me; I guess we all need someone. I need you as much as you need me. The child that Murray and O’Shea rescued because of Jabir is in the hospital. He’s very sick, but the doctors are doing their best, I’ll go and check on him today, and I’ll tell you how he’s doing, ok?”

You could see the heads nodding up and down. Bubba brought me another cup of coffee and climb up on my lap. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Pat came over and hugged me also, pretty soon all the kids lined up to hug me. I started to cry. I have given these kids only what every kid should have, and they have given me their love. The love of a child has to be the most precious thing in this world. I thanked them all and gave them a wet kiss. When everyone left, I put my head down on the table and cried. Tony stayed right beside me. I think he understood when I said the children first, and now he has seen their payback.

I finished my coffee, “I’m ready to go to the hospital if you’ve finished your coffee, Murray. Tony, watch the kids.”

When we arrived at the hospital, there was a police car at the entrance. “Sit here while I see what’s going on.”

I watched Murray walk over to the police car. He leaned on the door, I could see his lips move, and I got the impression he wasn’t happy. He walked back to the car, indicating for me to come on. When I got to him, “There has been an incident at the hospital early this morning. Two men approached the reception area, asking about the kid. She couldn’t help them since they didn’t know his name. They went through the hospital, checking the rooms, the receptionist called the police. The squad came and cornered the guys. There was a shoot out. The kid is ok he’s in a secure area. Come on, and there’s a nurse who’ll lead you there.”

Murray accompanied me to the secured section of the hospital. When I arrived on the floor, I had to show a form of ID with a picture. She took a fingerprint and said that the fingerprint will be enough to get clearance from now on. When I walked into the room, my heart cried for the boy. He had so many machines in the room, and intravenous’s in both arms, he was on oxygen. I sat on one side of the bed while Murray sat on the other side.

If there is a higher power, please save this boy. He looked so helpless. My phone went off, it was my dad. “Hello Dad, …yes, I’m at the hospital now. …He doesn’t look very good. …No, the doctor hasn’t been in yet. …Yes, I’ll keep you informed of his condition…. Thanks, Dad, I love you too.”

I’m lucky to have the family I do. They have been very supportive of me.

“Brad, you want a coffee?”

“No, it’s ok. You’d have to go down to the cafeteria. It’s ok.”

Murray got up and left. In a few minutes, he came back with coffee. “Where did you get the coffee?”

“They keep a pot on this floor.”

“I thought there was to be a nurse here, 24 hours.”

“There is. She’s sitting outside. She said he’s the only patient here. They monitor all of his vitals from the desk.”

“I wish he’d open his eyes. I never got his name.”

We sat there for four hours. I didn’t see the doctor, but the nurse said he visits the first thing when he comes in and the last thing before leaving.

“I’m going to ask her if there has been any change.”

“OK, I’ll sit here and enjoy the coffee in case he wakes up.”

“Hi, I wonder if you could give me an update on your patient.”

“He appears to be resting comfortably. There has been an improvement in his breathing, but he’s still on oxygen.”

“What about the bruises?”

“How do you know about the bruises?”

“They always have them.”

“You sound like you have seen them.”

“I run Sanctuary, a home for kids from the streets, from being sold into prostitution or working for men who rent them. Society calls them the dregs of the city. But I wouldn’t trade any of them. I love them all.”

“How many are in Sanctuary?”

“Counting that young man, 198 and I have room for more. If you have time, stop by and have lunch with us. You’ll be surprised. Officer Murray can vouch for the quality of our meals.”

“What time does the doctor come around? I’d like to talk with him.”

“I’ll give you a call and let you know.”

“Thanks”

Murray and I sat in the room until early afternoon. “We should go, and I’ll come back tomorrow morning. I left a note to call me if there are any changes. Murray, can you check on who this guy is and what connections he has. I’m sure after what you and O’Shea found at his house, and his arraignment has resulted in no bail. His lawyer has to be involved. How else could someone know to go to the house? Someone is still pulling the cord as witnessed by what we saw when we arrived.”

When we left the hospital, there was a police car parked at the entrance. “Murray, I think they know who to look for. I’ll bet there were fingerprints. Can you check that? There may be more kids out there, and friends of that guy are probably involved.”

Murray dropped me off at Sanctuary. When I entered the dining hall, I stopped and hugged the kids. Then I headed to the cook shack to get a sandwich, ended up with a bowl of soup instead. I went to the infirmary to check with Amir to see if he knew the kid’s name. When I got there, Jeff was there with Amir. I sat down on the bed.

“You look tired, Brad. Anything new?”

“No change. Do you know the boy’s name?”

“No, Jabir might. I will ask him later tonight.”

“Good, how are you doing, Amir?”

“I’m feeling a lot better. Jeff and Pat are teaching me to read.”

“Great, Janine should have been here today. What did she say?”

“She told me I should try and start using the crutches. She left a pair for me to try. I used them to stand today.”

“That’s great. Once you get comfortable with the crutches, we can move you to the cocoons. I made need this bed for the boy in the hospital. But don’t worry, if you aren’t ready to move to the cocoons, I’ll put another bed in here.”

“Ok, boys, I’m going to bed. Love you, good night.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 14
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. I'm glad the kid was safe at the hospital. Great to see the police so supportive of Sanctuary.

Thanks. The  kid has a long haul before he can join Sanctuary

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, I am glad that the idiot got no bail , I also think that the lawyer is deeply involved in the slavery, the net just got wider

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The lengths the bad guys are going to ,To try and eliminate the boy this must lead to somebody really powerful and well known.The way the boys went to hug Brad it is like they fully realized that the boy in the hospital could have easily been them.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Buz said:

Maybe Brad potentially has a Nurse for Sanctuary?

Could be, I'm  sure she will be asked

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/6/2021 at 8:15 PM, Buz said:

Maybe Brad potentially has a Nurse for Sanctuary?

Just what I was thinking when Brad invited her to stop by and check them out!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..