Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,416 Words
  • 2,304 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Child's Haven - 57. Chapter 57

I ordered another Sanctuary bus since the number of kids had grown. With Tony, Aaron, and utilizing Murray, I had enough drivers for four buses. The rest of the week was occupied with spending time with the kids, ordering shoes, shorts, t-shirts, hats, swim suits, and a nice change of clothes for the evening for our vacation. My mom came in with one of the seamstresses to measure the boys and check on their sizes. Some of the kids who have grown could pass their clothes down the line. I had Lester come and measure for sneakers. All of this going on, none of the kids asked why.

Tony had finally obtained a place where we could take the kids. What started as seven days ended up being ten days. The island had a large guest house surrounded by cabins that slept 4. It couldn’t have been better. We would fly to an airport close to the island and then take a boat to the island. I asked Murray and O’Shea if they would like to go as security. They asked if they could take their wives, which I agreed to as long, they wouldn’t mind helping Mario with the cooking. Abe said he would stay since there would be a lot of construction going on.

Mom ordered the new clothes; she coordinated with Lester and had new sneakers for each child. Based on the waist size, she had bought a bathing suit for them as well. She also bought each child a new suitcase for their clothes. I told her when the plane was leaving so she could meet us there with their luggage. All that was left was for Tony, Aaron, and me to pack. The night before we were to leave, I had our luggage put into the bus’s baggage carrier. Murray and O’Shea brought their luggage over as well. In the morning at breakfast, I told the kids we’re going on a trip, and I’d appreciate them dressing nicely and meet me at the buses in 30 minutes. I don’t think the dining hall emptied so fast. I already had spoken to Mrs. Jenkins and Mrs. Chester, giving everyone a paid vacation. I called my security company and arranged for 24-hour security while we were gone.

As soon as I saw the kids coming, I started my bus. Tony and Aaron followed suit. When Murray and O’Shea arrived, they introduced their wives to Tony, Aaron, and I. Murray started his bus, the kids boarded the buses in a very orderly manner. Of course, Bubba and Pat wanted to know where we were going. I just kept telling them it’s a surprise. It wasn’t long before we approached the airport entrance for private planes.

I looked into the mirror, and the expressions on the kid’s faces were priceless. An officer who was a friend of Murray’s directed us to a hangar where we would leave the buses. As I got off the bus, the Officer indicated where our plane was parked, and when I looked, I saw my mom with a dolly loaded with suitcases. As the kids got out of the buses, “I want you all to stay together. Follow me to where my mother is standing.”

They walked as if they were zombies. No emotions and what I suspect maybe a little scared. When we approached my mom, I called Beth to come forward. “Beth, we’re going on a 10-day vacation. I need you to call each kid, give them their suitcase, and tell them to board the plane. Tony and Aaron are there to help them.”

The boarding went very smoothly. The kids still looked at all of this as it was a dream. Once everyone was on board, “We’ll be going to an island where we’ll stay for ten days. You can swim, fish or just lay around in the sun. Now I’d like you to buckle your belt and get ready to fly away on holiday.”

It’s always interesting to watch the kids on their first plane ride. But the fun wasn’t over yet. They still had a boat ride coming up.

After we got at cruising altitude, the cabin crew offered milk, juice, and water, along with a snack box that contains a small sandwich, some cookies, and a small bag of peanuts. They turned down the lights and, dropping a screen, started a movie. I had preselected a funny movie to get them relaxed and in a happy mood. I could hear their laughter from where I sat. I looked at Tony and Aaron, and they were enjoying themselves as well. About an hour before landing, the kids were offered another snack pack, only this time there was a large sandwich, a piece of fruit, and a bag of peanuts. They gave the kids a choice of juice, milk, or water. This took their mind off of the landing process. There was a little gasp as we touched down, but there was a lot of laughter also. “Please stay in your seats till we turn off the seat belt sign.”

When the plane stopped, Tony went upfront. As soon as the buses were here, he told us we could deplane. The kids got their suitcases and walked down the flight stairs. Tony met them and guided them to the right bus. Once everyone was on the buses, Bubba and Pat made it so they would sit close to me. “Dad, where are we going?”

“For a boat ride”

I think not telling the kids would be a bigger surprise, and evidently, I thought correctly. If I told you that 253 kids could keep quiet and behave like little angels, you’d never believe it. But that’s exactly as it happened. When we got to the boat dock, Tony had arranged for three boats to take us to the island. In an orderly file, the kids boarded the boats. Murray, his wife, and Aaron went on the first boat. The second boat was O’Shea, and his wife and I went on the third boat along with Bubba and Pat. “Dad, where are we, and what’s this all about?”

“We’re going to an island for ten days. This is the promise vacation that I made a while back. You guys can swim, fish, explore, and have a good time. Forget about everything and be a kid again. I know that’s what I’m going to do.”

You could see the smiles on the kids’ faces as we neared the docks. One of the boats would stay here to give the older kids a chance to do some deep-sea fishing. The younger kids could fish off the dock, which I’d do. There were smiles in every direction we looked. Since Tony had made the arrangements, he had the layout of the island. He decided where the kids would stay. The main building would house the girls and Murray and O’Shea’s wives. The boys and the other men were assigned to the cottages. Once everyone was settled in, they all met at the beach in their swim gear. One of the boats came back with two swimming instructors and two more security personal. Tony met them and confirmed their names. Walking over to the other adults, Tony introduced them to us. “I’m glad to meet you, and I hope this becomes a vacation for you as well.”

I watched the kids play on the beach. Some of them ventured into the water, those that could swim did, the others just frolicked in the small waves as they hit the beach. It wasn’t too long before the excitement of the trip, the water, and the smell of the sea caught up to them. You could see that they were tired.

“I think we should go and take a nap before dinner. You’ll all need to take a shower to wash off the sand before lying down. We should walk around the island to ensure there’s no way for someone to land here without us knowing. Murray, you and O’Shea stay here, one of the security men will come with me, and the other will go with Tony. Will head in opposite directions, and let’s see what we’ll find.”

We left, and after walking about a mile, we met together at the exact opposite end of where we started. Noting that it’d be difficult for someone to sneak onto the island, particularly from this coast, we walked back toward the camping area.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

They will definitely remember this vacation. You said you wrote this years ago was this before 9/11?I'm curious what arrangements Brad would have to do with passports etc.Even an private charter could have a lot of tape these days. Oh did Sandy go?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

With the history of the kiddos being transported and not being told where they were going, I have to wonder if Brad keeping the trip a "secret" was in their best interest or raised their anxiety levels beyond measure. I would probably say the latter since the silence was mentioned. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

They will definitely remember this vacation. You said you wrote this years ago was this before 9/11?I'm curious what arrangements Brad would have to do with passports etc.Even an private charter could have a lot of tape these days. Oh did Sandy go?

I wrote this story after 911.  I was working in Holland when 911 happened. But I wrote the story as I wished it happened. Therefore I did not get involved in the 911 resulting restrictions and procedures that now exist . Brad chartered the plane and I'm not sure if one would have got got through all of the current boarding procedures for a private jet .l When I was privileged to use a private jet, there wasn't any restrictions once I proved who I was.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Chris L said:

With the history of the kiddos being transported and not being told where they were going, I have to wonder if Brad keeping the trip a "secret" was in their best interest or raised their anxiety levels beyond measure. I would probably say the latter since the silence was mentioned. 

I'm not sure what Brad had in mind. I know when I took my children any where and didn't tell them, they had confidence in me that it would be fun and something they would enjoy. We would play a game, I was to give them a hint and they would guess. What Bread did would only work if the kids trusted him. Having Tony and the security detail, helped.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, a seaside holiday that everyone will really see enjoy and remember for a very long time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, a seaside holiday that everyone will really see enjoy and remember for a very long time.

Yes, I'm envious. How about you?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Absolutely envious 😊

Ditto... I'll have a session with the hunky swimming instructors... I can swim but not that strong... Never been one for sunning myself, window shopping yes  the talent available. Hell even as a little one I was window shopping the hunky daddies around me int he trunks.

I am totally envious here... My family were all miners and never had the opportunity to go abroad. A yearly trip to Skegness, with a week in a drafty caravan was as good as we got, but I remember everyone of them. Right down to mum loving to sit in the amusement arcade playing bingo which usually meant I stayed with her. now I know it was because her cancer was knocking her for six but as kids we never knew. Holidays were never the same when we lost her... Then they just stopped. These kids are, so lucky.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am fully enjoying this wonderful story and each morning  one of my first activities Is reading the next installment. The  love being expressed is incredible and the kids are blossoming. Brad is a visionary and Sanctuary effectively addresses the need of these vulnerable children.

However Brad is unemployed and whatever idea he has he is able to realize. What is the source of his finances?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ditto... I'll have a session with the hunky swimming instructors... I can swim but not that strong... Never been one for sunning myself, window shopping yes  the talent available. Hell even as a little one I was window shopping the hunky daddies around me int he trunks.

I am totally envious here... My family were all miners and never had the opportunity to go abroad. A yearly trip to Skegness, with a week in a drafty caravan was as good as we got, but I remember everyone of them. Right down to mum loving to sit in the amusement arcade playing bingo which usually meant I stayed with her. now I know it was because her cancer was knocking her for six but as kids we never knew. Holidays were never the same when we lost her... Then they just stopped. These kids are, so lucky.

I can relate to your story. We never had a vacation as a kid. The best we had was a day trip visiting relatives . My first vacation was after I graduated from college, and then it was a trip home. We share a lot, my mother also had cancer which finally claimed her life, but I was older when that occurred.  My friends went on vacation and would talk about it. For some reason, I wasn't jealous. I had my books and they took me places 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I am fully enjoying this wonderful story and each morning  one of my first activities Is reading the next installment. The  love being expressed is incredible and the kids are blossoming. Brad is a visionary and Sanctuary effectively addresses the need of these vulnerable children.

However Brad is unemployed and whatever idea he has he is able to realize. What is the source of his finances?

Brad is a very fortunate young man. He has a trust fund that his parents set up for him. He has a college fund that he hasn't exhausted and funds from suing these men who have abused the young kids, go into Salvation accounts and the kids trust fund.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Just wondering how many kids will be waiting at the gates when they get back. Anyone there if more turn up looking for sanctuary? Apart from Abe band security.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Paqman said:

Just wondering how many kids will be waiting at the gates when they get back. Anyone there if more turn up looking for sanctuary? Apart from Abe band security.

There are guards there with instructions if a kid should show up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/13/2021 at 7:24 AM, Chris L said:

With the history of the kiddos being transported and not being told where they were going, I have to wonder if Brad keeping the trip a "secret" was in their best interest or raised their anxiety levels beyond measure. I would probably say the latter since the silence was mentioned. 

I agree, but they’ve also developed a sense of trust in Brad and the others to take care of them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Atlast vacation on a secluded island. Three sss for the kids to enjoy see sand and son🌞🏖🏡🏄‍♂️🏄‍♀️🌊

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..