World Clock

I wonder if that "World Clock" even accounts for the fact that even the rates themselves are variable and can't be predicted at all. Those stats are all fine and dandy but what about the things we don't know about? People die everyday from many things, including things that this calculator doesn't account for. Additionally, the number of barrels of oil mined each day fluctuates for any number of reasons, such a climate, equipment failure, harsh regions, etc. All things that can't be predicted.

What I'm saying is that, egregious though these stats may be, they must be taken with a grain of salt.

I wonder if that "World Clock" even accounts for the fact that even the rates themselves are variable and can't be predicted at all. Those stats are all fine and dandy but what about the things we don't know about? People die everyday from many things, including things that this calculator doesn't account for. Additionally, the number of barrels of oil mined each day fluctuates for any number of reasons, such a climate, equipment failure, harsh regions, etc. All things that can't be predicted.

What I'm saying is that, egregious though these stats may be, they must be taken with a grain of salt.

I also have some reserve to those stats. Ya, I'm sure it's about right in overall but say the death and the birth count. I'm sure it's not that much regular. Things do fluctuate.

The stats described here, tho, must give a good ball park, a good estimate, of the actual stats

There's no way it could be 100% accurate. I would never suggest otherwise. The stats are still staggering nonetheless.

They're just based on statistics... Average rates, rates of change, fluctuations, inflation, etc. I'm sure that things like accidents, variations in location and population density, increases / decreases, and other year to year, day to day differences.

I found it quite illuminating, thanks for sharing it!

Matt

Well, it's certainly interesting watching the numbers change, but even the authors advise the data is only approximations and their sources might be contradictory.

Given the location of this nifty graphic, it's not surprising some of this information is eye-opening, if not scary. After all, it's meant to be. If you get scared enough, maybe you'll buy a DVD or even a book.

But, thanks for sharing. Sometimes we need to be reminded we're the only ones who can save ourselves. :(

• 2 years later...

Interesting - I did the "life expectancy test" part of the same website..... somehow I am to live to 91...... I have a feeling that this is slightly optimistic!

otherwise, interesting site. For those hung up on "accuracy" it does give the basis for it's calculations, and as far as I can see, does admit that these are estimates based on known data. obvioulsy the unknown is not included!

• Site Administrator

Would have been interesting to do a screen capture two and half years ago when Tiger originally posted this. Curious if the numbers come up the same whenever you access the webpage.

Interesting - I did the "life expectancy test" part of the same website..... somehow I am to live to 91...... I have a feeling that this is slightly optimistic!

otherwise, interesting site. For those hung up on "accuracy" it does give the basis for it's calculations, and as far as I can see, does admit that these are estimates based on known data. obvioulsy the unknown is not included!

I did that test as well. It said I'll live to 87.5 years... I'm not really sure how accurate this test is. The numbers of the clock-thing are quite shocking :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...