Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Have you been sailing?

I haven't read all of the story yet so I don't want to spoil it by going into your other threads :). I'm at the beginning to Master and Commander. Great stories by the way Mark.

Have you guys been sailing?

Have you Mark?

I once went through the Bay of Biscay on a little sailing yacht (there was 12 of us crammed on board). I was horribly seasick! and we didn't even go through the middle of it, our skipper was kind to us :). I was taking part in the what is called The Tall Ships Race.

Obama has just got the Nobel peach prize -- well, they also got it not too long ago. They've been running for over 50 years now.

There were some really old and massive old ships taking part, and I got to see them in what I suppose you could refer to as a fleet. It was amazing seeing them all at sail across the sea (about 150). with guys hanging off the masts in the parade of sail.

anyway, the bay of biscay is notorious for bad weather :). then I had to endure freakish lightening storms in the channel.

celia

I went on a cruise several years ago. It was a cruise to Cozumel and some hot spots in the Yucatan like Playa del Carmen. It was a great trip. There were no sails, so I don't know if that counts or not. 0:)

I went on a cruise several years ago. It was a cruise to Cozumel and some hot spots in the Yucatan like Playa del Carmen. It was a great trip. There were no sails, so I don't know if that counts or not. 0:)

where's that?

:)

Cozumel is off the Mexican coast almost opposite Cancun.

I've done a whole bunch of cruises (20+) on big ships, and did some sailing when I was a kid, mostly in the San Francisco Bay.

I never been on a cruise ship, yet anyway.

Sailing isn't for me. At least the bad seas aren't for me. It was very good fun though, at least the times in port with all the other young people. I did it twice. And both times while on board I was cursing to myself about why did I ever think this was a good fun idea, and that I would never ever ever do this again.

-that time in the Biscay we'd just started so I'd forgotten what it was like at sea. and we were in a storm in the middle of the night. it was raining, and we also had waves washing over us while I was trying to eat pasta (and keep it down) - but I kept getting "added salt" in my bowl. that is while the boat was propped up half on it's side (well not quite). the waves were massive. later our stupid watch leader/(forgot title, but one below skipper) had us keep switching the front sails (the guy was incompetent), so soaking wet bobbing up and down manically on the front of the boat as it crashed the waves and having to lean over as far as I could manage without falling in to desperately pull the sail in as it came down so it didn't go in the water.

it was beautiful though when the weather was gorgeous. I'm amazed that the guys in your stories haven't gone swimming at all :). though I didn't plenty of the others did. especially once when we got stuck with no wind and our yacht just kept turning circles. or times in port when we slept on the deck.

the stars were amazing too. I'd never seen shooting stars till then. and then I saw loads when I was having to do some of the night watches.

to add to the old large ships, there was also a modern warship that was the radio control that was amazing. I still remember crossing the finish line where that was and with this helicopter going over head.

I really recommend it to anyone who gets a chance.

You don't have to have sailing experience. I didn't, that and I got a place that was very cheap!! there are even scholarships/bursaries and such.

here's some info about it

http://www.sailtraininginternational.org/page.asp?PartID=55&depth=1

http://www.tallshipsraces.org/

these photo's are from La Coruna the year they had their 50th anniversary. I was there; it was a great time.

http://www.sailtraininginternational.org/page.asp?eventID=525&btnSubmit.x=19&btnSubmit.y=11&isSubmitted=1&partID=20

(I think I remembered wrong. they didn't get the nobel peace prize, but they were nominated for it) - people from all sorts of nations take part, it really is a fantastic event to be apart of. :P and lots of sailors in uniform.

Edited by Smarties

I've sailed, mainly Lake Ontario, in sail boats up to 36 foot. I've sailed on smaller lakes in a Sunfish, including Rehoboth Bay. Oh, and I've sailed in the outer banks in a catamaran. I love being on the water, just hearing the wind and the boat going through the waves.

I really enjoy the parts of Mark's stories when Granger's ship at sea or they're setting the sails.

Edited by amBIguoustwo

When my father was alive we used to go on holiday to a place called Fishguard in West Wales. It's where the ferries go to Ireland. We made friends with a fisherman and he used to take us fishing in a tiny little sail boat. In the beginning it was really fun... until he started thinking of us less as visitors and more as fellow fisherman and he took us out in worse and worse weather further and further out to sea. I still shudder at the though of the last time we went. Waves twice as big as the boat, lobsters snapping about in the bottom of the boat. My father was too ill to go by then so it was just me and my husband. I will never forget sitting in the boat upright, staring straight ahead... at the sky. *shudder*. My father died not long after and we never went back. I sometimes wonder about that fisherman... but I'm in no hurry to go out in the boat with him again :)

I've sailed, mainly Lake Ontario, in sail boats up to 36 foot. I've sailed on smaller lakes in a Sunfish, including Rehoboth Bay. Oh, and I've sailed in the outer banks in a catamaran. I love being on the water, just hearing the wind and the boat going through the waves.

I really enjoy the parts of Mark's stories when Granger's ship at sea or they're setting the sails.

yeah that's what I like too :). remembering my experiences and how they match up.

-that sounds horrific Nephylim!

--I was just reading one of the chapters and the bit about the kings toast reminds me of something too. I suppose you american's won't be used to this. in fact I don't think most people in england are used to it either. but at uni while we had our 'formal' dinners (basically a good, but cheap, meal and an excuse to dress up and get silly drunk) we would toast the queen as part of the proceedings. it was only then that the lads would be allowed to remove their jackets. and the toast would be near the end of the dinner as well after the speeches.

it was pompous and silly but some took it very seriously. It's not something I'm going to be doing in my own home. but I suppose I will find it in other places if I ever get on the career ladder or go to fancy dinners with 'important' people.

and I've just thought of another :D

while at uni I was working in a 'society', running it.

god it was awkward - there was this girl who just liked to piss everyone off, but thought she was wonderful.

anyway, I read an article about prince harry using facebook, and I commented on it in the meeting idly before we started. I hadn't meant to sound like I was snubbing him or anything, at the time I just hadn't considered that they of course would do that too. so yeah, I think it came out sounding wrong. only for that damn girl to turn to one of the other guys (who was great actually, a loveable guy and friend) and ask him how Harry was, had he enjoyed it when he had last visited the uni to see his friend. -- I'd stupidly forgotten he'd gone to school with him. so I was told they are people too :).

so yeah, that moment in your story in India where those captains are gossiping about court - how I felt a bit :).

Edited by Smarties

Ah, yes, toasting the Queen. My parents emigrated from Canada to US after World War II. Whenever God Save the Queen was played, they instantly stopped what they were doing. I frequently reminded them that a consequence of the revolutionary war is that we don't have to stop what we're doing every time the song plays.

My father belonged to a men's dining club in Ontario and at gentlemen's dinner the toast was offered. This would be in the 1960s and 70s.

Bryan

Sailing is great. There is so much to learn being on the water. In the Coast Guard we made a cruise to Bermuda from New England. My first night out I learned I could not sleep on my side, or I would end up on the deck, and I was three bunks high. So I learned to sleep on my back or stomach.

It was great on Ocean Station for a month between Greenland and Canada. Snowed everyday. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif In a storm, being in the forward birthing compartment the bow of the 311 ft ship would dip under the waves and the water rushing above our heads would lull us to sleep. Of course it also kept a few awake that would fear that the ship would not rise again. sad.gif The worse thing on that station was that ice would accumulate on the outside deck, rails and ladders.tongue.gif

Also I learn quickly when I would jump out of my bunk to time the ship going up and down, because the deck would be rising and falling 8 to 10 feet. It was 5ft high to begin with so if the ship just started down it could be like jumping off a garage roof without expecting to fall that far. Or the opposite, expecting to drop 5 ft. and it only being 1 ft.

wub.gif

That's really interesting. Beyond military circles, I would be surprised to hear someone toasting the Queen.

tbh, I've no idea really what the etiquette is. That uni is one of the old ones and there are some old fashioned stuff still going on there. not as bad as oxbridge though - a lot more modern than that! I've heard some really stupid stories of the sort of attitudes and practices they have there, and as much as it is supposed to be a great place to study, I am really glad that I didn't go there, it would have been a nightmare.

for example, even the simple stuff. I forget which college it was but a friend told me that their tutors expected their essays to be handwritten, and was being really rude about it and basically dismissed them. of course wearing the gowns as well. that's ridiculous. if I had even attempted to hand something in by hand they wouldn't have marked it at my uni.

then there is the stuff about their accommodation.

without giving away publicly which my uni was (you can PM me if you want), but in some parts gowns were still worn by the lecturers, and students at other 'formals' had to wear them as well. and they had formals twice a week whereas we (my college) only had them 2 0r 3 times a term. basically I am trying to say parts of it are still very rich and pompous, living in the older days. there is a very high percentage of public school students at the uni, much much higher than at other uni's which influences it still. that's where the queen's toast comes in I think.

---that sounds weird sailing in snow!

but I know what you mean about the sleeping. on my boat we had these material thing that were attached to the bunk and you could tie to the top - most often I was sleeping on that as the boat was tilted over. and imagine cooking! eurgh, it just made me seasick being inside and in enclosed spaces if I wasn't careful. the cooker though was on this pivot thing so that as the boat rocked it moved level. I was really glad I didn't sleep at the front cabin though, they called it the washing machine as it would roll around the most. I did learn to appreciate the movement when sleeping, just if I was concentrating on something else it would throw me.

That's really interesting. Beyond military circles, I would be surprised to hear someone toasting the Queen.

families did it at christmas at least as well. after the monarch's speech.

I spent my formative years living on an inland lake, I had several sailboats throughout that time. I love sailing, I wish I had the resources to get a boat and spend some serious time at it. I would love to have a small, two man racer, there's nothing like getting a good full sail in a high wind and running so hard you have to hike out on the side of the boat to keep it upright. It doesn't hurt to have a hot sidekick running the jib either.

I also spent 18 months (not all at once) at sea in the Navy, I've literally been around the world. The most impactful and fun (looking back) time in my life.

I spent my formative years living on an inland lake, I had several sailboats throughout that time. I love sailing, I wish I had the resources to get a boat and spend some serious time at it. I would love to have a small, two man racer, there's nothing like getting a good full sail in a high wind and running so hard you have to hike out on the side of the boat to keep it upright. It doesn't hurt to have a hot sidekick running the jib either.

I also spent 18 months (not all at once) at sea in the Navy, I've literally been around the world. The most impactful and fun (looking back) time in my life.

I once considered the navy for that reason. that and they would have paid my medical tuition. but both those options weren't for me. but the travelling thing definitely was. still is. I'm currently trying to find a job/career that can give me that. when I used to do the smaller lake sailing I used to love hanging of the side too, it was a great thrill :D.

Edited by Smarties

Mark, or whoever, how did all the other seamen on the boats sleep? was it hammocks, or whatever space they could find, or did they have rooms too?

I was just thinking of the time I sailed with the Tall Ships. There was this other smallish yacht from Poland and inside it there was no separate rooms at all I don't think. at least they all slept in the same room in hammocks that swung. they didn't even have a head (loo), it was a bucket or over the side. they took the race very seriously, so everything was about making them as light as possible. (they were docked next to us, and at one of the crew parties one of the poles got me seriously and dangerously drunk for the 1st time - I was 17 and agreed to do what he said they do in poland with friends - vodka shots between drinks - and so I was smashed as he drank fast! That's the worst I have ever been, and ever will be :) Ironically, it was also near the end of my trip and I'd decided I needed to lay of the alcohol that night)

Edited by Smarties

Mark, or whoever, how did all the other seamen on the boats sleep? was it hammocks, or whatever space they could find, or did they have rooms too?

I was just thinking of the time I sailed with the Tall Ships. There was this other smallish yacht from Poland and inside it there was no separate rooms at all I don't think. at least they all slept in the same room in hammocks that swung. they didn't even have a head (loo), it was a bucket or over the side. they took the race very seriously, so everything was about making them as light as possible. (they were docked next to us, and at one of the crew parties one of the poles got me seriously and dangerously drunk for the 1st time - I was 17 and agreed to do what he said they do in poland with friends - vodka shots between drinks - and so I was smashed as he drank fast! That's the worst I have ever been, and ever will be :) Ironically, it was also near the end of my trip and I'd decided I needed to lay of the alcohol that night)

The men slept in hammocks slung on the gun and orlop decks. They were allowed less than two feet per man, but in reality there were two watches, so they ended up with twice that. Officers had cots. Cabins, such as they were, were partitioned off with light wood and/or canvas because it all had to be taken down and stowed below when the ship cleared for action. That would include any furnishings. Intrepid is a flush decked sloop, so her gun deck is on the upper deck. They wouldn't have had to clear all the stuff away below when they went into battle.

When my dad was alone at his lake he decided to build a sail boat, he's a handy man type dad. So he Built a Boat and i got to sail in it once. Since he can't see now very good he can't take me.

It's a Great boat for fishing and having a ton of people on, becuase it's made of wood, so sinking is well...impossible!! haha

The men slept in hammocks slung on the gun and orlop decks. They were allowed less than two feet per man, but in reality there were two watches, so they ended up with twice that. Officers had cots. Cabins, such as they were, were partitioned off with light wood and/or canvas because it all had to be taken down and stowed below when the ship cleared for action. That would include any furnishings. Intrepid is a flush decked sloop, so her gun deck is on the upper deck. They wouldn't have had to clear all the stuff away below when they went into battle.

so the gun deck takes over all the space? is that why they have to move the cots etc? as the guns will be rolled out and be there instead, or something like that?

and have you any idea where the term 'head' came from? I remember being very surprised to find that odd name when I went on-board.

thanks for the info,

celia

so the gun deck takes over all the space? is that why they have to move the cots etc? as the guns will be rolled out and be there instead, or something like that?

and have you any idea where the term 'head' came from? I remember being very surprised to find that odd name when I went on-board.

thanks for the info,

celia

It depends on the ship. The guns were large, an 18 pounder weighed over a ton. Here's a layout of the HMS Trincomalee Gundeck . She is a frigate, although more modern than any that Granger would encounter at this point. She wasn't launched until 1817. Most frigates of his era would have had guns in the Captain's cabin. Here are some pics of HMS Victory Lower Gundeck to give you a better feel. In addition to these two historic British vessels, there's also HMS Unicorn. If you live anywhere near one of them, I highly recommend that you go visit one.

The term "head" comes from the original location of the toilets on these ships. They were located in the front of the ship behind the figurehead.

It depends on the ship. The guns were large, an 18 pounder weighed over a ton. Here's a layout of the HMS Trincomalee Gundeck . She is a frigate, although more modern than any that Granger would encounter at this point. She wasn't launched until 1817. Most frigates of his era would have had guns in the Captain's cabin. Here are some pics of HMS Victory Lower Gundeck to give you a better feel. In addition to these two historic British vessels, there's also HMS Unicorn. If you live anywhere near one of them, I highly recommend that you go visit one.

The term "head" comes from the original location of the toilets on these ships. They were located in the front of the ship behind the figurehead.

thanks again.

It just happens that I have access to all three of those places, so maybe I will. I have been on old ships before, but a long time ago now. My brother is in Dundee at the moment, and my sister in Portsmouth, while I have contacts in the north-east having lived there myself for a time, though not near all the horrible chemical and industrial mess, thank god.

Of the three, HMS Victory will be the most meaningful. It truly is one of Britain's greatest treasures. You'll be able to see where Nelson was killed as he led the fleet to victory at Trafalgar. It's a moving experience.

That's my sister then, and I'm more likely to go visit her. I was probably around the corner from it numerous times a month ago while I was there helping her sell her business. I take it you've been there. Sadly my history really is lacking for that period, my schools really did let me down. we never studied it at all. or maybe I was just unlucky. all we ever seemed to study was the damned Tudors. but I do know the famous landmarks in London :), been there many times. Have you been to the war museum in london? I went when I was younger but it was amazing, I bet they've got loads there that would interest you. My mum and dad used to drag us round museums and the like all the time when we were younger, but I've not really done that much since then (apart from when I was in europe), so I should probably force myself to start going again, there are loads of amazing stuff around me, plenty of things worth visiting more than once.

thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

That's my sister then, and I'm more likely to go visit her. I was probably around the corner from it numerous times a month ago while I was there helping her sell her business. I take it you've been there. Sadly my history really is lacking for that period, my schools really did let me down. we never studied it at all. or maybe I was just unlucky. all we ever seemed to study was the damned Tudors. but I do know the famous landmarks in London :), been there many times. Have you been to the war museum in london? I went when I was younger but it was amazing, I bet they've got loads there that would interest you. My mum and dad used to drag us round museums and the like all the time when we were younger, but I've not really done that much since then (apart from when I was in europe), so I should probably force myself to start going again, there are loads of amazing stuff around me, plenty of things worth visiting more than once.

thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

I haven't been to the war museum, but I would love to go. I'm glad I could help. You have some amazing history right underneath your feet.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..