Your favourite pictures of the universe

I adore astronomy. I love to look at pictures, understand whats going on and just attempt to realize the enormity of what i am seeing. It's just so fascinating.

[And what makes it better, is knowing (or at least im very very certain) that Allah, Yahweh, or Jesus didn't design it all with some higher plan or something in mind--but thats not the purpose of this thread, settle down apologists]

Here are some of my favourites. I wont post too many!

Carina Nebula

carina_hst.jpg

Dumbbell nebula

M27_Dumbbell_Nebula.sized.jpg

The sombrero galaxy

sombrero_galaxy_big.jpg

These are a few of my favourite pictures....

The Horse Head Nebula horse-head-nebula1.jpg

The Helix Nebula

HelixNebula-HST.jpg

The NGC 2467 nebula

heic1012a.jpg

stellar spire in the Eagle Nebula

20090619174036!Stellar_spire_eagle_nebula.jpg

The Antennae Galaxies

antennae_galaxies_xl.jpg

The Universe is something I'm fascinated with, so I'll try not to hog this page with all my favourites :P

Edited by Bumblebee

LMC55mmLRGB.jpg

Large Magellanic Cloud

SMC55mmLRGB.jpg

Small Magellanic Cloud

These are two small "satellite galaxies" to the Milky Way that can only be seen "down under" (the Southern hemisphere).

Tarantula_Nebula.jpg

Trarantula Nebula in the LMC

m31_oregon.gif

M31 or the Andromeda Galaxy is a spiral galaxy that textbooks have used for generations as an example of what the Milky Way probably looks like.

ngc1300_hst.jpg

More recent findings suggest that our galaxy probably looks more like NGC 1300, a barred spiral galaxy.

orionwide_tljj_big.jpg

This is a wide field view of the Great Nebulea in Orion which is composed of several overlapping objects with distinct Messier and NGC numbers. If you look closely, you can see the Horsehead Nebula in the bottom left side of the picture. The Horsehead is actually a dust cloud sitting between our view and the bright background of the rest of the nebula. These dust clouds are where new star systems form.

pleiades_andreo_big.jpg

There are few objects more beautiful than the Seven Sisters or the Pleiades Cluster in Taurus. It is a cluster of a number of blue stars with an HII nebula close by.

northpelican_russell_big.jpg

A wide field shot which shows features of the North American and Pelican Nebulea.

eagle-nebula.jpg

The "Pillars of Creation" in M16 or the Eagle Nebula are an excellent example of a area where star formation is ongoing.

I have so many that it's a little ridiclous. I guess that's just what you get for being a faithful APOD checker for 3+ years.

Some recent favourites.

LagoonClose_hst_c0.jpg

Hubble's Lagoon

sdoEquinox_0171_c900.jpg

Equinox and the Iron Sun

vela_lorenzi_c0.jpg

Vela Supernova Remnant

30doradus_eso.jpg

Tentacles of the Tarantula Nebula

I'll just leave it at that for now :)

Soup, whats the first one of?

I adore it--but i like to know whats going on in the picture too!

No problemo, here you go:

APOD: 2 October 2010 - Hubble's Lagoon

Hubble's Lagoon

Credit: NASA, ESA, Hubble Space Telescope

Explanation: Like brush strokes on a canvas, ridges of color seem to flow across this scene. But here, the canvas is nearly 3 light-years wide and the colors map emission from ionized gas in the Lagoon Nebula, recorded by the Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys. Also known as M8, the nebula is a star forming region about 5,000 light-years distant in the constellation Sagittarius. Hubble's remarkably sharp, close-up view reveals undulating shapes sculpted by the energetic light and winds from the region's new born stars. Of course, the Lagoon nebula is a popular target for earthbound skygazers, too. It features a prominent dust lane and bright hourglass shape in small telescopes with wider fields of view.

• 4 weeks later...

I find these pictures of space - especially the colourful nebulae, very stunningly beautiful.

Even if I see a very high resolution picture of, perhaps, Jupiter or Saturn, it is very intriguing to look at all the complexities of those planets.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly certain that the pillars of creation in the M16 nebula no longer exist. I remember reading an article that there was a nearby star which had gone supernova, and effectively obliterated the "brad pitt" of nebulae so to speak :P

edit: Ahh yes, found the article,

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10925-pillars-of-creation-destroyed-by-supernova.html

Edited by Skyline

I'm fairly certain that the pillars of creation in the M16 nebula no longer exist. I remember reading an article that there was a nearby star which had gone supernova, and effectively obliterated the "brad pitt" of nebulae so to speak :P

The pillars are still there from our vantage point but shock waves and solar winds are blowing them away- but slowly.

They are light years in dimension but it takes a very long time.

Eagle Nebula

The longest of the 'Pillars' is seven light years long, and because of their massive density interior gasses contract gravitationally to form stars. At each 'pillars' end, the intense radiation of bright young stars causes low density material to boil away, leaving stellar nurseries of dense EGGs exposed. Due to the huge distance between us (approximately 7000 light years), the Pillars of Creation may already be gone, and instead a stellar star nursery could have taken its place. In early 2007, scientists using the Spitzer discovered evidence that potentially indicates that the Pillars were destroyed by a nearby supernova explosion about 6,000 years ago, but the light showing the new shape of the nebula will not reach Earth for another millennium.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite pictures are here already!! :D

So, i'll just name them.. :D

The Helix Nebula, The Sombrero Galaxy, The Pillars of Creation and The rings of Saturn... I'm kinda surprised no one else said that yet!!

p.s. I tried to add pics.. and it didn't work :(