What is your least favorite word?

The one word I have always hated is "plough" when being used as a euphemism for sex, as in "plough her furrow".

I just want to reach for the nearest bucket and hurl.

Irregardless: NOT A WORD STOP SAYING IT!

Fabulous: I just find it to be an annoying word. Maybe because some obnoxious girl I knew in junior high used it all the freaking time.

Elite: I say, stop being a snob or prove it.

I Hate the word " stupid ", especially when someone is referring to another person. I want to as my mom used to say, but never did, " backhand them into yesterday". It is degrading, and can make an already insecure person even more so. If I hear someone calling someone stupid, to their face, or just talking about them to a friend, I do not hesitate to say, " Do not call anyone stupid." It just makes me want to scream.

I really have a problem with the expletive C word that is prevalent with younger people in this country. I am not sure if this is so much the case in other parts of the world, but it was always the hideous cuss word in my opinion and serves no purpose other than to berate or belittle someone. Hearing it used so freely really makes my skin crawl.

I guess that while we may tolerate a swear word now and then, most of us cringe at the profound or continual use of profanity, or at least I'd like to think of this being the case.

So if I am to consider words within the English language that I don't really like, hmmm, I'm not really sure.

Macabre maybe?

But if there is one thing that I really dislike, it is the way that 'Text Talk' is creeping into our language more and more.

LOL, ROFL, LMAO, FML, BRB..... the list goes on and on.

It's one thing to use them in chat rooms or a text message, but when they start to appear in my emails, letters and stories I do mutter to myself.

• Like 1

Oooo you old stick-in-the-mud. I bet you were sucking Werthers' Originals when you typed that :P Here's another I don't like. It's a product name rather than a word but even so ...

-Germaloids-

• Like 1

LMAO Z, I dnt believe tht u posted tht ! I snds nasty 2 me !

This is how the kids on my network talk to each other on MY email system. I haven't found the option to enforce strict grammar, I thought it was teachers.....

As for horrible product names ? Preparation H it's just nasty !

Posted Image Zombie your spying on me! Posted Image

It was one of the new soft toffee centred ones too! Posted Image

haha

Argh Mike, hit the nail on the head! Posted Image I got a mate who signs of M477h3W Posted Image How 4773 is equal to a t t e to complete Matthew I have no idea!

Guess it is a sign of old age! Posted Image Did I just admit that??????? Posted Image

Oh and if we are going to be talking about product names its got to be Cilit Bang!!!!

Edited by Yettie One
  • Like 1

Also i find the sound of the word "kiss" strangely nasty. I have to get over this. Have to.

Yes indeedy you do Lily. I mean c'mon, look at the alternative *eeeeek Posted Image* ... snog!

Kiss? Or snog!

It's a no brainer *heheh*

• Like 1

'Merde' ! in English : Shit !

For me, it's an interjection I use too often and too much .

As a slang term, it has many meanings, but I use it mostly as an expression of annoyance, surprise or anger, for example when I slap on the wrist with my hammer instead of typing on the nail Posted Image .

Edited by old bob
  • 1 month later...

The word "faggot". Every time I see it, it gives off the impression that being gay is wrong (which obviously isn't true).

i hate that word to. and the way its used its just so hateful i get all tingly when someone calls me a fag i just want to punch him out but i know im better then that Posted Image

I suspect 'faggot' - like 'queer' when used in a derogatory and discriminating fashion - is one of those words which have been 'claimed back' (says he, now counting the number of single-quoted words used so far...) For me, it has different emotives than for a post-2000 generation.

As to worms which make me cringe? Gravid is one when used to describe a pregnant woman. Thankfully old-fashioned, it sometimes appears in 'literary' material.

Well, depending on the context and intent, I may dislike a word. But really disliking a word generally? That sounds too much to me, and no, I don't really have any word that I can say I'd dislike hearing all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my least favorite words starts with a C and refers to orally pleasuring a man's penis. Why in the world do people turn a form of pleasure into a swear word?

Another I can't stand is pussy when it's thrown as an insult. A description of a woman's sexual organ should never be an insult.

And, like TrevorTime above, I can not stand the word faggot/fag. I have many more words that make me want to bang my head into the wall but those three really make me see red