What is your least favorite word?

I was like... for real? Literally!

I cringe every time I hear somebody talking like that. The use of these words in a wrong context just shows lack of education or feeble vocabulary. I hate both.

• Like 1

Succulent.  

I dunno, there's just something about the word.  It's just too .... moist

Oh, and Y_B - I think you forgot to mention that the "throbbing organ" was also "engorged" ...

For me, it has to be Average. Most people don't understand what the word actually means ! It's three different types of measure ( mean, mode and median ) and if you don't specify you get into all sorts of confusion.

And my all time favourite word to hate "normal". Give me a definition that doesn't offend me.

• Like 2

How about conscience? Why do people not know the difference between conscience and conscious?

I often see "conscience" when the author meant "conscious." Or you'll get "conscious" when the author was really talking about a person's "conscience." This is like mistaking "their," "there," and "they're." <_<

I actually had to think of this....And was going to say any word in a book that I can't even pronounce in my brain, or something, however I think mine is "no", not for the reason you might think...

When I used to do jiggsaw puzzles, and repeat "no, no, no, no" my grandmother said it reminded her of the First Birds movie....

however now, it reminds me of my father after his stroke, and I just cringe every time I hear words that he said after the stroke....especially when I say them... one of them was him repeating No, no, no... or he don't know what he knows..." :( It creepes me out...I don't want to ever loose that much of my mind... *shudders*

Do you mean word or meaning. I have a love of the way words sound. If you're talking about the word itself I hate gotten, it just sounds wrong. If you're talking about meaning then boring, if you're talking about sound/use then like when used in the context of... it was, like, awesome, like.

I hate gotten, it just sounds wrong.

Interesting. It's not wrong but an archaic form of English that was in use at the time of the first America settlers which then died out in Britain but continued in North America. That's why there are "gotten(s)" in Shakespeare and it may still be in use in some dialect English :)

Interesting. It's not wrong but an archaic form of English that was in use at the time of the first America settlers which then died out in Britain but continued in North America. That's why there are "gotten(s)" in Shakespeare and it may still be in use in some dialect English Posted Image

Is that even considered a word any more I can't use it in a sentence.... except "We went to Gotten, it was a wonderful time, lots of old German Sights..."

The words I dislike the most are swear or cuss words uttered or written and repeated like "um" just to be filling up space. A well placed epithet employing a curse word in an appropriate setting is one thing, but the constant use of gutter language reminds me of 10 year old kids trying to impress each other. I find it annoying and usually tune elsewhere.

• Like 2

One phrase that one of the doctor's at work uses that drives me crazy: "As such and hensforth"

He says that all the time right in the middle of whatever he's talking about...It makes no sense!

Blah blah blaaaaaah, blah blah as such and hensforth blaaaaah blah blah Posted Image

(I guess that's 4 words and could also be in the pet peeves forum too)

Edited by KC Grim

Not a word:a phrase: "That being said, ..."

Well no duh YOU JUST SAID IT. No need to rehash, let's just move on.

Need an example?

"I believe in puppies. That being said, I also believe in kittens."

Better: "I believe in puppies. And also kittens." Or even better: "I believe in puppies AND kittens."

BEST: "..."

..because lets face it, anyone believing in puppies and kittens is a PERVERT. IT'S KITTENS AND PUPPIES you twisted fool. ALPHABETIZE NOUNS PLEASE.

I'll get my coat.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD
  • Like 1

I've been seeing "Maitre d' " a lot recently and I don't like that word, mostly because being a native French speaker, I always feel like the hotel is missing from the word. Plus, I'm not sure how it's suppose to be pronounced. My tongue always stumbled on the D'.

I was like... for real? Literally!

I cringe every time I hear somebody talking like that. The use of these words in a wrong context just shows lack of education or feeble vocabulary. I hate both.

I'm bothered by the misuse of "literally." I literally die when it is used nonsensically.

How about conscience? Why do people not know the difference between conscience and conscious?

I often see "conscience" when the author meant "conscious." Or you'll get "conscious" when the author was really talking about a person's "conscience."

That makes me wonder if "subconscience" might be useful on some contexts, though.

Inputted. its just wrong. the past tense in input is input. inputed IS a word however, but pronounced differently

There is a word "imputed." Maybe you are thinking of that one. It has an interesting variety of uses in theology, finance, and economics, for starters.

I've been seeing "Maitre d' " a lot recently and I don't like that word, mostly because being a native French speaker, I always feel like the hotel is missing from the word. Plus, I'm not sure how it's suppose to be pronounced. My tongue always stumbled on the D'.

Well of course you choked on the D' if you tried to pronounce it like French but without a vowel after it. In the US it is pronounced like "mater dee." I don't know if the phrase is used in any other English-speaking country or pronounced otherwise.

I don't hate the word "subliminal," but I avoid trying to say it in public since it often gets my twoung twangled.

Not a word:a phrase: "That being said, ..."

Well no duh YOU JUST SAID IT. No need to rehash, let's just move on.

Need an example?

"I believe in puppies. That being said, I also believe in kittens."

Hmmm, I've always used "that being said" as a way to qualify what I am about to say. For example, someone asks, "I am coming to L.A. for a week, I won't have a car, I want someplace very safe and my budget is $150. Should I stay in Hollywood or Santa Monica?"

I would answer, "Hollywood isn't the safest place in LA to stay, it is gritty in places. That being said, it IS the best place to stay in LA without a car and there are lots of hotels in your price range."

Hmmm, I've always used "that being said" as a way to qualify what I am about to say. For example, someone asks, "I am coming to L.A. for a week, I won't have a car, I want someplace very safe and my budget is $150. Should I stay in Hollywood or Santa Monica?"

I would answer, "Hollywood isn't the safest place in LA to stay, it is gritty in places. That being said, it IS the best place to stay in LA without a car and there are lots of hotels in your price range."

I tend to use that phrase a lot.

I know. I just think its unnecessary and overused. You've qualified what you've said by saying it. You can simply say "Hollywood isn't the safest place in LA to stay, it is gritty in places. But it IS the best place to stay in LA without a car..." - it gets you to exactly the same place without driving ME nuts. Which is a critical component of conversation. Don't drive ME nuts.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD
  • 1 month later...

Denigrating.... Because it keeps popping up in my head, and I keep using it the wrong way. Gosh, it's so denigrating (see...).

Edited by Ashi