Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

What Happens Next In CAP?

We sometimes forget Mark has a life beyond the CAP world.

I remember this concept being brought up previously.  What I don't understand is that while he has all of us, why on earth would he need ANOTHER life????

• Like 2

I can totally see Claire dropping out of the Republican Party and voting for Obama by the time '08 comes around, because of what a horrible president Bush Junior was, although I can see Ace remaining steadfastly loyal to the Dubya in chief until the very end.

What makes you think either Ace or Claire are Republicans?  I'm not seeing that at all.  Their money is too old for that. :)

Paternity is complete, his nibs just needs to change the status. I believe he's also out of town, which explains the non-communication.

You are correct.  Paternity is complete, and I am out of town.  I'm sitting here in Mexico, looking at the surf pounding into the sand, enjoying life.  B)

What makes you think either Ace or Claire are Republicans?  I'm not seeing that at all.  Their money is too old for that. :)

I kinda figured Claire was because of Stefan's constant joking about how she dresses like the Young Republican club of Palo Alto.

Ace has a personality that just reads to me as Republican, for some reason. He definitely strikes me as someone who would've supported Ronald Reagan back in the '80s.

Tony also strikes me as someone I can see as a Republican...you did say he was from a pretty conservative suburb of St. Louis, his family leans towards conservative Catholic types, and if Tony were a Republican type it'd make a lot more sense that he's so deeply closeted.

I also kinda figured that you can't have this entire family as Democrats, so there'd have to be at least a few Republicans in there. The Danfields can't be the lone Republicans in this story, right? It'd be boring if they were all of the same political affiliation, especially when the Republican/Democrat culture wars heat up during the insanity of the Dubya Years. The rhetoric just got nastier and nastier.

It really is going to be fun to see how you have the Dubya Administration shade the feel of CAP. I did think you did a great job of capturing the optimism, boom times,  and energy of the Clinton Years, so it'll be interesting to see what CAP feels like when The Dubya Years/9/11 alters the mood of the country. I can imagine Brad and JP cringing with these gems:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." -George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy with British Prime Minister Tony Blair

"I understand that the unrest in the Middle East creates unrest throughout the region." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., March 13, 2002

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific." -George W. Bush, who apparently forgot about a little something called World War II, Tokyo, Feb. 18, 2002

"It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, and incumbency." -George W. Bush, June 14, 2001, speaking to Swedish Prime Minister Goran Perrson, unaware that a live television camera was still rolling.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

You are correct.  Paternity is complete, and I am out of town.  I'm sitting here in Mexico, looking at the surf pounding into the sand, enjoying life.  B)

While you enjoy your spring break, please spend a little time, while being serenaded by the surf, daydreaming about George & his minions as well as the whole panoply of your CAP saga!  

I kinda figured Claire was because of Stefan's constant joking about how she dresses like the Young Republican club of Palo Alto.

Ace has a personality that just reads to me as Republican, for some reason. He definitely strikes me as someone who would've supported Ronald Reagan back in the '80s.

Tony also strikes me as someone I can see as a Republican...you did say he was from a pretty conservative suburb of St. Louis, his family leans towards conservative Catholic types, and if Tony were a Republican type it'd make a lot more sense that he's so deeply closeted.

I also kinda figured that you can't have this entire family as Democrats, so there'd have to be at least a few Republicans in there. The Danfields can't be the lone Republicans in this story, right? It'd be boring if they were all of the same political affiliation, especially when the Republican/Democrat culture wars heat up during the insanity of the Dubya Years. The rhetoric just got nastier and nastier.

It really is going to be fun to see how you have the Dubya Administration shade the feel of CAP. I did think you did a great job of capturing the optimism, boom times,  and energy of the Clinton Years, so it'll be interesting to see what CAP feels like when The Dubya Years/9/11 alters the mood of the country. I can imagine Brad and JP cringing with these gems:

And yet he is still twice the President with half the deficit of the Bamster.

In any event, I do think the Bush II era had this certain feel and vibe to it- there was this major sense of entitlement and feeling like there were no consequences. Mark talked once about how the 80's had this immense feeling of greed to them- I think that's somewhat what happened in the '00's. Not quite in the same way, but it was the era where people bought their McMansions and Hummers and shopped at lifestyle centers while being extremely maxed out on credit, with the belief that real estate prices were going to continue to rise, until they suddenly didn't. I'd consider the 2000's as being like another Gilded Age- on the surface there was prosperity, but it was all a house of cards that came tumbling down.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Jeff. I think he's been set up to have an important part somewhere in the next story, be it small or large. Selfishly, I hope that he and Will get together more seriously. They compliment each other nicely, though they both have their own issues to overcome before anything could happen. I can see them being really good friends while Jeff's in college and Will's going through high school, and then developing into something more in the time afterwards. At least, I hope so.

Ryan's been talked about a lot, but I think that is pretty much over. I don't see him playing a part at all in the future when it comes to Will. He will of course be in the story somewhere, since he's Jeff's half brother. 

Tony and Will will also come to a close eventually; Tony's too much of a coward for Will to put up with it for long, especially as he matures.  

• Like 1

Tony and Will will also come to a close eventually; Tony's too much of a coward for Will to put up with it for long, especially as he matures.  

I don't know though, Tony is a legacy character. You can't really count out a legacy character when it comes to a soap.

I'm assuming that when 9/11 comes around, some of Gathan's cousins will sign up for the army. I can't see there not being at least a few Hayes boys ending up in the War on Terror.

As for JJ, it'll be interesting to see what happens when he gears up for the 2001-2002 season. With Tiffany being his coach now, she'll have to move to Los Angeles...or she could just commute. The jet comes in handy, I suppose. I could see some mild tension with Wade over Tiffany going to Los Angeles with Riley, but I could also see that tipping UCLA Law School into favor with Wade, as Wade's entering his senior year of college and law school is just around the corner.

I would like to see JJ go back to Harvard-Westlake for his 10th grade year...JP and Brad could probably pull some strings, and it'd be nice to see JJ redeem himself a little bit and prove that he can do the work. Plus, I really like Allistair and I think he'd be a good influence on JJ, so I hope we can keep HW in the story.

It'd also be cool if Will made friends with a guy who was in the Straight Edge movement of the late 90's/early 00s...it ws basically teenagers who didn't believe in drinking, drugging, or having promicious sex. It'd be a nice counterbalance to Will's drinking and sex teen shenanigans.

Edited by methodwriter85

didn't you mother/grandmother ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest for of wit?

As I see it a majot characyer HAS to get involved with 9/11 - post 9/11 in a big way.  Not sure how - but I rekon it's a must!!

Logic would say that Stef or Brad would be in New York for 9 11. Maybe Robbie too. Wade and Matt could be checking out grad schools. The Senator could be having a meeting with someone at the Pentagon. I am hoping no one of the family gets killed. Stef would be hard to lose. If anything Brad and Robbie couldn't die  separate cause they wouldn't be able to continue on. Brad maybe, not Robbie. People like Ace Cassy. However, I vote for Wade's mother.

PrivateTim, on 01 Apr 2013 - 22:09, said:snapback.png

didn't you mother/grandmother ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest for of wit?

Actually my Mom always said "the truth will out" and Grannie said "handsome is as handsome does".

• Like 1

Logic would say that Stef or Brad would be in New York for 9 11. Maybe Robbie too. Wade and Matt could be checking out grad schools. The Senator could be having a meeting with someone at the Pentagon. I am hoping no one of the family gets killed. Stef would be hard to lose. If anything Brad and Robbie couldn't die  separate cause they wouldn't be able to continue on. Brad maybe, not Robbie. People like Ace Cassy. However, I vote for Wade's mother.

It'd be cool if JJ, Tiffany, and Riley were in Bulgaria for the Junior Grand Prix that was taking place from September 13th to 16th. I like the idea of some of these characters being out of the country.

This is wayyyy ahead, but damn, I really want Riley and Madison to end up childhood sweethearts when they're 12 years old in 2013, since they're not going to be raised as brother and sister. It'd be so classic soap, with an updated 21st century twist. Could you imagine the heart attack that La Danfield would have if her precious first-born grandson was dating the daughter of a crazy lesbian Jersey chick and an aging gay circuit boi from a nobody Mid-Western family?

Meanwhile, 26-year old Will and 27-year old JJ can chuckle about the hormonal exploits of their pubescent half-sister, while JJ teases Will about his own mishaps at that age, such as stripping in an Italian club. Then Will shoots back at JJ about his current exploits and unwillingess to settle down, before the two go back into the dinner that Will and his husband are throwing.

I kinda see Will at his mid-20's being largely settled down and thoroughly domesticated, because he sowed his wilds seeds so much in his teen years. Conversely, I see JJ as being someone compensating for the fact that he sacrificed his childhood for the Olympic dream, so he basically treats his mid/late 20's as the adolescence he never really had, with lots of partying and flings.

Darius and his wife (I don't think it will be Ella) would probably be on at least his 3rd child by 2013 with a 4th on the way, and living comfortably in a Los Angeles suburb.  He and Will dogpile quite frequently on Jeremy for not being settled down the way they are, but in a loving, brotherly way.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I hope JJ is not going to be a narrator.

I totally read that as "Then Will shoots JJ..."

Perked me right up! :)

I am all for JJ being the narrator if Chapter 1 is like my favorite BBC drama, "Death of Mary, Queen of Scots"

<media>

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..