you should know about him if only for his courage, along with others, in standing up against an oppressive state - and being sent to prison for his bravery [the state soon backed down and he was released, but still...] :)

Maybe so, but there are lots of people who were brave and stood up against oppression, and nobody can know who all of them were unless it's all they deal with in their life.  I know who he was now though.  He stood up for himself.  I can't say anything more because the subject is restricted in this forum.  :)

Very true. But I didn't mean "should" as an admonishment rather as an exhortation - simply that his actions and those of the countless others who've stood their ground are folks that are worth knowing about :) If you're interested this is the transcript - it brings to life what happened all those years ago. It must have been a pretty frightening and intimidating experience

http://www.peteseeger.net/HUAC.htm

• Like 1

Sorry, sorry. I've been busy watching my brother tying the knot, sending them off to their honeymoon and avoiding catching the bouquet.

Let's see: ghostboy probably has to google him. My dad not. :P Have pity baby.

Edited by aditus

Yes, I did google him.  So far I haven't known any of the people put on here.  But my memory is great, unlike aditus who still hasn't given poor Zombie his clue.

Anyway, this is Hans Bloomstadt, the head flower sniffer for Unkraut in ganz Deutschland (Weeds across Germany), Germany's premier mail-order florist.  He's seen in this photo giving the test to the latest harvest of their popular rose variety known as "Kisses in Bloom".   Bloomstadt's career started as a hobby, and he has been a devoted sniffer since an early age.  The job was offered to him when the CEO found him in the company's waste disposal area sniffing intently upon the discarded stock.  As his boss noted, Hans has a keen ability to sniff out the very finest blooms, and has been instrumental in reducing waste.  Hans hopes to some day open his own business, which he says will cater to those who appreciate a quality bloom and know how to sniff it.

• Like 2

There were several clues actually and if someone would  know how to use google properly, they would have his name in a heartbeat.

By the way his name is Michael Flottenholz. Hans Bloomstadt lives in Hamburg where he maintains his park. And there are no such things as Unkraut for him, everything is Kraut.

• Like 1

There were several clues actually and if someone would  know how to use google properly, they would have his name in a heartbeat.

By the way his name is Michael Flottenholz. Hans Bloomstadt lives in Hamburg where he maintains his park. And there are no such things as Unkraut for him, everything is Kraut.

This baby, is actually Mikrofon Flottenwald, a distant cousin  who emigrated to Mineral Point, Wisconsin, to look after the aviary, with its collection of sea birds  :P

• Like 1

Sorry, sorry. I've been busy watching my brother tying the knot, sending them off to their honeymoon and avoiding catching the bouquet.

Let's see: ghostboy probably has to google him. My dad not. :P Have pity baby.

Mick Fleetwood

Yes, very generous clues Addy :)

- lyric to Say You Love Me

- your dad's generation :P

- the red rose--->English Rose album

Glad your brother's wedding went well - the bouquet is always a worry.... :gikkle:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

Mick Fleetwood

Yes, very generous clues Addy :)

- lyric to Say You Love Me

- your dad's generation :P

- the red rose--->English Rose album

Glad your brother's wedding went well - the bouquet is always a worry.... :gikkle:

Your turn Z.

They were aiming at me with the nasty things... :o

Would she be the star of the German TV smash hit called "Weiterkirchen"? ;-) 

Let's look at the clues again

She was in her early twenties when she had her moment of fame - she's not been in her 20s for a while now... :P

If there's a German version there must also be a non-German version... of what?

So is there a non-German version of this TV show and was it made in the 1980s? I can't find anything about this show - it's not even on IMDB :( She is an actor but that's not connected with what she did in the 1980s

There's another clue in this pic :)

$_1.JPG

Edited by Zombie

OK I Googled who that is so I'm out, but I need to verify that for whatever reason she reminds me on that pick of Olivia Colman who just got BAFTA's for Broadchurch which would translate as Weiterkirche(-n), if it were German production. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this thread has died :o

I think the picture is of German singer Nena who had a hit with 99 Red Balloons

Nena a/k/a Gabriele Susanne Kerner?  I believe you are correct except in pronouncing the early demise of the thread.

• Like 1

I think the picture is of German singer Nena who had a hit with 99 Red Balloons

Mike's correct - it's Gabriele Susanne Kerner who became known by her stage name, Nena. She's a German singer, actress, and comedienne who had her big moment in1983 with the New German Wave song "99 Luftballons" not 99 Red Balloons, which was a much inferior English version that isn't even a direct translation - the original song has nothing to do with red which was probably used for scansion. For once Americans showed exemplary taste :P by preferring the original German over the English version and it became one of the most successful non-English songs in US history. The song was released when there were two Germanys - West and communist East, divided by the Berlin Wall - and the story is actually pretty grim: a bag's worth of helium balloons are casually released by an anonymous civilian into the sky and are registered as missiles by a faulty East German Early Warning System, mistaken for an attack by NATO, and result in panic and nuclear war :lol:

The picture didn't come through in my browser, but when I clicked on it, it showed Louise Fletcher with her name captioned? She won the  Academy award for One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, released in 1975!

P.S. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was one of my favorite pictures at the time.  From Wiki:

The film was the second to win all five major Academy Awards (Best PictureActor in Lead RoleActress in Lead RoleDirector, andScreenplay) following It Happened One Night in 1934, an accomplishment not repeated until 1991 by The Silence of the Lambs.