Good News Thread

• Site Moderator

Not really in the 'good news' category, but it's cute and brought a smile to my face:

Royal Mail helps British boy find out how much it would cost to send a letter to Mars

It's really sweet that they took the time and made an effort to answer Oliver's question as accurately as possible. I bet he was pleased as punch that they did. :thumbup: 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this is inappropriate or considered soliciting, but it's certainly good news for me. 

I've received written correspondence from professors and librarians at three separate universities that they would like to purchase my research book for their collections. Just have to wait for the sales to go through, but this is a nice little Christmas gift for myself.

• Like 4

At a time when most girls Siya's age are more concerned about Taylor Swift, the latest Barbie doll, and popular fashion accessories, this young girl is more concerned with helping others. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Iron Boy, aka Domenic Pace, saves Sydney from Ultron

The Make-A-Wish foundation, with assistance from the Sydney Police, have helped "Iron Boy" rescue a kidnapped reporter and save Sydney. Darn those pesky super-villians. Always showing up at the wrong time. At least we have our own super-hero to put them back in their place :D

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I hope this isn't political anymore.

I read this yesterday and never even knew of this gentlemen that lived in my city, Everett Klippert.

Read Story Here

or

here

It is an interesting story of our sordid past as a nation, and probably can be reflected around the world.

Some of the interesting quotes:

In 1969 the law was passed (repealing the law making homosexuality a crime)

Calgary Police Chief Ken McIver reportedly said at the time, “Now that homosexuality is legal everyone in Canada is going to become either gay or lesbian.

**So that is what happened to me :o **

The government will also review hundreds of cases of gay men convicted of acts such as “buggery” and other offences prior to the legalization of male homosexual acts in 1969.

Lesbian acts were never illegal in Canada.

Like I said, don't want to analyse the politics of it, but just feels nice to know that it is really never to late to say 'Sorry' and try to make things right :)

• Like 3

I hope this isn't political anymore.

I read this yesterday and never even knew of this gentlemen that lived in my city, Everett Klippert.

Read Story Here

or

here

It is an interesting story of our sordid past as a nation, and probably can be reflected around the world.

Some of the interesting quotes:

**So that is what happened to me :o **

Like I said, don't want to analyse the politics of it, but just feels nice to know that it is really never to late to say 'Sorry' and try to make things right :)

We've come a long way, wildone.  Thanks for posting this. 

I hope that Justin just wants to finish what his father started, because it's simply the right thing to do. 

• Site Moderator

We've come a long way, wildone.  Thanks for posting this. 

I hope that Justin just wants to finish what his father started, because it's simply the right thing to do. 

Speaking of good news, I saw a gay couple in the drugstore yesterday with their two young kids. A beautiful sight and not one odd or unwelcome look from anyone...really nice that was. :)

• Like 1

Speaking of good news, I saw a gay couple in the drugstore yesterday with their two young kids. A beautiful sight and not one odd or unwelcome look from anyone...really nice that was. :)

It's nice isn't it?... when Mike and i are out.. it's the same.. well people look at him cuz he's a giant, but that's normal

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

It's nice isn't it?... when Mike and i are out.. it's the same.. well people look at him cuz he's a giant, but that's normal

Yes, it's very nice. As for Mike, there are tall men out there, but his height isn't that common so he would get people looking even if was just surreptitiously.

• Like 1

Yes, it's very nice. As for Mike, there are tall men out there, but his height isn't that common so he would get people looking even if was just surreptitiously.

yes.. often asked about the weather up there...lol

• Like 1

I posted this a couple years ago...the connection of Klippert's wrongful jailing and the creation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms seems to be little known. Why is that, because it's a Gay issue that granted basic rights for all Canadians...? Hmmmm  :)

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/513/entry-13400-someting-to-share/

• Like 4

I posted this a couple years ago...the connection of Klippert's wrongful jailing and the creation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms seems to be little known. Why is that, because it's a Gay issue that granted basic rights for all Canadians...? Hmmmm  :)

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/513/entry-13400-someting-to-share/

well its been in the news a lot here for the past week, and CBC has been showing a Doc: How We Got Gay. So hopefully more people are learning about the Charter. Thanks AC and wild one for sharing!
  • Like 2

The dog, the autistic Wellington boy and the global tale

I personally know of a family that has a 'therapy' dog for their autistic son. His mother has said that the dog has made a huge difference. :)

Lovely story. Dogs are so helpful, more so than we think they are. It makes me sad that dogs are so unwelcome. I'll tell you one thing, my dog isn't the one spitting in my apartment building hallway.  

Thanks for this great story Graeme!