100 Million Words Contest #2

• Site Administrator

gallery_10220_932_49264.jpg

Contest # 1

Prize: $5 Amazon Gift Card

What's your favorite story on GA and why?

**Contest runs from now until Saturday, 12/20, at 7 PM, Pacific. Winner will be chosen by Random.org.**

Members who wish to comment but not enter the contest just need to state they are not entering this contest in their post. Winner must have Amazon account.

Favourite story on GA? Wow, now this is a hard question. There are so many amazing stories on here.

I however have to settle on The Rider's Pride by DKStories. Something about it just moved me so much. The story is a fan fiction of Pern, which I haven't actually read I admit, but I just adored it. It is set in a scene of inevitability, a world doomed to be forever under attack. The main character is one of the many who fight to keep the equilibrium, breaking out of the traditional work of their father because that is their dream. Ultimately, he finds comrades, the love of his life and fights as he wanted to. Yet now it is no longer the shiny dream of war but the cruel reality.

The story ends on a note that left me balling, because in some ways it was so perfect, and yet in others so tragic. 

• Like 3

This is a near impossible question. But this best answer I have for it, is Cia's Hypnotic. I've re-read the end of her Carthera trilogy more times than I'd like to admit. But there's so many good stories on GA that I haven't even managed to get near. That could possibly change. LOL

• Like 2

That is so not a fair question to ask. I can honestly say I have never read a story here I did not enjoy! I have read hundreds, edited dozens, and there is absolutely no way I could choose one as the favorite. I have an entire list of favorites!

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Just one?  It's so hard to pick from all the awesome stories on this site!  Rob Colton's work drew me here, so pretty much any of his stories.  One story in particular that has really stuck with me is Domluka's In the Fishbowl.  All his stories are amazing, but that one just really stands out for me. 

• Like 3

It's a very hard call for me, but I would have to say the story that affected me the most was Mark Arbour's 9.11.    https://www.gayauthors.org/story/mark-arbour/911

There are several other really touching stories on the site and I must also mention Circumnavigation as one of the longest and most harrowing stories of survival and ultimate triumph I have ever read.     https://www.gayauthors.org/story/c-james/circumnavigationCJ

• Like 4

My Favourite story on GA is 'A Boarding Life' written by Astro which is at the moment still in process, I really like the story because it reminds me of my time at boarding school and all the fun me and my other classmates used to have together, and it takes me back to a more simpler time when I didn't have to worry about bills, money and work, the only things I had to worry about was getting my homework and prep completed and in on time and trying to avoid getting detention.

Although this is my favourite story so far there are also a lot of other great story on the site, and a good selection to choose from within theme, genres and tone.

Edited by scotty94
  • Like 4

My favorite is Sasha Distan's American Songbook collection of stories. I think Nothing Town is nothing short of an amazing story but I have a fondness for Bright Thunder and the Tailgate one too.  They really touch on my past and people I knew growing up. :)

• Like 3

After giving it much thought and thinking of so many wonderful stories, I have to go with Porcupines by Cole Matthews.  I watched this story progress and the author hone his skills as he made his way through this story.  It cultivated a loyal audience and the author continued to improve as this wonderful story progressed.

• Like 4

There are many, many stories that could fill the space of #1 on my list and make for an enjoyable list of ties. One story has really pushed forward in my recent reading to join with the other #1's, and that story is Attunga - book 1 of Tales Of The Terran Diaspora by Iarwain (37 chapters and 175,313 words).

I read Attunga over three days; I couldn't put it away. The story centers on three young men named Wirrin, Thom and Calen (a true trio), who both love one another and complement each other well, and their interactions with dolphins--particularly one special dolphin named Sonic. The story takes place in a future where large populations of people live in huge space habitats, mine asteroids for their metal and water, and artificial intelligence is a reality. Bigotry and hate have not been lost in the future, folks, and these things fuel the conflict of the story with alarming realism. Iarwain didn't fail in capturing my attention in those necessary first moments of the story, and believe me, never lets up until the very end. It's an exciting, intelligently well written story combining science (easily digestible [and acceptably believable] content), humor and the inestimable human spirit. I found it impossible not to like this story, and so Attunga can be found at the forefront of my list of #1 ties.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This is a hard one as I love so many of the stories but my favourite story is the  The Kandric Saga. I choose this one, as there is no other story that when a chapter gets posted I drop what I am doing to read it and have even delayed going to work to read a new chapter rather than have to wait all day. The way Kyle tells the story just keeps me gripped and while I wished chapters came out quicker I just love this story.

• Like 3

hmmm....now that;s a tough one.I have may stories that i love here, and many different authors that i follow. But, out of all of them, I would have to say that my favorite story in the entire website  would be Cowboy Summer by Sasha Distan, and that is because it strikes home more than any other story i;ve read here. i can clearly feel the connection slowly forming between the main character and the horse he is learning to ride, and it reminds me so much of the connection that i share with my own horse. and the entire story being set in a town where everyone knows eachother, it makes me long for the same. that;s why Cowboy summer is my favorite.

• Like 3

Accidents Happen - by Comicfan. 31 chapters and I didn't want it to end. Comicfan is one of my favorite authors here on GA, his writing is very good, and his dialogue in this story flows so naturally, you can't help not to be drawn into it and be totally captivated by these characters. I have read this story many times and I recomment you all to read it :)running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm not entering this contest, I thought Amazon was a river :P;) I just want you to know that I love this story running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by slytherin
  • Like 2

My favorite GA story is Damphir by Nephylim, because I really like fantasy stories.  It is a different take on the vampire/were stories, especially with Glory having four different parts that make up his spirit, so to speak, and they each come out to help him when he needs it.  Each fey part has it's own personality, even if the feline part is the most prevalent.  

But I also really like the Paradox series by In the Mind Of Sunshine, as I really enjoy the high school drama as well.  I was just glad that the second one was close to being finished when I started it, so I didn't have to wait too long.

It is so hard to really choose just one, though, because there are soooo many!!!!

• Like 1

That's really hard to limit to just 1 story. But over-all it would have to be Second Shot by Andrew Q Gordon.  I was really surprised that I connected with the characters.  It's a college age / sports / coming out and It's not what I usually read but it was so good.  Very compelling and drew me in from the start. :D

• Like 1