• Site Moderator

Probably picky... I tend to use them mostly for stories. I like to show my appreciation for authors but lately my reading has come to a crawl. Writing and editing Autumn's taking a lot of time, much more than Summer did. Plus I've become more selective about what I read. New, unknown authors who start publishing serial stories have burned me once too many times by abandoning them, leaving me hanging and angry. If an author does that, I won't even look at their stuff again until they mark it as complete.

My writing is far from perfect, but I try hard to present a clean product. You guys should see the comments back and forth with editors and beta readers. And some things still slip through! So when I read something full of typos which could have been easily corrected by using spell check--or by the author reading it over before posting it--I'm quickly turned off and abandond the story. This means if you find an error in something I post I'd love for you to tell me!!! I won't bite your head off if you tell me I screwed up. I promise!

And if you post it in the discussion thread, I'll probably give you a LIKE! :D

Go figure " out of likes" but at least I had one for CM's latest chapter...

As for notifying an author if I have found an error? I prefer PMs over discussion threads. I don't mind sacrificing a Like because I don't think the world needs to know every little detail.....   :)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2

I'm working hard to find clues, but so far I've not been able to sniff out any. I'm starting to suspect everyone, which seems a bit of an overreaction. That handkerchief might be telling us something. And the fact that Denny left the house again. Hmm... I guess we need more chapters!

The thoughts on how frail life is really made me think. We do our best to cope with the reality of things. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to carry on. Colin shouldn't be too hard on himself. I'm sure he did what he could to be a friend.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I'm working hard to find clues, but so far I've not been able to sniff out any. I'm starting to suspect everyone, which seems a bit of an overreaction. That handkerchief might be telling us something. And the fact that Denny left the house again. Hmm... I guess we need more chapters!

The thoughts on how frail life is really made me think. We do our best to cope with the reality of things. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to carry on. Colin shouldn't be too hard on himself. I'm sure he did what he could to be a friend.

I'm trying to figure out clues too. 

So far, three people who attended the dinner party mentioned earlier - Alfie, Tony and now Denny - are dead. Two of them specifically shown to be murders.  Since Tony's death was staged to look like an overdose, then Alfie's could have been as well.  I just can't see a connection or reason why, though. :unsure:

The handkerchief seems like it was planted since Colin recognized it as something Denny would never wear. I have to catch up on my reviews, so I'll be looking for more clues then - hope to find some....

You're right in that Colin shouldn't be so hard on himself. I think it's indicative of his good character and being a nice guy that is causing him to beat himself up over Denny's death.

I just hope his alibi holds out and the cops :angry: leave him alone.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

And here I thought the handkerchief belonged to Colin... it used to be scarlet only got turned pink by the killer somehow.

I think "indiscretely" is a typo in chapter 1. And the tennis match changes from Thursday to Tuesday.

I always run out of likes. I've been reading old completed stories in order of most famous favorited. Very satisfying to read stories in one go... then no more likes :(

• Like 1

Well Brian has said that Colin is innocent, but the mention of his scarlet handkerchief did make me think that he probably has a drawer full of them and that will be something else to use against him. 

I think Whitehead is not to be trusted. We do need more chapters so we can sniff out the clues. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Well Brian has said that Colin is innocent, but the mention of his scarlet handkerchief did make me think that he probably has a drawer full of them and that will be something else to use against him. 

I think Whitehead is not to be trusted. We do need more chapters so we can sniff out the clues. 

I hadn't considered "not trusting" Whitehead. I took him as nothing more than a jerk.

Now that you have me thinking Def, is he just a jerk overall? Is he a jerk because he does not like the role of underling to a senior partner and a woman at that. Or is it something more sinister and nefarious?

Apologies for using both s and n, but I couldn't help myself. They are both such delightful words.   :gikkle:

The mystery deepens and the plot thickens. Can't wait to find out what happens next!

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

I hadn't considered "not trusting" Whitehead. I took him as nothing more than a jerk.

Now that you have me thinking Def, is he just a jerk overall? Is he a jerk because he does not like the role of underling to a senior partner and a woman at that. Or is it something more sinister and nefarious?

Apologies for using both s and n, but I couldn't help myself. They are both such delightful words.   :gikkle:

The mystery deepens and the plot thickens. Can't wait to find out what happens next!

Sinister and nefarious...hehe I like it.

About Whitehead. It could be all of those things. It's like Puppilull said everyone's a suspect. I think Whitehead's pissed that he's investigating a gay murder, since he's coming off so homophobic, he can't be objective, which is why I don't trust him.  Or they know a lot more than they're letting on and Chaudhary is worried he's overplaying their hand, why she talked him down. Now you've got me thinking... Lol 

We definitely need more clues. And to find out about the other dinner party members. And Vaughn's departure is of note. Mystery indeed. 

• Like 2

But that would point to Billy and I really hope he isn't involved!

• Site Moderator

But that would point to Billy and I really hope he isn't involved!

Never thought of Billy...

I think he would be more of a red herring rather than a viable suspect - I like him so don't like the idea of his being the guilty party.

What about Vaughan?

His methods of communication don't allow for verification of his geographical location....and he did dump Colin.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

Never thought of Billy...

I think he would be more of a red herring rather than a viable suspect - I like him so don't like the idea of his being the guilty party.

What about Vaughan?

His methods of communication don't allow for verification of his geographical location....and he did dump Colin.

That would be the ultimate bastard! Dump someone, then frame them for murder! LOL

• Like 2

And here I thought the handkerchief belonged to Colin... it used to be scarlet only got turned pink by the killer somehow.

I think "indiscretely" is a typo in chapter 1. And the tennis match changes from Thursday to Tuesday.

I always run out of likes. I've been reading old completed stories in order of most famous favorited. Very satisfying to read stories in one go... then no more likes :(

Hi Eleven,

Thanks for the head's up on the tennis match. The actual date should be Wednesday :rolleyes: so I've been through and changed those references. Otherwise there's not enough time for other "happenings". With this kind of plotline, timelines are everything so I need to keep my eye on the ball. 

I've trawled through chapters 1 - 4 but can't find the reference to "indiscretely" that you mention (my spellchecker would normally pick up that kind of typo). Or is that about Barnie being indiscreet / indiscrete? I think the latter is the UK spelling. 

• Like 2

Dear all,

Am LOVING this thread. I almost want to go back and rewrite the story, just to incorporate some of your ideas (maybe I will at some point). As you've probably gathered already, all is definitely not as it seems and at this point in time, nobody is above suspicion. But be prepared that this is a slow-burner - I'll do my best to keep you all entertained along the way with a few twists.

Brian

Lomax61

• Like 4

Slow is nice! Or is it my girlie side talking...?

That stolen computer made me think Uncle Dom is/was involved somehow. But that doesn't make sense. I'm looking forward to that tennis game now. I mean, is he or isn't he?

• Like 1

That stolen computer made me think Uncle Dom is/was involved somehow. But that doesn't make sense. I'm looking forward to that tennis game now. I mean, is he or isn't he?

Masterful. Whatever you do, don't let go of the Uncle Dom angle.

That's all I'm saying. There was a lot more to the old boy than is evident from the storyline. I'm not trying to throw you off the trail but this story runs even deeper than what is currently being shown.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Masterful. Whatever you do, don't let go of the Uncle Dom angle.

That's all I'm saying. There was a lot more to the old boy than is evident from the storyline. I'm not trying to throw you off the trail but this story runs even deeper than what is currently being show

I've just now decided I am going to have to have  a "playbook" for this story so I can organize the clues, red herrings (lots of those, I'm betting), suspects and persons of interests. Wish my condo was big enough for a white board like you see in all the cop shows......

• Like 1

Dear all, 

I need to to offer you all a huge apology  :unsure: !

I'm travelling to the UK tonight for the week (family, friends, renew passport, blah, blah) and forgot to pack my thumb drive on which I am keeping my KtD chapters. I could kick myself, because I'm on a roll right now and have four new chapters ready to go.

So I won't be able to post any more until Tuesday 8 Sep. 

Please stick around and I promise to deliver.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

:P

Dear all, 

I need to to offer you all a huge apology  :unsure: !

I'm travelling to the UK tonight for the week (family, friends, renew passport, blah, blah) and forgot to pack my thumb drive on which I am keeping my KtD chapters. I could kick myself, because I'm on a roll right now and have four new chapters ready to go.

So I won't be able to post any more until Tuesday 8 Sep. 

Please stick around and I promise to deliver.

Brian

You should know by now, you can't get rid of us that easily :gikkle:

Have a good trip ✈ however you travel.

We can wait until Tuesday - good things come to those who wait as the saying goes :thumbup:

We will be here when you get back :yes:

We'll muddle through somehow... Even if it's going to be difficult.

Have a nice trip!

We will survive and thrive  :read:  :)

:o what!!   Kidding, of course...I get to catch up!

Def you said what I was going to say... :lol:

Edited by Reader1810
  • 2 weeks later...