Liam still loves Alek, so if he did manage to come out and ask Liam to take him back, I think he would. The problem is I can't see Alek doing that unless he knew Liam was a sure thing. Why should he risk losing his family, his straight friends and perhaps his business over his ex-boyfriend, who keeps telling him it's over? If he didn't do it immediately after Liam broke up with him, or while they were still dating, it seems even more unlikely now. Of course, Liam having a close call was a shock, but I would have thought getting a girlfriend meant Liam was already 'dead' to Alek as a partner.

However, in the end all that matters is Liam's happiness. If getting Alek back will provide that, it doesn't matter what his friends and us readers think. And Liam is so soft-hearted, he would probably cave if Alek sacrificed everything to be with him. But Corey and Jason will not be as easily persuaded to forgive Alek. Should be fun to watch. ;)

• Like 5

Liam still loves Alek, so if he did manage to come out and ask Liam to take him back, I think he would. The problem is I can't see Alek doing that unless he knew Liam was a sure thing. Why should he risk losing his family, his straight friends and perhaps his business over his ex-boyfriend, who keeps telling him it's over? If he didn't do it immediately after Liam broke up with him, or while they were still dating, it seems even more unlikely now. Of course, Liam having a close call was a shock, but I would have thought getting a girlfriend meant Liam was already 'dead' to Alek as a partner.

However, in the end all that matters is Liam's happiness. If getting Alek back will provide that, it doesn't matter what his friends and us readers think. And Liam is so soft-hearted, he would probably cave if Alek sacrificed everything to be with him. But Corey and Jason will not be as easily persuaded to forgive Alek. Should be fun to watch. ;)

Yes... it should :)

• Like 3

I'm not saying what's going to happen, but it is nice to see Alek has a couple of supporters.  I used to know someone who wasn't out to his very traditional family (Chinese in this case, not Russian), and the idea of possibly losing his entire family (including extended family) if he came out, kept him in the closet for as long as I knew him.  He wasn't a bad guy, just afraid of losing 'everything'.  He, in part, is who I based Alek on.  

• Like 5

How did Alek become a cheater? :huh:  ...................... the closet is a horrible place... I hope the Russian escapes it and his traditional binds... he loves Liam, of that I have no doubt... I get the feeling he's been lost since Liam dumped him... Liam was right to end it, but he has to take some blame for how their relationship was... The fact is they both still love each other yet some of us are swayed by a dollars worth of hot chocolate and some pretty blue eyes :P

• Like 4

So... I'm just going to put this right here.... 

“Alek and I have known each other for a couple of years.  I didn’t realize until recently he was gay.  He’s….”  Liam hesitated, clearing his throat.  “He’s not exactly out.”

<>

<>

<> 

“How ‘in the closet’ is he?” Corey asked, concerned his friend seemed to be smitten already.

“Deep in the closet…,” he answered with a tired sounding sigh.  “Like back in the far corner, burrowing into the wall kind of deep.”

“Liam….”

“Don’t, Corey.  I know what you’re going to say.”  His assistant stood and began pacing behind his chair.  “His sisters know, but his father and grandfather are pretty homophobic.  He’s opening his own garage, and his dad co-signed his loan, and….”

“And he’s worried his dad might pull his support if the family found out,” Corey finished.  “I get it.  It’s a terrible situation for you, though.”

Liam looked sad as he sat back down.  “I can be patient,” he said, rubbing his palms over his face.  “Hell, we’re still so new… we could end before we even start.  All of this could be moot.”

Unforgivable, Chapter 19

Edited by LitLover
  • Like 4

How did Alek become a cheater? :huh:  

He became a potential cheater, when he visited Liam and told him he still loves him, even though Alek has a girlfriend.

Some people think having sex is cheating, others draw the line at kissing. But if you declare your love for your ex while dating someone else, couldn't that be considered emotional (rather than physical) cheating?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 5

Exactly Tim! 

"“I’m sorry how things ended between us.  If I could go back…”

“You’d do what?”  Liam pulled away.  “Tell your parents about me?  About us?  You’d stop treating our relationship like something you’re ashamed of?”  Fuck, he thought he’d worked the bitterness out of his system... guess not. 

Alek leaned close, cupping Liam’s face with a large hand.  “I love you, Liam.  That hasn’t changed.  I fucked up, but I know I can fix this.”

Liam snorted in disbelief.  How in the world could Aleksei fix anything?  The man refused to come out of the closet for goodness sake.  Before Liam could respond Alek kissed his forehead, stood and left the room.  Stunned, he watched the empty threshold, wondering what the hell just happened. "

Unless he both gives up the girlfriend AND comes out of the closet, there is no where to go with Liam and nothing to fix.

And in my book, lying to his family by pretending to be straight is also a form of cheating.

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 5

"Unless he both gives up the girlfriend AND cmes out og the closet, there is no where to go with Liam and nothing to fix.

And in my book, lying to his family by pretending to be straight is also a form of cheating."

I agree with the first line, but not the second, Sis. For sure Alek needs to own up to who he is in order to deserve Liam... 100 per cent...

We have hints of how Alek's family is, so I won't judge him for hiding who he is from them... coming out is a process for some... feeling the need to pretend to be straight to his family is something I would put on the family... a parent's love should be unconditional for the most part... Alek's parent's love is predicated on him being straight... I find that despicable... we all have the instinct for self preservation... what Alek is doing by hiding to his family is not cheating IMO... but he needs to break those binds, even if it means losing his garage... unless he wants to be trapped his whole life... just saying.... :)

• Like 3

Tim, I agree that there is a potential for him to be a cheater by admitting he loves Liam while involved with another, but that is not a guarantee that he will cheat.  

And in my book, lying to his family by pretending to be straight is also a form of cheating.

I don't think pretending to be straight is cheating, but even if it was, would it classify as cheating if Liam went into the relationship with eyes wide open?  He was always aware that in order to be with Alek he would have to join him in the closet.

Edited by LitLover
  • Like 3

I read once that men who have random sexual encounters are less likely to break up their marriage than if they fall in love. Now, I realize  being unfaithful is of course destructive to a marriage if the spouse finds out, so I'm not excusing anything. I'm simply saying that being emotionally involved with someone else is just as likely to lead to broken relationships and hearts. I'm sure Alek's girlfriend would be equally upset by both.

I know it's an impossible choice, but think about it:

Would you rather 1) your husband fell in love with someone else and left you, or 2) he loved you with all his heart and would never abandon his family, but had meaningless, safe sex on the side occasionally?

(ducking to avoid all the flying objects)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

I read once that men who have random sexual encounters are less likely to break up their marriage than if they fall in love. Now, I realize  being unfaithful is of course destructive to a marriage if the spouse finds out, so I'm not excusing anything. I'm simply saying that being emotionally involved with someone else is just as likely to lead to broken relationships and hearts. I'm sure Alek's girlfriend would be equally upset by both.

I know it's an impossible choice, but think about it:

Would you rather 1) your husband fell in love with someone else and left you, or 2) he loved you with all his heart and would never abandon his family, but had meaningless, safe sex on the side occasionally?

(ducking to avoid all the flying objects)

Option 3: NEITHER :)

• Like 2

We will need to agree to disagree on what constitutes cheating in its various forms.  If I were to have obtained funding for my business under false pretenses, I would be a cheat and a liar. I fail to see how that does not apply to Alek just because it is his sexuality he is keeping under wraps and not a past business failure or some other situation that would stop me from getting said funding.

Gary - you are right - neither is acceptable.  When I said the words "...only onto each other till death does you part."  I meant it, and would expect him to have meant it too. Meaningless flings are no better than falling in love with someone else. It is just as hurtful.

• Like 3

Tim, I agree that there is a potential for him to be a cheater by admitting he loves Liam while involved with another, but that is not a guarantee that he will cheat.  

I don't think pretending to be straight is cheating, but even if it was, would it classify as cheating if Liam went into the relationship with eyes wide open?  He was always aware that in order to be with Alek he would have to join him in the closet.

Just because an incidence of cheating is not against Liam does not make it any less an incidence of cheating.  If his being straight is a condition of the funding of his business and he lies about being straight he is cheating.

• Like 1

It's no wonder Gary is still pulling for Alek his guys always manage to sort out the weirdness keeping them apart. He's a helpless romantic with a soft spot for love and redemption and an HEA.

Not to mention some of us grew up hiding from ourselves in order to fit what was expected. I get where Alek is coming from. My mum is the person who's love and opinion mattered most to me. The thought of losing that terrified me.

I like that hot young blue-eyed EMT with a penchant for bringing hot drinks to patients. I think his attention will be good for Liam regardless of whether they become anything other than friends. Liam knows Alek. His strengths and his weakness if Alek can redeem himself in Liam's eyes more power to him. Someone, I apologize but I've forgotten who, reminded us that the title is "Choices" and Li isn't the only one with a choice to make.

Don't you just love it when the people in a story can get folks all riled up?

Oh, and I'm willing to complicate things and toss my hat into the ring for Liam's affections.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 4