• Site Moderator

Go Alek! Go Alek! Go far away Alek!  ;-)

droughtquake, while Itotally agree with what you're saying there, my mind is on your review of chapter 4.

Comparing Alek to a sinkhole is awesomely hilarious , but so apropos. Had me  :rofl: and you were on the mark for the rest of it too, I thought. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 4

droughtquake, while Itotally agree with what you're saying there, my mind is on your review of chapter 4.

Comparing Alek to a sinkhole is hilarious, but so apropos. Had me  :rofl: and you were on the mark for the rest of it too, I thought. 

Yes, I loved the sinkhole analogy too. Very apt.  :worship:

• Like 4

I don't know what to say anymore, I feel like there's two different stories being published in the site. The story maybe 3 of 4 of us are reading with complex characters facing tough decisions and emotional heartache. And then the other story where Alek is a Saturday morning cartoon villain murdering puppies and beating up "queers" on the weekend for kicks while simultaneously being a closeted homosexual.

I can't for the life of me figure out this vehemently negative reaction for a character who, while he made a mistake, hasn't done anything particularly reprehensible. Alek was given an ultimatum and made what he now feels was the wrong decision. This happens, we all make mistakes and have regrets. Perhaps we should actually wait to see how the story unfolds before we attach a bunch of stigmas and faults to Alek that haven't even been shown.

Here, hear :yes:

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I don't know what to say anymore, I feel like there's two different stories being published in the site. The story maybe 3 of 4 of us are reading with complex characters facing tough decisions and emotional heartache. And then the other story where Alek is a Saturday morning cartoon villain murdering puppies and beating up "queers" on the weekend for kicks while simultaneously being a closeted homosexual.

I can't for the life of me figure out this vehemently negative reaction for a character who, while he made a mistake, hasn't done anything particularly reprehensible. Alek was given an ultimatum and made what he now feels was the wrong decision. This happens, we all make mistakes and have regrets. Perhaps we should actually wait to see how the story unfolds before we attach a bunch of stigmas and faults to Alek that haven't even been shown.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my dislike of Alek - and it is very strong - stems from his keeping Liam as his 'dirty little secret'. Liam is a sweet and wonderful person who was treated very poorly by Alek and for far too long. I don't see myself being able to change my mind about where I stand regarding that "relationship". 

• Like 4

Between Liam and Alek, I am actually more interested in Alek's story. Why? Because, at the heart of all this, I don't think Alek's choices are based on any malice, they are based on love. The reason he was willing to have a relationship with Liam to begin with, was because he loved (and still loves) Liam. Sure, the relationship had to be in secret, but from what I remember of Unforgivable, before Liam, Alek had never been in a relationship with another man, so to have one with Liam speaks a lot about his feelings for Liam.

As for his choice to stay in the closet, it too is based on love; love for his family. I mean, why else would he go through all those lengths to be in the closet, if not because of his love he holds for his family. If he were to come out, he would almost certainly be cut out from people he has known his entire life.

Which brings us to Alek's unenviable choice: the love for his boyfriend vs. the love for his family. And I honestly can't blame Alek for the decisions he made, when I consider the choice he faced

He is a man with an inner conflict, and that is something worth reading. William Faulkner said it best:

The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself.

Alek is that quote personified. That is why I am more interested in his story.

• Like 4

As I’ve said before, I just think Alek needs to actually fix what he says he’s going to fix before he bothers Liam again.

I didn’t like the epilogue for RRS though, so…

Only 4 chapters in and already so much heated debate ! Very well done Litlover !

I haven't finished reading chapter 4 yet, so let me go and have a look ... :shush: don't tell her, the author, that is ...

:off:

On a totally different note, a good afternoon wish from Hong Kong, it's just past noon and it is the 7th day of the new Year of the Rooster. Traditionally this is a birthday for all humans - people day - everyone is a year older today ! Happy Birthday all !

:D

• Like 5

I think there are two reasons the reactions to Alek are so strong. The main one is we're all feeling protective and concerned about Liam. We know he had his heart broken by Alek, because even if he did enter the relationship with open eyes, I'm sure he kept hoping Alek would eventually set their love as his main priority and come out of the closet or at least confront his father about his bigoted opinions. We can discuss whether Liam was stupid to have such hopes, but he loved Alek enough to set his own wants and needs aside for a long time. Obviously, the reverse was not the case at the time. This eventually caused them to break up, probably because Liam gave an ultimatum - but more likely because he told Alek he couldn't do this anymore. IF he had given an ultimatum, who knows what would have happened?

My point is we're all on Liam's side and we don't want him to be hurt again. He's extra vulnerable due to his accident, and we know he still has feelings for Alek. So we react like Marty and Corey will do - with anger born from concern and fear of Liam letting in Alek and being once more disappointed and left broken-hearted. If Alek had shown up at the hospital and sad: "I broke up with my girlfriend, I came out to my family, I found someone else to back my garage, I love you and want to marry you," I think none of us would say a word against him. But then this would be a very short story, and not called Choices. :lol:

The other reason for the widespread Alek dislike is tied to the first part: he's making vague promises, and we don't believe he'll follow through. Or we want to reject the possibility that he does (even if we probably won't change LitLover's mind about the story development). Because if he does then Liam will have to choose between the nice-and-safe Nathan and the man he's loved for a long time. Not an easy choice eh? Someone will get hurt, and because it's easier to wish hurt on Alek, who's brought it on himself by his cowardly behavior, we want Liam to chose Nathan. Therefore we don't want Alek to distract Liam, and everytime Alek pops up, we start screaming like angry kids (birds?): "No, not you! Go away! Get lost!" etc.

Hope this helps with your confusion. Or course since Gary the-master-of-redemption is the editor, you'll probably be able to laugh at us in the end, when

Alek wins Liam back with some heroic act, and Nathan falls in love with someone else, but remains another good friend.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 4

Dear Timothy,

Don't give away the plot line ... :gikkle: ... OR else warn us with a well placed "spoiler alert" :D

All joking aside, do you think this is where this story is headed ?

Warmest regards,

Hoho

Edited by hohochan657
  • Like 4

Dear Timothy,

Don't give away the plot line ... :gikkle: ... OR else warn us with a well placed "spoiler alert" :D

All joking aside, do you think this is where this story is headed ?

Warmest regards,

Hoho

LOL, since I'm not editing this story I'm allowed to guess along with the rest of you. And I've been proved wrong plenty of times with such guesses, so I wouldn't trust any of my predictions if I were you. :lol:

But you have a point, so spoiler alert duly added. :)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 4

I think there are two reasons the reactions to Alek are so strong. The main one is we're all feeling protective and concerned about Liam. We know he had his heart broken by Alek, because even if he did enter the relationship with open eyes, I'm sure he kept hoping Alek would eventually set their love as his main priority and come out of the closet or at least confront his father about his bigoted opinions. We can discuss whether Liam was stupid to have such hopes, but he loved Alek enough to set his own wants and needs aside for a long time. Obviously, the reverse was not the case at the time. This eventually caused them to break up, probably because Liam gave an ultimatum - but more likely because he told Alek he couldn't do this anymore. IF he had given an ultimatum, who knows what would have happened?

My point is we're all on Liam's side and we don't want him to be hurt again. He's extra vulnerable due to his accident, and we know he still has feelings for Alek. So we react like Marty and Corey will do - with anger born from concern and fear of Liam letting in Alek and being once more disappointed and left broken-hearted. If Alek had shown up at the hospital and sad: "I broke up with my girlfriend, I came out to my family, I found someone else to back my garage, I love you and want to marry you," I think none of us would say a word against him. But then this would be a very short story, and not called Choices. :lol:

The other reason for the widespread Alek dislike is tied to the first part: he's making vague promises, and we don't believe he'll follow through. Or we want to reject the possibility that he does (even if we probably won't change LitLover's mind about the story development). Because if he does then Liam will have to choose between the nice-and-safe Nathan and the man he's loved for a long time. Not an easy choice eh? Someone will get hurt, and because it's easier to wish hurt on Alek, who's brought it on himself by his cowardly behavior, we want Liam to chose Nathan. Therefore we don't want Alek to distract Liam, and everytime Alek pops up, we start screaming like angry kids (birds?): "No, not you! Go away! Get lost!" etc.

Hope this helps with your confusion. Or course since Gary the-master-of-redemption is the editor, you'll probably be able to laugh at us in the end, when

Alek wins Liam back with some heroic act, and Nathan falls in love with someone else, but remains another good friend.

I have NO CLUE where Lit is headed with this... I'm as in the dark as the rest of you... :yes:

• Like 4

You mean I have two birthdays every year? So now I’m 114 years old? Thanks a lot!  ;-)

You don't look a day over 90... :P

Uh oh, instead of being the big 5-oh this year, I'm really going to be 1-oh-oh. Oh boy...  :blink:  :pinch: Oh wells... :gikkle: 

See my post above for what you get to look forward to B. :P

Dear All,

It only means that everyone's birthday celebration is brought forward, hurrah ! We're still as old or as young as our age is normally worked out ...

:rolleyes:

Hoho

• Like 4

I know - but you can still inspire and influence her. ;)

I hope I inspire her, but I don't influence her... at least, not where the story is going... that's ALL her... ........................hehe... I am ready to talk her off a ledge if she ever needs it  ;)

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3

Let's see, he lies to his family, allowing them to believe he is straight.  He insists on keeping Liam a secret ( another lie of sorts). After Liam has had enough and gives him his walking papers he gets a girlfriend.(Third lie unless he has told her he is gay.) He takes funding for his shop that is predicated on his being straight. (Lie #4).  Tells Liam he loves him in spite of having a girlfriend. ( Potential to become a sexual cheater in addition to cheating by lying.) Continues to show up in spite of Liam telling him to go away. (At minimum shows disrespect for Liam's feelings. While I would not call it stalking yet, this is how a lot of stalkings, including my own when I was 19, begin.)

I hate to say this, and I know this wasn't anything personal directed toward me, but at least part of Alek's experience hits very close to home because it's a reality for a great many people. I'm not out to my family either, as I've mentioned before. Coming out to family is a personal decision that one has to make for themselves, and I definitely don't think it's fair to judge others (me for instance) if they are hesitant to do so due to individual circumstances.

Beyond that, I don't think his father had some weird legal condition as part of the loan that Alek had to be straight or there wouldn't be any funding. His father is homophobic, an extremely popular attitude is Russia. Alek has a legitimate fear that if he did come out when he and Liam first got together, it would screw up his fledgling business. I'm not even sure this would exactly be an issue anymore. It depends on if his garage has accumulated it's own clientele or if it's just his father's associates that we're throwing business his direction. If Alek is under the thumb of a bunch of people who place a bunch of weird conditions as to what he does in his personal life as it were any of their business, then he probably needs to get out of that anyway.

I'll agree on the stalking if Alek continues to bother Liam over and over again. I didn't take it that way yet because I was under the impression that they hadn't seen or spoken in months before the car accident.

• Like 4

I hate to say this, and I know this wasn't anything personal directed toward me, but at least part of Alek's experience hits very close to home because it's a reality for a great many people. I'm not out to my family either, as I've mentioned before. Coming out to family is a personal decision that one has to make for themselves, and I definitely don't think it's fair to judge others (me for instance) if they are hesitant to do so due to individual circumstances.

I don't think we're judging Alek because he's hesitant to come out to his family. The problem is he let his reluctance destroy his relationship with Liam. Now he seems to regret that, which is fair enough, but if he wants to make a different choice, it's going to be uphill all the way. And telling Liam he still loves him and troubling an already vulnerable guy don't seem quite the right way to go about it to me. But I assume to Alek he's simply trying to show Liam he cares about him, loves him even if they cannot be lovers. That's why I liked him saying he knows he's a selfish prick.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 4