Gay Commercials: Good, Bad, And Weird

W_L

Let me start off with this one that overtly referenced a guy coming out to sell "Infiniti" Brand Cars:

https://youtu.be/uzzMJuFskUQ

This is weird and sort of made me uncertain if it was a PSA or a car ad, a big fail for me, but I don't drive

• Like 3

Seems very progressive for the US still :(

Now if you want to go further into futuristic fantasy:

Gay Cat:

Not sure if it is because I am starting to like cats or if I am developing a Furry fetish, but the cat is sort of cute in a weird manly genetically engineered way.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 4

This is another one I remember, which was made by NOM (National Organization for Marriage). It ran somewhere between 2008 and 2009, though I'm not sure when.

Not long after that, however, some of the brilliant parodies were released. This first one is my favorite.

And I discovered this one for the first time today.

• Like 1

This is the last one I'll add for today. This is actually the first one I ever saw, but I have no idea when it came out other than "prior to February 2006".

• Like 2

Let me start off with this one that overtly referenced a guy coming out to sell "Infiniti" Brand Cars:

This is weird and sort of made me uncertain if it was a PSA or a car ad, a big fail for me, but I don't drive

I never saw this ad as a "coming out" ad.  Did you notice that in the pics with his dad, they're standing by BMW cars?  That's what I saw with this ad, that the son was confessing he'd bought an infinity instead of a BMW.  It's sort of like my Dad's side of the family always drove Fords while on my mom's side it was chevy.  When I bought a Honda, they were all "whaaaa?"  :P

It was supposed to be a Smarties commercial? I don't think it originated from this side of the pond. I never saw it aired, pity it was I think a good one. You have wait to the end to see the connection to here (or fast forward).

(I eat the red ones last)

Sandrewn

A parody of the McDonald's add I post earlier

This is so cute and family oriented

at first i thought i found this advert uncomfortable because im english, and awkward is what we do. ive changed my mind. its just terrible.

unfortunately i can also confirm that this advert is 100% legitimate, because i have a connection to this company.

can also add this one from Lloyds bank. not a 'gay advert' as such, but very very surprising at the time because of the feature of the gay proposal scene at 00:17 and the implied acceptance at 00:48, after some unpopularity in making gay marriage legal in the UK

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 2

at first i thought i found this advert uncomfortable because im english, and awkward is what we do. ive changed my mind. its just terrible.

unfortunately i can also confirm that this advert is 100% legitimate, because i have a connection to this company.

Terrible is a polite way of describing it :pinch: It was squirmingly awful! I think it looked even worse when compared with the Lloyd's advert which put across essentially the same message.

You know, as cringeworthy as the Dyas ad is, I find it kind of endearing. It feels like real employees and customers speaking and in the slightly ridiculous way of dividing people into different slots when all they want is a pot (or a minion...) shows how ridiculous it is to make this difference in other aspects of life. To me, it's much more powerful than the slick and polished bank commercial, which struck me as using the 'gay' as embellishment. And I really like horses...

• Like 2

You know, as cringeworthy as the Dyas ad is, I find it kind of endearing. It feels like real employees and customers speaking and in the slightly ridiculous way of dividing people into different slots when all they want is a pot (or a minion...) shows how ridiculous it is to make this difference in other aspects of life. To me, it's much more powerful than the slick and polished bank commercial, which struck me as using the 'gay' as embellishment. And I really like horses...

I can reassure you that we got utterly lynched by customers for it :)

And I like horses too :D