[DomLuka] Which Is Your Favourite Dom Story?

Which Is Your Favourite Dom Story?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Your Favourite Dom Story?

• The Lo(n)g Way
    • The Ordinary Us
    • Desert Dropping
    • With Trust
    • The Spirit of James
    • Under the Mistletoe
    • Valetine's Day Goes to the Dog

Out With Harrison Polk?

What is this OWHP of which you speak?

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3606

Surely some of you have cared about characters or real people that you didn't particularly like.

The Christmas one was fine. I haven't read the James story or Harrison Polk

Yes, I know what you mean.

As for the Spirit of James I'd say that's my favourite of the short stories, definitely worth checking out :)

Each of Dom's stories have a special feature that pulls at me.

The Lo(n)g Way: Aiden's combination of self-possession around school and with Owen v. his "little-boy lost" vulnerability when dealing w/his mom is very appealing.

The Ordinary Us: Quinn truly exemplifies the journey from deep denial to acceptance of who he is and wants to be. He touches a cord w/me.

Desert Dropping (I really don't get that title): There are some many aspects of Rory's life experience that I can identify w/(except the gay dad part) that there isn't enough room here to comment.

With Trust: What a beautiful couple Nelson & Milo are! I am so rooting for them to make it.

Favorite? Just as a parent loves (or should) each of his/her children totally, without reservation and without in any way detracting from the love he/she bears the other children, I cherish (cue the music....) all of Dom's stories and could not dream of 'ranking' one over the other. :music:

Like many others, The Log Way was my introduction to Dom's writing and I was captivated by the story right away. The relationship between Owen and Aiden was very touching and sweet - reminded me of an old-fashined courtship. So TLW remains my favorite. The Ordinary Us was okay although it really annoyed me at times - Quinn is not a character that I like or even had very much sympathy for. Desert Dropping was a very emotional story occassionally bringing tears to my eyes. Rory was interesting and likeable because of the wide range of emotions and the way in which he fell prey to his naivete. With Trust is a good read so far, but I don't find myself emotionally vested in the story like I was with TLW and DD. So my ranking or the stories that I read is:

1. The Log Way

2. Desert Dropping

3. With Trust

4. The Spirit of James

5. The Ordinary Us

Out With Harrison Polk?

What is this OWHP of which you speak?

:o:o:o .......Follow the link that Afriendlyface posted and go read it......omg it's fricken awesome!!!!!

Also, what's up with DD losing so badly in the poll??? I mean, I liked Log Way, but I kept thinking it was going to eventually end up being about the forest or a sawmill or something and TOU was ok, but I think DD was wayyyyyyyyyyy better. Of course, that might be because we had to wait 5 months for chapter 9 :sheep::sheep::sheep: Either way, it was totally worth the wait and hopefully Dom puts With Trust on hold for 5 months so he can work on Out with harrison Polk :)

I'd slightly favo(u)r TOU, because I find the description of Quinn's coming out process very compelling. Having a preference for complex characters, I might have opted for DD, if Aaron's ambuigity had been more in the focus of that story. But this is just due to my my personal taste, I guess.

Edited by DavyReader
Also, what's up with DD losing so badly in the poll??? I mean, I liked Log Way, but I kept thinking it was going to eventually end up being about the forest or a sawmill or something and TOU was ok, but I think DD was wayyyyyyyyyyy better. Of course, that might be because we had to wait 5 months for chapter 9 :sheep::sheep::sheep: Either way, it was totally worth the wait and hopefully Dom puts With Trust on hold for 5 months so he can work on Out with harrison Polk :)

I think many was upset about Rory and Aaron and that Rory was quite clueless for a long time. Myself was thinking 'cannot this guy (Rory) get anything right?' for a long time. These emmotions could spill out over the story as is. :huh:

So now it's just one to go for Harrison Polk :boy::great:

Ratatosk

4. Desert Dropping - The title completely threw me off of reading this one at first. The fact that the description said it was in Arizona.. blech. Lol so when I finally started reading it, I found that my first impression was very wrong. I loved Luke's character, and couldn't wait for Rory and Luke to get together. When Aaron came into the picture, I found myself liking him too. But then.. Seth.. I just didn't see it. I don't really know what I had against Seth, he just seemed very bland no matter how much sweet things he did. I really loved this story when it was between Luke and Rory.. even when it was between Aaron and Rory.. but somehow it just didn't seem right when it became Seth and Rory. It's like Quinn choosing Tayler over Jude, it just wasn't right damnit! lol.. but it was well written regardless, and I admit that some of the things Seth did were f**kin sweet as hell. I just wished it could have been Luke to do those things. =(

wow, i don't think there is any way i could of said this any better , BUT this is exactly how i felt throughtout my entire DD journey... haha thought i was the only one..

totally stoked

Desert Dropping is the best. All the personalities were well-developed and each was unique. Plenty of teenaged angst, suspense (including cliffhangers), and a little comic relief. A sequel would be welcome.

Hello everyone! :)

Also, what's up with DD losing so badly in the poll???

You call 16 votes compared to 23 votes 'losing so badly'? Actually it seems that all of Dom's stories have found their audience with some being slightly more popular.

I am a bit sorry to see his short stories in this poll, as they are a breed of their own and in my eyes not a fair match compared to a full grown story of 20+ chapters. Just to reassure Dom I'd like to say that I really enjoyed both 'The spirit of James' and 'Under the mistletoe' and I am looking forward to read another 'quick fix' every now and then. ;)

Also I am under the impression that it is wrong to have 'With Trust' among this competition as long as the story is still being written. There are two main reasons for this:

1.) Being the current work in progress it is natural, that 'With Trust' still provides us with a lot of suspense. We are curios what will happen next, hoping for our favourite characters to make a good move and making bets on the outcome of certain situations. In layman's terms: We are Domaholics waiting for our fix. ;) It is natural that while we - as readers - are preoccupied with the story, it is likely to seem 'more interesting' and thus sometimes 'better' than some finished piece of work.

2.) There is still much that can happen in 'With Trust'. Some will like how the events turn out, others may dislike it. I recall several people not liking DD at first but coming around with the progress of that story.

My very own listing of Dom's stories:

Short stories:

1.) The Spirit of James

2.) Under the Mistletoe

3.) Valentine's Day Goes to the Dog

His 'larger' works:

1.) The Ordinary Us

2.) Desert Dropping

3.) The Lo(n)g Way

I'll add 'With Trust' once it is finished.

Wind in your fur and stars in your eyes.

LazyWolf

I don't really know what I had against Seth, he just seemed very bland no matter how much sweet things he did. I really loved this story when it was between Luke and Rory.. even when it was between Aaron and Rory.. but somehow it just didn't seem right when it became Seth and Rory. It's like Quinn choosing Tayler over Jude,

Good comparison.

However, Taylor is so much more interesting than Seth.

Desert Dropping is the best. All the personalities were well-developed and each was unique. Plenty of teenaged angst, suspense (including cliffhangers), and a little comic relief. A sequel would be welcome.

I was about to suggest a prequel would be better. But then I realized that a combined prequel/sequel about Luke and Aaron could really be good.

We may be getting to the point where, if we are to get all of the prequels and sequels we want and the unfinished stories all get finished, Dom would need to quit his day job, write prolifically, and live into his 90s.

I'd have to say Desert Dropping is my favourite story. though I'll always have a soft spot for The Ordinary Us, since it was the first DomLuka story I've read. Among the short stories I'd have to give credit to the Mistletoe story, since it was so sweet. But the Doggie Valantine's was cute too!

• 4 years later...

TOU wins, hands down. Out of all of Dom's stories, it's the one I keep going back and reading over and over again. Love it. Then it would have to be DD, and TLW.

TOU wins, hands down. Out of all of Dom's stories, it's the one I keep going back and reading over and over again. Love it. Then it would have to be DD, and TLW.

Really? I so didn't like Quinn.... I think In The Fish Bowl is downright brilliant. I love The Lo(n)g Way, but it is fuffy compared to ITFB. ITFB could be a Masterpiece Theater mini-series.

• Like 1